I couldn't decide wether or not I should post this here or in the Electric guitar forum, but I decided it should go here since it's about tabs, but please move it if it's wrong. It's not a recommendation, but then again, it kinda doesn't fit into the EGF. Stress.

I need to send in a form today, and I need to know what song I'm going to play. I'm applying for a 3 year guitar education and they want me to play three songs, two from a list they have compiled and one that I can choose myself. I had decided on a song but then I found another one yesterday and now I don't know which one to choose.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/t/tommy_emmanuel/windy_and_warm_power_tab.htm
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/i/in_flames/dialogue_with_the_stars_power_tab.htm

I have to decide today and I have a few weeks to practice seeing as it's in the end of May I'll be performing the songs for the judge :p. I've started on the first song, and I'm having a few problems with it. I won't go too much into detail, cus it's not really big problems but they're difficult to explain. I'm worried about bars 18 and 29-34, and I haven't gotten as far into the song as to bars 46-57, so I don't know if it's a little bit of a finger twisting playing it or not (I'm literally occupied with a school project from 4-9, so I don't have that much time to practice as of late).

The other song though, I've never played it before, I was playing some of it yesterday, but then I saw I need to retune my guitar for it, and I managed to break a bass string :|. I didn't find the note and I let it too loose and when I tried getting it back up it kept unwinding the wire and the wire that was inside the cable going around it came more and more visible as I tried getting the string back. It's not that horrible, it's in a way simpler than the other song, but I'm used to playing songs like that, I learned playing classical and rock is new to me. But the second song isn't that difficult and all I'd need to do is learn it really slowly and then pick up the speed some. It's either picking up the speed on the other one or learning the fingertwisting bits of the first one.

Advice? I'm leaning towards the second one, but I wanted to know what other people think.
Quote by ChrisN
...but before our bassist moved on to bass, he played guitar. He was trying to learn barre chords. To make his fingers stay, he sellotaped his whole hand to the fret board.
Then he got cramp and couldn't get the tape of without scissors.
It's a tough choice really. I mean, they're both completely different styles. The first one is more impressive, especially if you're playing it by yourself. The second one is good but you'd need both guitar parts to make it sound full. However the second is much easier to learn. If you've got until May just pick which style you like best, presuming you'll have enough time to learn it. It's better to play an easier song really well than playing a harder one really badly.
Quote by #1 synth
Brilliant

Quote by Pl3h-B0y
nachocheeez, that was awesome.
The songs you could choose for the two mandatory ones were really easy, they were all single notes all the time. And if I want to I can have a band backup to play with me, I need to send in the notes for it. But I don't know if I wanna play with a band, I've never played in front of anybody and they're expecting me to play WITH people? But if I do choose the first one, it's gonna sound crap, because I don't know how to mute and it's got so much open notes. I am gonna take some private lessons so I can get a little help for the theory test you need to take, and I had planned for him to help me out with the muting as well. But I just don't know which one to chose .
Quote by ChrisN
...but before our bassist moved on to bass, he played guitar. He was trying to learn barre chords. To make his fingers stay, he sellotaped his whole hand to the fret board.
Playing with people always has it's ups and downs. If it's a good band it's gonna make the song sound awesome... but if they suck then watch out. And on another downside if there's a whole band playing they might overlook you, which is stupid cause you're the main focus.
Maybe just don't choose the first one, since you've acknowledged that it's hard and you might not perfect it in time.
Quick question, if you choose the second one can you have a backing CD instead of a band? Cause that could work out. Maybe record yourself playing the other part?
And last question, can you pick another song? You may find something that suits more.
Quote by #1 synth
Brilliant

Quote by Pl3h-B0y
I sent off the form (express so it would get there in time, it has to be in on Monday, bloody 6 €!!!) and I changed the song to BB King's The thrill is gone. Sigh. It's not as an exciting song. I know I can learn it easily :P.

Thanks for your time and advice
Quote by ChrisN
No problemo Glad you ended up choosing something, and I must say it's a really good song!
Hopefully everything goes well. Good luck practicing for the big day.
Quote by #1 synth
Brilliant

Quote by Pl3h-B0y