This is a rough guide in which you can use Hybrid Picking in your playing. When you finish reading this, your not guaranteed to be able to Hybrid Pick, but you will have a little more of a grounding to begin your determined practice.

1.) To begin, place your fingers around the plectrum in a normal fashion(between your thumb and index finger). Do not splay out your fingers across the strings like you see so many famous guitarist doing, you will not be able to complete this technique without tucking your fingers neatly underneath your palm.
Control is the most important factor to remember. If you do not try and build the correct muscle memory through slow practice then you will not progress in a encouraging way.

2.)
Play the open low E string with your plectrum and let it ring, now play the high E string with your ring finger. How easy was that? If it felt very strange and uncomfortable, don't worry. With time it will become natural.

3.)
Now put your fingers in a A major chord position. Let the notes ring throughout.
This is of course a rough starting point. It is not musically accurate. It is only here so you understand the basic idea. Repeat this riff as many times as you need. You can adapt this lick into different chords as well like C major, A minor, D Minor(Bar chord version in the 5th position), and so on.

P = Plectrum
I = Ring finger
M = Middle finger

P I P M P/M
E---------0-------------------|
B----------------2------------|
G---------------------2-------|
D------------2----------------|
A-----0---------------0-------|
E------------------------------|

4.) Now that you have this passage learned off by memory and your fingers are tucked nicely away so that nothing is touching strings in the wrong places, but at the same time, the unwanted strings are muted accurately to enhance the quality of the overall sound, you can move on.

This is also a rough guide but requires a little more time. Use a slight palm mute for this passage so that the notes do not ring out, thus making it giving it an air of blues. This contains the chords E Major and A Major. Also you would like to note that you can incorporate the use of "rolling" in your finger patterns.
Try and practice this on its own. Roll your ring finger on your fretting hard from the E note of the D string (second fret, third string down) to the D note on the G string (Second fret, fourth string down)

Palm mute slightly

(finger roll)

P M/I M/I P M P
E--------------------------------|
B-------0---0-------------------|
G-------1---1-------2----------|
D----------------2--------------|
A-----------------------0--------|
E---0----------------------------|

4.) This next lick is based more on country rather than blues but it still is interlinked. I will be dealing with how you can use Hybrid Picking in rock and in more obscure ways in later articles.
This lick is designed so that the strings ring out in the appropriate places. Try and figure those instances out yourself through your own ears, its good practice. Its not always best to have everything handed to you, an accomplished guitarist is an original, intelligent guitarist.

Now this lick is much harder than the previous as it involves, finger rolling, pull offs, slides and palm muting. Its important, to make this riff sound good, that you mute the most characteristic notes and let the others ring out cleanly. This will require thought, along with practice. You must concentrate on what you are doing, as if you were putting together a complicated Lego model or an engine, or massaging your ladies feet! You have to pay attention or else your muscles will not respond as quickly.

P M I P P M I
E--------------------------------------------------|
B-----------------------------------1s3~~~-----|
G-----------0-----------------0-------------------| Right hand picking pattern
D—-----0--------3p0-5p0----------------------|
A-3s5--------------------------------------------|
E---------------------------------------------------|

Fingers 1 and 3 are used only in this.

3 1 3 1
E----------------------------------------------------|
B-----------------------------------1s3~~~-------|
G-------------0----------------0--------------------| Left hand fingerings (optional)
D—------0--------3p0-5p0------------------------|
A-3s5-----------------------------------------------|
E-----------------------------------------------------|

P M I P P M P M P P
E----------------------------------------0---6--3~~-|
B-----------0-------------5p3p0---------------------|
G-------0------3p0---5------------5-----------------|
D—3s5------------------------------------------------| Right Hand picking pattern
A-------------------------------------------------------|
E-------------------------------------------------------|

Fingers 1,3 and 4 are used in this.

3 1 3 3 1 3 4 1
E----------------------------------------0---6--3~~-|
B-----------0------------5p3p0----------------------|
G-------0------3p0---5-----------5------------------|
D—3s5------------------------------------------------| Left Hand fingerings
A-------------------------------------------------------|
E-------------------------------------------------------|

Try and figure this one out for yourself:

E-------------------------------------------------------------|
B-------------------------------------------------------------|
G--------3p0--------0----------0---------------------------|
D--------------0h3------3h5-------3h5-------0-----------|
A-------------------------------------------5-------1h3-----|
E—3---------------------------------------------------------|

P M I M P M P I M P M I
E-----------------------------------------------------------------|
B--------------3------------------------3--------------------3--|
G---------0-------0---------0h2-----------0----------0--------|
D--4h5----------------5-----------5-----------4h5------------|
A-----------------------------------------------------------------|

Start slowly and do it properly, no distortion, no reverb and no silly hand positions. Remember to keep your fingers folded under your palm and try and imagine your fingers "dancing" on the strings that aren't being struck. This will take determination and practice, just like anything!

There will be more examples of how you can use this wonderful technique to jump strings more effectively, and thus creating more interesting sounds for your playing. The next article will be based on a lesson I learned from John 5(ex Marilyn Manson guitarist) and something I picked up through my own accord from Brent Hinds from Mastodon who uses this technique to create huge epic sounds capes! Forgive the poor layout of the tabs, its very hard to structure them in this format so that they are easily disclosed to someone who has no idea what Hybrid Picking is, or how to do it. Let me know if you can't understand any of it, I don't mind people commenting and saying whats acceptable and whats not.

Enjoy, and remember, theres a lot more to come!

Digitally Clean, like a Goldfish
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Mar 28, 2008,
This is hasn't came out in the way that I wanted? What do I do? The Markings to explain which fingers you use in the passages are in a different position than when I first wrote them out?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
This is hasn't came out in the way that I wanted? What do I do? The Markings to explain which fingers you use in the passages are in a different position than when I first wrote them out?

I don't know what he is saying but I think this lesson is pretty cool.

I wanted to learn "hybrid picking" but What I found was just useless

so It's good
Recommend me any good post-hardcore band
Thanks mate, glad someone liked it. It turned out totally different from when I tabbed it all out. Its daft this site sometimes. Or maybe I wrote it out in the wrong format.
yeah, and I hope you make more examples so we can practice them.. 'cause y'know it's hard to find using "hybrid picking" songs so hard to practice them.
anyway way to go dude keep cool
Recommend me any good post-hardcore band
This is in Drop B Tuning. It adds some metal heaviness to the mix. Because of how the tab turns out after posting, I cannot add the description of how you are supposed, or how I would reckomend placing your fingers and which fingers on your picking hand should be utilized. So try and work it out yourself. It makes sense that the higher notes will be picked by the middle finger or the ring finger, depending on which is more comfortable for yourselves. Experiment, and practise with both.

E---------------------------------------------------------------------|
B--------------------------------------------------------------3-----|
G---------------------7-------------------------0--------------------|
D-------------------------------9--s--------0------------0----------|
A-------------------------0-----------0h2---------3----------------|
B---0---0---0-------------------------------------------------------|

E-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G----------------3-----------------------------------2----------0-------------|
D----------------------------------5-----------------------3h4----------------|
A--------------------------------------------------------------------1p0--2---|
B---0--1--1----------0--1--1----------0--1--1--------------------------0--|

E--------------------------------|
B--------------------------------|
G--------------------------------|
D--------------------------------|
A------------2p0---2p0----1--|
B---0----0-------0-------0-----|

I will have a few more riffs that I can tab out that I can post soon enough, when I have the time. Remember all the techniques and tips I have posted in the first article, precceding this one.

Enjoy

Digitally Clean