Hey Everyone,

I was wondering what my band might use to record our Jam sessions. We don't have a lot of money because we aren't playing gigs yet, but we need something to record our improv jam sessions to help us write songs. We play awesome when we are just jamming but have trouble writing songs and believe this will help us. We want something cheap with decent quality that can catch all the instruments! I am not talking CD quality but something like people use to record shows that are posted on archive.org (Cool site if you haven't checked it out yet). It can be digital or record to a tape... we don't really care as long as its not too expensive or difficult to control.
Ibanez SZ520QM - Transparent Red
-Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge/Coil-Tapped Pearly Gates in the neck
Synsonics Strat Copy with Hotrails Pickup in the bridge
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
You can do ****ty jam recordings on just about anything. mp3 player mics, laptop mics, small digital recorders, camera mics.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
You can do ****ty jam recordings on just about anything. mp3 player mics, laptop mics, small digital recorders, camera mics.

Will they capture the instruments enough to pick out what is being played?
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Quote by white99z
Will they capture the instruments enough to pick out what is being played?

i tried that with my band and it kinda worked, was the ****test quality ever tho

i didnt pic up the bass guitar at all tho
In my experience, it's fine to do if you're just going to try and analyze it as a band. DON'T try to do a demo or anything that way!
I saw a press release for a new recorder from Olympus that's designed with two built in condensers specifically for recording practices/jams. I think goes on sale next month and will retail for about $400.

Quote by white99z
We don't have a lot of money because we aren't playing gigs yet

When you start, you still won't have a lot of money.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall

When you start, you still won't have a lot of money.

Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by angeldef

I'm definately aware of that, however right now our personal money is going towards our personal gear! We won't be spending gig money for anything... just saving it (what little bit we do get)!
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Well, before we got all our fancy mixers and programs and microphones and whatnot, we took my drummers uber-****ty, really old, crappy sounding computer microphone and placed it in the room next to the one we were playing in. If you play in a garage, or cant place it in another room, just place it near; guess and test.

We have to turn up cause our drummer is loud as ****.

Just take a microphone and place it in the vicinity, not in front of anyone's rig. Any mic will do. Go to best buy or something and get a $10 computer mic and plug it into the "microphone" spot on a computer or laptop that has a "mic-in" line.

As for programs, Audacity is free and not too bad. That is what we did and our demo was decent enough for a couple singers in the area to become interested.

So....get a crap mic and put it nearby. Get Audactiy, or some equivalent, and use the mic to record into that. I find that using a laptop is nice, cause you can place it anywhere in the room, rather than having a huge tower in the way.

Hope it goes well!