hey i was wondering what the good small tube amps are? i've heard of the epi's and blackhearts but what else is there and which one should i get. i like classic rock and some harder stuff like meatallica and stuff like that. right now i have a 15w crate that blows. i want something louder but not to loud and something that sounds ALOT better. thanks!
i'm in the same situation as you. i've narrowed my choices down to the fender pro jr ($350ish), the peavey classic 30 ($600), and a used vox ac15 (somewhere between $300-$600).

the vox had some very dark and deep tones. very unique. i also played a fender blues jr. i wasn't impressed at all. and whatever you do, don't get the fender super champ XD. it's not worth it at all.

i'm hearing that the pro jr is the best as well as the cheapest.
Just picked up a used Classic 30 and love its versatility. Got it for $325. I play most everything but metal.
Quote by Chug Porter
Just picked up a used Classic 30 and love its versatility. Got it for $325. I play most everything but metal.

But not the TS. TS there are not that many small tube amps that are good at metal. The only thing you might find in that range is a 5150 combo, thats probably best you can do. That or a used Ashdown Fallen Angel
In order to get solid classic rock/metal tones in your budget here's exactly what I'd do:

Guitar -> ProCo Rat -> Boss NS-2 -> Blackheart/Epiphone stack

To be perfectly honest you're not looking at having a lot of options. I would solidly recommend something else, but given your desired sound this is the best setup I can think up that will suit your budget and requirements.

On another note, if you've never run a Rat into a VJ, try it sometime. It will feedback like no other (hence the noise reduction, I generally just run it through channel one on my ISP) but will sound like a completely different amp. The Rat tightens up the loose low end so much it would be easy to mistake the amp for a class AB, and the distortion is quite modern sounding. Actually I'll record some clips the next time my drummer drags out his recording equipment.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM