So I was thinking about buying this Black Ice thing that turns your tone pot into an overdrive control by replacing the capacitor on your tone pot (this thing: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Black_Ice_overdrive.html)

BUT

I heard you could do pretty much them same thing by just using 2 low voltage diodes.
So i tried this and it did nothing. Maybe I am wiring it wrong or using the wrong diodes?

Diodes Tried:
Rectifier Diodes - tried 400 and 600

Wiring
I basically wired the diodes together and replaced the capacitor which one end went to the middle prong on the pot and the other end went to ground.

Any help would me much appreciated.
Also I never use the tone control on my guitar so I would like to avoid wiring in any additional bypass switches and such.
The polarities for the two diodes need to be opposite and i believe you need to use schtocky diodes.
Any of them should work but i would aim for a lower forward voltage, so something around 350 or lower. Really from what i understand about the black ice any of them should work.
Recto diodes won't work (tmk), and I heard somewhere on this forum that using just schottkies won't work, as the forward voltage is still too high for a guitar. I could be wrong, though.
Quote by Invader Jim
Recto diodes won't work (tmk), and I heard somewhere on this forum that using just schottkies won't work, as the forward voltage is still too high for a guitar. I could be wrong, though.

If i remember correctly you have it backwards because schottkys have a very low forward voltage compared to other diodes. I believe that guitar pickups can put out anywhere from 100mvs to well over 1v so a schottky should work fine.
Last edited by XgamerGt04 at Mar 28, 2008,