my ESP has agathis in it. It sounds alright but I think that's due to a shitty amp.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
agathis is a cheap tonewood, usually used in squiers or bronze warlocks and stuff. doesn't have too much character to it IMO, but it sounds alright
what amp do you use?
i'm thinking of buying a telecaster and i'm stuck with either an alder or agathis body.
For a Tele, go with Alder
Set Up

Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Fender Princeton Chorus Amp
Fender Acoustic 12 String
Samick Acoustic 6 String
Line 6 POD X3 Live
i was planning to buy a squier telecaster with agathis or alder. the alder was the affinity series. a lot of people say it's crappy. while the standard had agathis.
go for the alder. definitely, even if its crappier than the standard, you can always mod it and it will sound tonnes better than any agathis guitar. for the agathis, if you want to improve your guitar's wood you'd have to replace the body, in which you might as well sell it off.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Everyone says agathis sucks. It's not actually BAD, but there are better woods. It's reserved for cheap guitars.

Alder gives a balanced tone, perhaps with some sparkly high-end.

Agathis sounds warmer, but it might sometimes be a bit muddy.
Quote by leviticus_22953
so you're saying i'd go for the affinity series?...even though its crap...

the affinity series is a considerable upgrade from the lower down ones made of agathis. so i'd say yes.
Tip: get a Yamaha Pacifica 112 or an Ibanez GSA60. You'll be better off.

i already have an Ibanez RG321MH. i'm satisfied with the humbucker's sound. right now, i'm looking for the twangy and bright sound of a single coil and the telecaster fits that description.
holy ****
8 people just ****ing told you
affinity

Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
last question. don't get mad.
are the pickups on the affinity series good? or should i change it once i buy it?
You get to decide that for yourself. If you're happy with the tone when you get it then leave the pickups. If not, upgrade them.

That depends on your amp though, what kind of amp do you have? Don't bother upgrading pickups yet if you have a cheap amp.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Affinity = yes

The alder used in the affiniy squiers is low grade anyway, i doubt its going to have a giant tonal difference from agathis.

But the affinity teles are good anyway .. >_>
Quote by leviticus_22953
low grade alder? would it have different sound from the agathis?
Possibly not. Low grade alder tends to not have quite the same 'brightness' that decent alder has. It'd withstand knocks and bumps better than the agathis would though.

Quote by J rock
alder is better
mahogany is best
That's completely stupid. Alder and mahogany are at almost complete opposite ends of the tonal spectrum, you can't even begin to compare them.

Though for what it's worth, I do think mahogany Strats sound pretty good... as do alder Les Pauls.

Generally speaking, body woods that you should look for are:
- Mahogany
- Alder
- Ash (various species)
- Basswood

Neck woods to use are usually:
- Maple
- Alder
- Mahogany

And the general rule of thumb is, the more you're paying, the higher grade the wood will be, and yes, this does effect the tone. It is better, for example, to get high-grade agathis, over low-grade alder. That said, mid-grade alder costs the same roughly as high-grade agathis is and both sounds and wears better, so agathis is still a redundant material.

Of the above listed good woods, which you want depends on what tone you want and the body type. For example, a basswood Les Paul sounds thicker than a mahogany Strat, though a mahogany Les Paul sounds even thicker still than the basswood LP. Then there's the issue of having maple caps or not...

Generally, a pure mahogany Les Paul or Firebird type guitar is considered to have the lowest tone, an alder/maple Strat will have the brightest. Most basswood, ash, and mahogany/maple combo guitars have a middle-ground tone.
Try them out.

Ive only played the Affinity. Its a great guitar. In the future you can upgrade hardware etc. regardless. But if you picked up the standard, you couldnt change the body..
bokuho Quote:
Originally Posted by leviticus_22953
low grade alder? would it have different sound from the agathis?

Possibly not. Low grade alder tends to not have quite the same 'brightness' that decent alder has. It'd withstand knocks and bumps better than the agathis would though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J rock
alder is better
mahogany is best

That's completely stupid. Alder and mahogany are at almost complete opposite ends of the tonal spectrum, you can't even begin to compare them.

Though for what it's worth, I do think mahogany Strats sound pretty good... as do alder Les Pauls.

Generally speaking, body woods that you should look for are:
- Mahogany
- Alder
- Ash (various species)
- Basswood

Neck woods to use are usually:
- Maple
- Alder
- Mahogany

And the general rule of thumb is, the more you're paying, the higher grade the wood will be, and yes, this does effect the tone. It is better, for example, to get high-grade agathis, over low-grade alder. That said, mid-grade alder costs the same roughly as high-grade agathis is and both sounds and wears better, so agathis is still a redundant material.

Of the above listed good woods, which you want depends on what tone you want and the body type. For example, a basswood Les Paul sounds thicker than a mahogany Strat, though a mahogany Les Paul sounds even thicker still than the basswood LP. Then there's the issue of having maple caps or not...

Generally, a pure mahogany Les Paul or Firebird type guitar is considered to have the lowest tone, an alder/maple Strat will have the brightest. Most basswood, ash, and mahogany/maple combo guitars have a middle-ground tone.

so what can you recommend for a telecaster? alder or agathis?