hey guys. my mom is planning to buy me a guitar this april. i want a telecaster but she doesnt want to spend much on the guitar. i'm looking at squier telecasters because she doesn't want to buy a fender. i really like the telecaster style.

1. Squier Affinity Series Telecaster
2. Squier Standard Telecaster
3. Squier Black and Chrome Telecaster

i've narrowed my choice to these three.
which tele is better in your opinion?
thanks...
The Standard. I own a nice Affinity (currently being sanded and modded), but they may be less consistent in quality than the Standard. The Black and Chrome is too flash unless you like John 5.

Although I plan to upgrade to a new Telecaster (maybe), it should be noted that the Squier Teles are very good approximations of Fenders in feel and tone, but make sure you try before you buy.
The Affinity Tele is a cheap option and has plenty of potential to be modified over time. It's a decent guitar to start off with and with some hardware and electronic changes you'll have a good guitar. Also, unlike on the Standard series Squiers, you get an alder body rather than agathis and alder is a better wood, really.

Edit: Curse your speed, The Red Strat!
Quote by Denthúl
The Affinity Tele is a cheap option and has plenty of potential to be modified over time. It's a decent guitar to start off with and with some hardware and electronic changes you'll have a good guitar. Also, unlike on the Standard series Squiers, you get an alder body rather than agathis and alder is a better wood, really.

I didn't know the Standard was Agathis! I knew my Affinity was alder. I'd say go for the Affinity then, in particular the Butterscotch Affinity Special. That was nicer than a Standard Fender I tried a few weeks ago.

On top of which, the Affinity is only £105-120 at the most so it really is a bargain, although mine was only £50!
Quote by Denthúl

Edit: Curse your speed, The Red Strat!

hehe

you gave more information anyway, so it wasn't in vain
Quote by leviticus_22953
what's the difference between the sound produced from alder and agathis?

Alder, I think, is the Standard wood for Fender Teles, and has more of the classic tonal character than Agathis, which by most peoples opinion is pretty crap with poor tonal quality. It's also a nice weight and as I've found out since sanding mine back, a very pretty grain.
but i've read from other reviews that the affinity telecaster is crap and the standard telecaster is better. others say the affinity tele is good. i'm having a hard time choosing between the two.
Try them out but really, I'd go for the Affinity in the end (didn't take me long to change my mind). I have one and the ones I''ve played have been excellent.

Don
The Standard comes with better stock parts on it. But they still aren't great. I guess it's down to whether or not you'll want to replace them. If you can be bothered to do so, maybe saving up to replace a part at a time, then the Affinity would be better because it's cheaper. If not, then the Standard.

Also, the tonal qualities of alder and agathis are very similar. But if you can have alder, you might as well, really.
hmm.. the standard or the affinity?? i've tried them and i like them both...
it's really hard to chose between the two. regarding the pickups, which is better, the standard or the affinity?
The Standard, but again they aren't that much better. Definitely not enough to warrant the £80+ price-difference between the two guitars.
I'd try for a second hand standard. I bought a well kept squier tele that was made in 1994 for 80£, and it sounds amazing and plays great to. it can keep up with all the telecaster standards I've played it against. Anyways, go play a few, because with the squier line every now and then you get an excellent one, and try for second hand as in my experience they get better with age
there's no second hand shop near my place... hmmm... i'm afraid of buying a 2nd hand guitar because i might get tricked into buying a fake squier..
I've never seen a fake squier, I doubt anyone would bother making a fake of an already cheap guitar.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
haha. thanks.

i really want the tele so bad. but i get different feedbacks from the standard and the affinity. i don't want to spend that much on hardware and electronics because its expensive here in the philippines.
If thats the case, go ahead and get the Standard. It will have better hardware that will last longer. If getting things to you is difficult its really the way to go. I have a Standard and it is really nice, it plays as good as my MIM Tele did.
hmmm.... i'm having a hard time choosing. the standard tele here in the philippines costs twice than the affinity series. i plan to get the butterscotch finish of the affinity but the website says that they dont have the butterscotch finish but they have the vintage blonde telecaster... i don't know which to choose.
If thats the case, go ahead and get the Standard. It will have better hardware that will last longer. If getting things to you is difficult its really the way to go. I have a Standard and it is really nice, it plays as good as my MIM Tele did.

can you give me a brief review of the standard? thanks.
Quote by leviticus_22953
hey guys. my mom is planning to buy me a guitar this april. i want a telecaster but she doesnt want to spend much on the guitar. i'm looking at squier telecasters because she doesn't want to buy a fender. i really like the telecaster style.

1. Squier Affinity Series Telecaster
2. Squier Standard Telecaster
3. Squier Black and Chrome Telecaster

i've narrowed my choice to these three.
which tele is better in your opinion?
thanks...

Smack your mother upside the head and say BITCH GET ME A FENDER MIM TELE!
Definatly go for the standard you will be much happier. I have owned the black and chrome tele, great guitar for the money.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Quote by leviticus_22953
thanks telemoster. i think i'd probably go for the standard.

why not get a used MIM tele ? if you're lucky, it'll be around the same price but much better.
^Or a used lite ash, difference in quality between the MIM and Lite Ash is phenominal, over here theres only a £20 price difference, so im not sure how it is for wherever the TS. But worth a look for sure.
i'll try looking for some. if i can't, i'd go for the standard telecaster, but if go short on cash, i'd get the affinity.
My nephew has a Affinity tele and I had the standard black and chrome as I stated earlier, Some of the differences I noticed when directly comparing them.

Standard had string through body bridge Affinity does not.
Standard is noticably heavier
Standard has 2 string trees Affinity has 1
Standard has better input jack Affinity has a plate style( ive replaced my nephews twice so far)
Standard has larger frets
Standard has a traditional tele pickup selector Affinity has a less substatial switch
I think all affinities have maple fingerboards as well

You should test each guitar you are considering yourself before buying but look for the things I have pointed out.

Also keep in mind the black anc chrome model is just a standard black tele with a mirror pickguard, I bought the same pickguard off Ebay for $15 for my nephews red tele.

I hope this info is usefull in your desicion.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Last edited by telemonster at Mar 29, 2008,