Hi,

I'm like a real beginner and I've been using an old classical guitar for ages, and i now want to get a electric and amp. I've decided to go for the Squier Affinity Telecaster but i can't decide on an amplifier... I want one with good effects (Reverb, Echo etc..) but i dont wanna blow the budget. I'm looking 2 spend about £60 -£80. I have been looking at Line6 Spider III 15.... Any comments or ideas????

Thanks
Leave the Spider well alone. It is garbage. What music do you play?

I'd say go for a Vox Valvetronix, it's around your price range.
Hi,

Thanks very much 4 ur reply.... Why is the Spider garbage???

I play alternative, indie, garage rock, classic rock, punk, some heavy rock, but not too heavy... any more suggestions based on that??

Thanks
because it's unresponsive, digital sounding, thin, and simply bad.

the valvetronix would be fine for those genres
Yeah, i was thinking of the micro cube??? what do u think about those??? aparrently even tho they are 2 watts they pack an almighty punch

Thanks
No, stick with the Vox. It's a nice starter amp if you want built-in effects. The Spider has very bad cleans and the distortion is only good when it's turned up really high.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Roland Microcube

/thread
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
I've got a spider II (see my sig) and its alright, but the distortion and effects sound really horrible and metallic (not in a good way, lol). I didnt really notice it until i got my vox VR15, which comes highly recommended
As much as the Spiders are maligned in many guitar circles, they really do make great beginner amps. Personally I'd rather have a Valvetronix, but the low wattage Spiders do at least have the redeeming quality of being a good starting point (the higher wattage Spiders don't count as they have no redeeming qualities).
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by krazykop
Yeah, i was thinking of the micro cube??? what do u think about those??? aparrently even tho they are 2 watts they pack an almighty punch

Thanks

not a great amp IMO. the DA5 by vox is better by far, and has more options.
Thanks for all the advice, but the Vox is just a tad too expensive..... I think the effects on the Micro Cube are really good and the volume is really good, any comments??!!?!?!
damn....look at all those questions marks and exclamation points after his sentence! . . krazykop really IS krazy!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
If it's just for practice (practice NOT with a drummer) the VOX DA5 and Microcube would be fine. I opted for the Vox but that was out of preference. If you will be playing with a drummer at some point, these won't do.
+1 to the Cube. I tried out one a few weeks ago, and I was absolutly amazed that a inexpensive Solid State could sound that good. btw a tele wouldn't be very good for heavier stuff.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Last edited by classicrocker01 at Mar 28, 2008,
Get the roland cube.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Cheers guys.... Yeah im not gonna use the amp around a drummer, also, i tried out the Spider III and it seems as though its really crunchy and for really heavy stuff and im not into that stuff, so on that basis would u recommend the MicroCube

Cheers
+1 for the VOX.

I used to own the AD30VT and it has really nice models. Still can't hold a candle to the real thing but excellent if you don't have thousands to blow on vintage amps and effects.

A couple of my co-workers have the AD15VT and are pleased with them as practice amps.
Yes. Microcube.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Thanks for your advice,

does anyone have the microbube because i would like to hear from someone who has it how it performs and how loud it is.... Thanx
thanx guys! xD
kRazY kOp

My mates band- Shrill, Viridian Things

Check it out!!!!!!!! 3rd song down...soooo good!!

Gear;

Fender Squier Affinity Tele
Roland Cube 30X <---- a buckin frilliant amp :-)