Hey guys

Im deciding between two deals on ebay

Marshall JCM2000 100w DSL + JCM900 cab + road case for head for $1000

or

Peavey 5150 + peavey cab for $1500

I play ... bmth, parkway, alexisonfire, like to use cleans, as blood runs black, rage against the machine....

Any suggestions ( i live in australia, prfer second hand buys)

edit - the peavey guy said he will chuck in a boss chorus and another boss pedal in to
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
Last edited by gface at Mar 28, 2008,
I"m a fan of peavey, but from what I've heard of each of these, I think the marshall might be a better bet. Honestly, I'm not that great of a reference for this, but if I was offered peavey and marshall, I'd probly go with the marshall regardless 9/ 10. that's just my 2 sense
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
I say go with the Peavey... But its all personal preference on what voicing you like. Marshall does somethings better and Peavey does somethings better. Due to British vs American Voicing. So figure out what music you play most and go with that..
like seriously.. how bad are the cleans on the peavey? i play metal.. but like to break away some times and play some softer stuff. alexisonfire use marshalls and i like their tone.. but i want the br00talz... god damn this is a tuff pick
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by gface
like seriously.. how bad are the cleans on the peavey? i play metal.. but like to break away some times and play some softer stuff. alexisonfire use marshalls and i like their tone.. but i want the br00talz... god damn this is a tuff pick

Well your getting the 6505+ so its going to have decent cleans, you will just have to back off the volume a little and i heard a chorus pedal does wonders.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Well your getting the 6505+ so its going to have decent cleans, you will just have to back off the volume a little and i heard a chorus pedal does wonders.

its a 5150 not 6505+
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by gface

It's safe to say the marshall will blow away the 5150 for clean
Quote by gface
its a 5150 not 6505+

Ohh so its a 5150 + not a 5150+

Yea cleans are gonna be a pain then lol
You basically do the same thing but the + model has alot better cleans.
yeah... hmmmi dont know what to do
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
what about a mesa vtwin rack version? would that get me dual rect distortion and good cleans?
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by strat212
I"m a fan of peavey, but from what I've heard of each of these, I think the marshall might be a better bet. Honestly, I'm not that great of a reference for this, but if I was offered peavey and marshall, I'd probly go with the marshall regardless 9/ 10. that's just my 2 sense

the saying is "thats just my two cents"
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
you're saying that there's not worse spelling and grammar errors on UG? please, begin your crusade
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
MESA F-50 or F-30... or MESA Rectoverb. if your willing to shell out a little more cash try a used mark IV or used triple recto...
Out of those two, for what you play and the prices, I'd probably go with the Marshall and just get an OD pedal for more tightness and gain. It's a little hollow sounding to me but I'm sure with a good OD or EQ pedal it could really bring it to life. The cab that comes with this is also A LOT better than the Peavey and the roadcase is always nice to keep it safe, plus it's cheaper.

The 5150 will get all the gain you'd need, though the Marshall might as well, but it sufferes in the clean department. When I had mine I sold it because I found it to be pretty muddy sounding not to mention if you do buy it, you're going to have to buy a noise gate pedal more than likely if you don't already because the amp has an extreme amount of feedback by itself. Cleans are decent though if you use a chorus, not the best, but passable, they're also a lot better at lower volumes, so if you don't plan on playing it loud all the time, cleans might be fine for you. The only problem I have with this combo is the cab and the fact that it's 50% more than the Marshall combo which is a better value, I think at least. Peavey cabs suck for the price (imo).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
in australia its rare to find a 5150, so they have good resale value.. i want to get a mesa one day so i could resell it and get a decent amount back?
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
get the marshall and buy a ts9

peavys cleans are crap ...the overdrive is good but its way too much gain then anyone ever needs (even crappy metal bands that want to hide there crappy playing)
Guitars- Gibson SG Stanadard (stock)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Emg 81/85

Amp- Marshall Jcm 2000 DSL/1960 Lead Cab

Pedals- Boss TU-2, Ibanez TS-9, Boss NS-2, Line 6 DL-4, Boss Ph-3, Boss GE-7
the marshall is what your looking for if you want cleans, but the 5150 is the better deal overall