One man norwegian acoustic folk band. I know this isn't metal, but seeing as there's no folk forum, I figured it would fit best with metal, and this band is too amazing to go unnoticed. Besides, as I see on last fm the band's fanbase is 99% metal listeners, and the atmosphere is similar to doom and some black, sort of sorrowful and beautiful. If you like nature inspired metal as I do you should like this.

http://www.myspace.com/valiband

Let me know what you think
OMG, I love it.

Thank you, been looking for something like this for a long time.
recommended for fans of Tenhi, Empyrium, Nest etc
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

I've already tried putting it in Other but it didn't get any responses there and as it's similar (in a way) to some metal I guessed the metal crowd would appreciate it more.
Yeah, this is pretty cool. I'm always down for well-done acoustic stuff... is there anything similar to this/ Ulver's Kveldssanger album that I should check out? I only ask here because... well, where else to ask?
I'll pretend I haven't seen this in here because it has to be the most un-metal thing I've ever heard that has been linked from the metal forum, but it does seem to be getting a decent responses.
The closest part to him being metal is the black background on his myspace page.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
been listening to these guys a few days, and really good, and very much like Agalloch's new album
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
For Vali's fans, his main band is Skumring.. an awesome melodic doom band with beautiful female vox. No growly bits. Acoustic guitars here and there, beautiful riffs galore.

www.myspace.com/skumring
Quote by Andrewbiles
I'll pretend I haven't seen this in here because it has to be the most un-metal thing I've ever heard that has been linked from the metal forum, but it does seem to be getting a decent responses.
The closest part to him being metal is the black background on his myspace page.

Metal is not always about who can play the loudest with the most distortion.
^You gotta have some basic elements though. Regardless, pretty good stuff.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
Quote by metal7690

Right, but I'd hardly call this metal. It just so happens that a lot of people into metal also like this sort of stuff, which is why I think it works in the metal forum.
Quote by Clownmite
Right, but I'd hardly call this metal. It just so happens that a lot of people into metal also like this sort of stuff, which is why I think it works in the metal forum.

Agreed. Which is why I made the point I did. The music, although not sharing the "basic principles of metal" shares the emotion, atmosphere, attitude, and passion of darker metal. And to me, that's all metal really is...not volume, but the way the music is played...the atmosphere and emotions it creates. So I'm just saying to call this stuff "the most un-metal thing ever" doesn't really work. At least in my opinion.

This music is really good, btw.
Quote by metal7690
So I'm just saying to call this stuff "the most un-metal thing ever" doesn't really work. At least in my opinion.

Ah, I misinterpreted your post. I agree.
Quote by metal7690

I wasn't saying it is, but are you really trying to say that folk music with a slightly dark feel is metal?
I understand what you're getting at because it has the atmosphere but this is never in a month of Sundays metal. Its just a kind of dark acid folk.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I guess it just so happens that people who like metal seem to like this kinda music (judging from the responses). It does have that sort of brooding atmosphere that a lotta metal also has tho
This is good stuff.

You guys should check out Empyrium, they're quite similar in nature. Their latest two albums are pure neofolk, and their other two albums have doom metal elements encorporated within them.
^and black metal
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Man Et Ensomt Minne really has me hooked i bloody love that song. I love looking at pics of fjords and mountains while listening to this stuff, fits perfectly
As for similar bands, another is Neun Welten they're pretty good, but not nearly as good as Vàli imo. If you want to look further just look at some of Vàli's similar artists on last fm and you should find some good stuff, I'm just not bothered to do so atm
Argh I want to download some of his stuff. :@
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Quote by Reject_666_6
I know a guy named Vali. Really good music!

Lucky bastard I wouldn't mind being called after a norse god
Bump, just started listening to this band. Very impressed, this being one of the first acoustic folk albums I've heard.
Forlatt is probably one of my favorite folk albums, I love it. Dypt Inne I Skogen owns me every time I listen to it.

Now I'm in the mood for it, time to give it a spin, I'm thinking.
Vali does indeed ****ing own, does he have other albums aside Forlatt?
"We carry death out of the village!"
Oh, nice, there's a thread for Vàli. Saves me having to make one. Really cool stuff; just discovered it, and really liking it.
Forlatt is pretty sweet. Good to hear they (he) has plans for new material, because it's been forever.
Quote by 11thHour
Argh I want to download some of his stuff. :@

Yea, thats the only problem with him not being known, i cant get any of the music.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Excellent stuff. To me it's like a vastly improved Empyrium and Kveldssanger...
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Will be good. One of the handful of remaining albums I'm really looking forward to this year.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"