Page 1 of 3
Hey everyone, well I was just on Youtube watching some concerts and stuff and I was wondering.. How come some people say stuff like "Radiohead are so awesome." It's a true face indeed ;D but to me this always sounded incorrect. I understand there are 5 members of Radiohead making it plural so you would say "are" but I always say stuff like, "Radiohead is awesome." Now if it was a band that ends in "s" I would say "are."
Like "Smashing Pumpkins are awesome." This is a pointless thread but just wonderin' what's correct and how do you say it?
is
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Are.
Member of Cryptozoology Group!

Quote by Ichimaru
It's simple to sound like them, tune your guitars down a couple of steps but don't worry if it's actually IN tune or not, then just plug in and throw your guitar out the window.
a band is a solitary unit. therefore you use the word is.

if you were talking about many people you would say are. such as they are awesome.
I did a thread on this a while ago (COUGH searchbar) and most people went with plural, although there was a rather large debate on the matter
Quote by mustaineNslash
i know this sounds stupid but...
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

Quote by Scumbag1792
"Radiohead are so awesome."
"Radiohead is awesome."

That one word makes alot of difference.

"Radiohead is so awesome" doesn't work, but "Radiohead are so awesome" does.
I say are, but gramatically the band is one band singular, so, Muse is.

But Smashing Pumpkins is also "is" because it's one band, and the band is singular
Is. When most people refer to a band, they refer to the band as a whole, an entity. Not a collective. Unless said band's name ends in an s. Then it is Are.

Fuck it. Are.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Are, or in my accent, "ir"

EDIT i dont say "ir", its a letter thats a cross between an I and A, which im putting as Ir because i dont know what the hell it is
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
It depends

Metallica is awesome

The Beatles are awesome

No pun intended..

A band, regardless if its name is singular or plural, is a single object. When you refer to the band, you refer to the collective group, which is still one object. Therefore, you address any group/band with "is". "Are" is wrong, plain and simple.

So examples:
The Beatles is an iconic rock band.
Opeth is a metal band.

If you were to refer to the specific musicians within a group, you'd say "the members of ___ are ____."

Ex:
The members of Blink182 are faceticious.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
"Is" would be correct, because you are talking about the band as a whole, it being "the band" and not "the bands". But I say "are" anyway because "is" just sounds plain weird to me.

But all in all, nobody cares anyway, so say what you want.

EDIT: Beaten by Xiaoxi.
There's the self-proclaimed "English Majors" that think they're smart by saying it's one way or another, when really, there isn't a single correct way. The English language is twisted so much with slang, and other variations of words in other languages.

Anyway, back on point.. for me, it's based on the context or plurality of the band's name, but in most cases, I use "is";

Behemoth IS awesome.
Green Day IS a joke.
(Haha, probably gonna get some slack for that one..)
Anyway, even for like plural bands, like Red Hot Chili Peppers, I would say "Red Hot Chili Peppers is awesome."

Bands choose band names to label their group as an individual; a whole, if you will.

Without the mass effort from many people, choosing to be a whole, it would be something stupid like,

"Have you ever heard of Eric, John, Mike, Joseph and Phoebe?"
"Oh yeah, dude.. they ARE total crap.."

Anyway.. that's just my two cents..
I think its a matter of what the subject in question is.

For example, if your talking about a band (any band in general) it would be viewed as a thing so the word in question would be "is."

--> "The guitar IS awesome." would sound better opposed to "The guitar ARE awesome."

ARE would be used when your being specific. Example: (Insert names of band members here) are awesome!"

--> "Hetfield and Hammett together are awesome!" sounds better in opposition to "Hetfield and Hammett together is awesome!"
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by TwistedVince
There's the self-proclaimed "English Majors" that think they're smart by saying it's one way or another, when really, there isn't a single correct way. The English language is twisted so much with slang, and other variations of words in other languages.

No, there is a single correct way, which is formal English. English used in common and everyday context are filled with informal idioms, which is fine. But, assuming that this thread is asking for the formal grammatical rule of how to address bands, "is" is the only answer.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
No, there is a single correct way, which is formal English. English used in common and everyday context are filled with informal idioms, which is fine. But, assuming that this thread is asking for the formal grammatical rule of how to address bands, "is" is the only answer.

Nah, man, I know there's TECHNICALLY a correct way, in formal English, but I was commenting on the fact that there's tons of people who claim it's one way (most of them saying it's "are") and claim it is so; even with a lack of actual knowledge of which usage is correct.

Seems like a lot of people are convinced that it's "are", however..
Whenever I'm saying a band name I say "are". Surely that makes perfect sense since you are referring to the collective of all the band members together. If you weren't saying the band name, you'd say "They are awesome", so you also need to pluralise the verb when you use the band name, otherwise you'd say "He is awesome", and that is just wrong.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
''Are''.

''Is'' just sounds wierd.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Radiohead refers to a group, which makes the word "radiohead" plural. Therefore, you would use are.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Technically you're correct, but I prefer "are"...
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by mike.h
Radiohead refers to a group, which makes the word "radiohead" plural. Therefore, you would use are.

But the group is one unit. More than one unit would be 'are'
Radiohead, The Beatles, and Unicorn Killer are awesome.
Unicorn Killer is an awesome band. ONE band.
Band is a singular, although it contains members.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
But the group is one unit. More than one unit would be 'are'
Radiohead, The Beatles, and Unicorn Killer are awesome.
Unicorn Killer is an awesome band. ONE band.
Band is a singular, although it contains members.

Oh dang you're right. Group is also a singular word. Hot damn. Go easy on me, im 15
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
searchb-ARE

o, did u c wut i did thur?
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
What do you do with plural bands though
I prefer are

The Beatles is awesome sounds silly.
although if I specify that it is a band..

The Beatles is an awesome band.
Now say his name.....
lol at all the pseudo intellect in this thread

I wrote my university coursework on this, and other things.

IS is the American English way. Group count nouns are reduced to one.
ARE is the British English way. So now you know.

People say is because they are american, or because they watch too much TV and talk like an American. These people are also likely to say 'gotten', another American word.
Quote by mike.h

You sure?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by J.MitMetallica
Whenever I'm saying a band name I say "are". Surely that makes perfect sense since you are referring to the collective of all the band members together. If you weren't saying the band name, you'd say "They are awesome", so you also need to pluralise the verb when you use the band name, otherwise you'd say "He is awesome", and that is just wrong.

The "they" you are referring to in context consist of the musicians themselves, as opposed to the unit as a band.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I would say it should be IS.... however it could be an abbreviation of "the members of Radiohead are so awesome", rather than "the band, Radiohead, is so awesome
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
lol at all the pseudo intellect in this thread

I wrote my university coursework on this, and other things.

IS is the American English way. Group count nouns are reduced to one.
ARE is the British English way. So now you know.

People say is because they are american, or because they watch too much TV and talk like an American. These people are also likely to say 'gotten', another American word.

Beautiful and intelligent..
Now say his name.....
Page 1 of 3