As the title implies, I'd like to know what the tonal characteristics of a JCM800 are. Are there any EQ spikes or drops? How is it voiced? What are some examples of bands that use them?

The reason I ask is because I'm wanting to get a Traynor YCV50 Blue, and I've heard and read many places that it sounds very similar to a JCM800.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
A JCM800 is pretty trebley and has a lot of mid range, the bass response is ok. A lot of metal bands used them back in the 80s. Kerry King used one, and so did James Hetfield back in the day.
Quote by thebrewfan
A JCM800 is pretty trebley and has a lot of mid range, the bass response is ok. A lot of metal bands used them back in the 80s. Kerry King used one, and so did James Hetfield back in the day.

I would say the bass response (especially on the 100w) is very good, and not trebley at all.
Quote by Gutch220
I would say the bass response (especially on the 100w) is very good, and not trebley at all.

yes, i thought it was odd as it was mentioned trebly - its thick and heavy (early ones) with a nice mid range honk which gives it that spiky crunch
i have like.
6 clips? of my ycv 50. It sounds descently close to what it sounds like in person with a pretty nuetral EQ. Treble is basically at midnight, bass slightly up, and mids boosted a lil.
sounds great for marshall stuff, but definitely doesnt get as much gain as a JCM 800 does (i THINK). But it does sound great when you get power tube distortion.
It's fairly dark until you can turn the master up more. Once your master gets past half it sings
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Listen to some 80's metal and you've pretty much got it. Most hair metal bands and a rather large amount of thrash bands used them.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Thanks for the help, guys. Any more input?
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
personally, IMO I think listening to hair metal bands from the 80's is a horrible representation of the JCM800. I don't know why people always say that. Maybe because there's a "8" and a "0" in JCM800 and 80's. With 2-channel JCM800's think Appetite for Destruction (I realize some people consider GnR a hair metal band, but I don't. There style was very different). And with single channel JCM800's just think of any older Marshall-using classic rock tones from the late 60's to 70's.
Jcm800's are nice amps, but really really low on the gain. So if your looking for a metal amp be prepared to buy alot or products to boost the hell out of it. Or Best advice get the Kerry King beast. Best of both worlds. I dont like marshall's but loved that amp...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Jcm800's are nice amps, but really really low on the gain.

I wouldn't say that. That's misleading people. I would say a Fender Twin Reverb is really really low gain, not a JCM800.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Or Best advice get the Kerry King beast. Best of both worlds. I dont like marshall's but loved that amp...

YES

yes

YES

The second i have the cash im gonna run to the GC and buy it.
Quote by Gutch220
I wouldn't say that. That's misleading people. I would say a Fender Twin Reverb is really really low gain, not a JCM800.

Ok it can do classic rock i give it that... Classic rock if your using EMG's that is lol

I kid I kid...

It can do classic rock but thats about it..
Not too great for bedroom wanking. Super ****IN loud.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Ok it can do classic rock i give it that... Classic rock if your using EMG's that is lol

I kid I kid...

It can do classic rock but thats about it..

Have you ever played one? They can do more than CR
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by joining_heads
Have you ever played one? They can do more than CR

Yes i played the kerry king beast in both modes running emg's... So i got to hear the difference in a boosted to hell 800 and a normal one. Big big difference in overall gain.

Gain dimed... AC/DC normal mode vs Slayer Kerry king mode

Read some reviews, everyone also says there good for classic rock and like guns and roses type stuff. Its not metal capable by far unless its boosted... Anyone that used them for metal boosted the hell out of them, modified them and so on...

James Hetfield- started out using a Jose Arrendondo Modified 100 watt Marshall SLP boosted with a Rat distortion. Then Used Modified Marshalls boosted by a tube screamer. For puppets he was using Jcm 800's mixed with Mesa's running them together at the same time....Also always with EMG's..

Kerry King- JCM 800 running high gain tubes, also his amp was a freak and had a bit more gain then your average JCM 800 amp. He always boosted the amp with a mid boosted eq as well. Same thing Dime was doing... Also always with EMG's

So yes i have played the amp and know the amp well. I have nothing against it but it is not a metal amp unless you boost it. And the most you can get out of boosted to hell and gone 800 is slayer so its still not in the insane gain category even boosted.

Now if your playing something like guns and roses and classic rock the thing is spot on...
From what I've heard, the YCV50 Blue can get quite a bit of gain. Thanks for the help.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...