Hey
I looking at buying a Phase Shifter
does anyone know which one Jimi used???
I dont want a signatrue one....
1 because of the price and 2 because I want it like he used it
Thanks in advance
"Its better to regret something you did then something you didnt do"- Buttholesurfers
Phase shifter?

The closest thing I can think of is a Univibe.

If you're thinking of that whooshing sound towards the end of "Bold as Love", that was probably added afterwards as a studio effect. It's done by putting two tape reels slightly out of phase.

A good phase shifter is the MXR phase 90. It might cost you a bit, though.
As sashki said, phasing effects were done by tape manipulation back then - phasor pedals use flash memory which wasn't around in the '60s.
Quote by smb
As sashki said, phasing effects were done by tape manipulation back then - phasor pedals use flash memory which wasn't around in the '60s.

R u srs? I never knew that. I thought many of them were analogue.
If by phase shifter you mean univibe, you won't want to get a reissue as they are terrible. The best sounding one in a low price range is the Voodoo Lab Microvibe in my opinion, and if you can shell out the cash the Fulltone Deja Vibe is amazing.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
You can try a build your own kit. But getting exactly like he used will be tough. Its even hard to find parts like they used back then.
we never had phase shifters in the 60's... my 1st one was a small stone in the mid 70's (paid hundreds for it too). As stated Jimi used a Univibe on a lot of his recordings.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
The univibe is the swirly sound he gets on a lot of live stuff. It's either that or a rotating speaker which will mimic that

The end of Bold As Love is tape Flanging which is done by putting your thumb on the flange of the tape and speeding up and slowing down the reels.

And plenty of phasers are analog. The Phase 90 and Small Stone included
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild