I wrote this chord progression, and I'm having a hell of a time coming up with a suitable bass line for it.

I know I could just play D repeatedly, but that would be incredibly dry and boring.

Any ideas?
Whats the progression?
This might not make sense bt you could play the root of the chord repeatedly and before you change to the next chord play a fil kinda like the 5th ,4th ,3rd/2nd and then to the root of the next chord.
This might not make sense to you coz I dont have the best musical mind but hope it helps
Dont kill me if it doesnt make sense
i'd tap that .........speaking to a bass, its a music joke!

Harley Benton-hbb200bk
Epiphone Thunderbird
Electro Harmonix Double muff
Harley Benton 80-b amp
Ernie Ball Strings are my preferance!
I find the best way to do, is choose an appropriate scale for the style of music (For Rock, the Pentatonic etc.), use the Root note of the Chord for that root note, then just play some notes from the scale which you think sound good.

Or you could just take the chord that he is playing and do an arpeggio, there are in fact lots of things you can do, just make sure the root note of what ever pattern you are doing is the same as that of the chord being played.

(I'm sure you don't have to, but it's what I, as a beginner do)
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
The chord progression is D, Dsus2, Dmaj9, D, Dsus4.

So, basically I want to know if there's anything I can do besides just play the root note over and over.
Two things, you could try and follow the chord extensions (the 9th, the sus2, etc.) or you could cut off the lowest D of the guitar chord which would allow you to do something other than just playing the D.
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by loose bowels
Two things, you could try and follow the chord extensions (the 9th, the sus2, etc.)

Explain what you mean by "following" the chord extensions.
This may sound like a cop-out, but what about using a pedal tone? If you want to make the song sound heavy, drop D, and go dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum with even eights, like I Can See For Miles (that one's in E).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Why not have the bass playing a tune or something?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
If you add some small things, it can make the bassline more enjoyable.
When you listen to the verses of kiss me (by sixpence none the ritcher) for example, that's a progression with just D chords. (although it's fills are maybe a bit basic).

But whatever you do, don't overdo it. You don't need a busy, complicated funk bassline, if that means the feeling of your song wil get lost.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by As a Holy Gift

What I meant was highlight the chord extensions by using them in the bass line. For instance with the Dmaj9 you could use the E (the 9th) as the base note instead of D. Or you could just write a simple melody but incorporate the chord extensions into it. Hope that's a bit clearer.
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by As a Holy Gift

By following the chord extensions I meant you could substitute the D for the an E in the Dmaj9 chord (as the 9th in the chord is an E). Or you could simply have a small melody which uses the chord extensions rather than just an arrpegio of the D chord.
OUT OF ORDER
What I'd do for that is hit the root in sync with your strumming, then hit a fill right before you change chords and pedal on the note that identifies the chord. For example: Pedal on D, fill, pedal on E, fill, pedal on the E an octave up, fill, pedal on d, pedal on g, fill...
Quote by loose bowels
By following the chord extensions I meant you could substitute the D for the an E in the Dmaj9 chord (as the 9th in the chord is an E). Or you could simply have a small melody which uses the chord extensions rather than just an arrpegio of the D chord.
This man knows what he's talking 'bout.

I would write out a sample or something for ideas, but I'm too lazy and it's late at night.

Sorry man.

-AboveTheBridge (ATB)
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

take some lsd, thats how the best bass lines were thought of, longview and money
Gallops make basslines technically simple, but still good sounding. Try them.
Quote by Copius
What I'd do for that is hit the root in sync with your strumming, then hit a fill right before you change chords and pedal on the note that identifies the chord. For example: Pedal on D, fill, pedal on E, fill, pedal on the E an octave up, fill, pedal on d, pedal on g, fill...

Thanks, that was actually very helpful advice.