Hey guys,

I've been playign for a while, and I felt stagnant so i went back to a getting lessons.

So on my first lesson, it turns out my alternate picking is completely wrong.

E.g.

------------------7--9--10
----7--9--10-------------

D U D D U D

I sometimes do that and I didn't even notice it wasn't alternate when I change strings. Now I've been doing that forever and am pretty fast at doing that, to the pt where its just second nature, but now that his changing it, i find its just so slow and impossible to do because I'm so use to the other way

Anyone else play like this? Anyone else play like this and teacher doesn't care?

Its upsetting to know everything you've been doing is "incorrect".
What i mean is like, and i know this sounds arrogant, but don't they basically achieve the same results, economy and alternate?

I am relearning everything because I already gave the guy a $200 advance on lessons, but i wanna like know what ive done so far isnt useless
Economy can be easier for fast runs on consecutive strings, but I personally find that alternate picking gives a more defined sound and is helpful for string skipping as well. That being said, I employ both regularly and it's definitely worthwhile to practice both.
Yes, you should feel better. All you have to do is practice your alternate picking and you'll be exactly where you thought you would be without having to redo everything you've learned.
u can learn economy picking, sweep picking etc etc but the basic of all is a good and solid alternate picking
Quote by henza_x
Hey guys,

I've been playign for a while, and I felt stagnant so i went back to a getting lessons.

So on my first lesson, it turns out my alternate picking is completely wrong.

E.g.

------------------7--9--10
----7--9--10-------------

D U D D U D

I sometimes do that and I didn't even notice it wasn't alternate when I change strings. Now I've been doing that forever and am pretty fast at doing that, to the pt where its just second nature, but now that his changing it, i find its just so slow and impossible to do because I'm so use to the other way

Anyone else play like this? Anyone else play like this and teacher doesn't care?

Its upsetting to know everything you've been doing is "incorrect".

It's not incorrect, it's just not alternate picking. Economy picking is a very useful skill to have, but it's useful only in certain situations. A solid grasp of alternate picking will benefit you greatly.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.