Alright, I hat my first post to be a nagging question one (I'll post about rel stuff soon enough ). Anyways, I recently purchased an AXL Mayhem guitar: Fireax edition. Needless to say it is awesome. There is a problem with keeping my strings in tune with the Floyd Rose tremolo system. I set up the floyd rose fine and dandy-It's perfectly parallel with the board and the tension springs are all even. I tuned my guitar with the knobs on top of the headstock, locked the "nuts" at the top shown here (not my guitar, but you get the idea):

I then fine tuned all the strings to be exact pitch. Every time I leave the guitar, even for a moment, not even touching it, the strings revert back to out-of-tune mode . Why would this be? I followed the instructions to a "t". I've only had the guitar since Wednesday night, however; would the strings simply be getting settled? Any help would be great!
Looks like the "nuts" on the headstock are on sideways. Flip the three locks in the red circle so that the crease runs parallel to the strings.
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC1000 (w/ EMG 81 and 60)
ESP/LTD H500 (w/SD Custom 5 and 59)
Fender MIM Strat (basically my first. Never play it.)
Traynor YCV80 4x10
Peavey 6505 2x12 combo

Half Stacks are OVER-Rated
From what i see the locking parts are put on wrongly. Turn them 90°. The slope has to be parallel with the strings. Now they are perpendicular.
Quote by Monte720
Looks like the "nuts" on the headstock are on sideways. Flip the three locks in the red circle so that the crease runs parallel to the strings.

Like I said-not my guitar in that picture . I didn't notice that, though (looks like that guy is worse with guitar tech than me). I have the crease parallel with the strings. The strings wont stay in tune though. I followed all the instructions. What should I do?
Are you guys blind? It's NOT HIS GUITAR.

TS, check the saddles, locking nut, everything. Take it to a tech would be my advice. Also, have you stretched the strings?
Quote by webbtje
Are you guys blind? It's NOT HIS GUITAR.

TS, check the saddles, locking nut, everything. Take it to a tech would be my advice. Also, have you stretched the strings?

Stretched the strings? That ocurred to me, but is it really necessary? I'm pretty broke after getting my baby (guitar), so I can't really get a tool (unless there is a DIY method). It was worth it though, just look at her:

(Invalid img)
Stretching new strings is absolutely necessary on any guitar, Floyd or fixed bridge, if you want it to stay in tune.

And you already have a string-stretching tool...it's called a "hand"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Beebaboo
Stretched the strings? That ocurred to me, but is it really necessary? I'm pretty broke after getting my baby (guitar), so I can't really get a tool (unless there is a DIY method). It was worth it though, just look at her:

(Invalid img)

To stretch the strings just grab each of them (separately) at the 12th fret and pull them up about 5 centimeters (don't pull too hard tho ). Do it a few times. It has the same effect as if you're doing extreme bends
Quote by Ventor
To stretch the strings just grab each of them (separately) at the 12th fret and pull them up about 5 centimeters (don't pull too hard tho ). Do it a few times. It has the same effect as if you're doing extreme bends

Okay, where would I pull them to, and how would it help (sorry, I just don't wanna do anything wrong with my new guitar, I don't wanna use my sister's crappy Strat ripoff again ).
Please read the enormous and informative stickied thread I posted up there
Last edited by webbtje at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by Beebaboo
Okay, where would I pull them to, and how would it help (sorry, I just don't wanna do anything wrong with my new guitar, I don't wanna use my sister's crappy Strat ripoff again ).

Just pull them away from the fretboard, to the sky if your guitar is playing on a table.
Alright, I'm gonna pull the strings. I tightened the screw in the Trem cavity, so there isn't much left to do. Should I loosen the locking nuts before I do this?
Yup. When they stay in tune when you bend them, lock the nut down and fine tune it.
Quote by webbtje
Yup. When they stay in tune when you bend them, lock the nut down and fine tune it.

I did exactly that, and they have stayed in tune for longer than any other time! I hope this was the trick. How often should be the proper time to retune (I wanna know If it is coming out of tune too soon).
Like... a week if it's a half decent FR. I have a sneaking suspicion that yours probably isn't one...
Yep stretching the strings solves it (sometimes), when i changed the strings of my guitar (wich has FR ) i´ve had the same problem... after i stretched them i was alright... and it keeped its tune for 3 months now... (i check it every time i play with a BOSS TU-80
Yeah just grab the strings and pull up and run your hand towards the machine heads. Just do it a couple times and you will see how much the strings stretch. Mine stretched so much that I had it in tune before, then I stretched them and it was hanging down on the opposite side of the neck =O. Anyway, that should solve it and if it doesn't take it to a guitar shop.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion