Hello UGers... this is my first post on these forums.

I wanted some opinions regarding the BEST electric under $300.
I like to play mostly metal but dont mind blues either-- main purpose is metal but versatility is appreciated although i doubt i could tell much difference now but i want this guitar to last me atleast 2 years.

In my country i dont have alot of choice in guitars.

I currently can find the following "good" guitars till the $300 price range:

-Ibanez GSA60
-Ibanez GRG170DX
-Ibanez GRG270DX
-Fender Mexican Strat
-Godin Freeway Classic (the shopkeep just has one so it might be sold soon) - if not sold i am planning for this godin.
-B.C Rich Mockingbird (low end version i think thats why under 300)

Sadly the schecter omen6 is not available neither are the js30 jacksons otherwise i wouldve gone for them. Ltds arent available cheaply either.

Other brands such as aria, washburn and squier are available but i dont think they are as good as the above mentioned guitars.

Tell me whats the best among the above mentioned guitars and tell me any other $300 guitars and i will try to check my local market to see if they are available.

I am from pakistan.

Thanks
Last edited by sK_yoda at Mar 28, 2008,
What country do you live in?

All of the Godins that I've played have been spectacular, so if you are liking that one I'd definitely pick it up (and it's definitely the best guitar out of those you've listed).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
ibanez the last a long my friend has had his for almost 4 years now and it has just a scrath in the finish
epiphone g-400
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I would not advise to buy an Ibanez Gio series guitar with a tremolo - basically, you touch it and it goes out of tune.
The Gio guitars with a fixed bridge are okay though, I started out on one of those myself.

Try the GAX30 for example. It has a comfortable, fast neck and decent electronics considering the price. The pickups have a relatively high output, you get a well defined, agressive sound from them when playing with distortion, hust right for metal:
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_pakistan.html

The mexican strat is a great instrument, but totally wrong for metal - the pickups just won't deliver the sound you are looking for.
I personally don't like cheaper bc rich guitars, electronics and overall craftsmanship are below what you can get in that price range.
The Godin: I have no idea.

EDIT: Do you have the possibility to buy a lower end agile in pakistan? They have great value for the money. The sound is a little softer than what an Ibanez will give you, but metal sounds still good through them and they are darn versatile.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman
I would not advise to buy an Ibanez Gio series guitar with a tremolo - basically, you touch it and it goes out of tune.
The Gio guitars with a fixed bridge are okay though, I started out on one of those myself.

Try the GAX30 for example. It has a comfortable, fast neck and decent electronics considering the price. The pickups have a relatively high output, you get a well defined, agressive sound from them when playing with distortion, hust right for metal:
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_pakistan.html

What if i remove the whammy bar/stick? Will a little push to the bridge still send it out of tune?
I will try to see if GAX is available here but i doubt it as mostly only Gio and RG series are available. The GAX30 isnt a beauty tho

Fifer : the G400 is really overpriced here.. the $350 price at guitar center is here around $400

Quailman: No agiles are available as far as i know.. i tried finding them to no avail. Only poor SX models are available.
Last edited by sK_yoda at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by sK_yoda
What if i remove the whammy bar/stick? Will a little push to the bridge still send it out of tune?
I will try to see if GAX is available here but i doubt it as mostly only Gio and RG series are available. The GAX30 isnt a beauty tho

Fifer : the G400 is really overpriced here.. the $350 price at guitar center is here around $400

It looks prettier in real life, trust me - I still own mine.
And any Ibanez guitar with a "G" as the first letter of the name is a Gio series Instrument, that being the GRG, GSA, GAX and GSZ, though the last one is not available in pakistan, it seems. "Gio" simply stands for "beginner's guitar".
I got the link to the GAX30 from the Ibanez site made for pakistan, so I guess it should be easily available. I strongly recommend checking it out. It's craftsmanship surpasses the one of my (way more expensive) epiphone any day, it's a real workhorse.
Quote by TheQuailman
It looks prettier in real life, trust me - I still own mine.
And any Ibanez guitar with a "G" as the first letter of the name is a Gio series Instrument, that being the GRG, GSA, GAX and GSZ, though the last one is not available in pakistan, it seems. "Gio" simply stands for "beginner's guitar".
I got the link to the GAX30 from the Ibanez site made for pakistan, so I guess it should be easily available. I strongly recommend checking it out. It's craftsmanship surpasses the one of my (way more expensive) epiphone any day, it's a real workhorse.

I would definitely search for the GAX.. although the site you linked me to is for all the countries except the US. It just lists the dealers page differently for each country chosen only. What about the GRGs.. do they go out of tune if the whammy bar is removed OR if i cant find the GAX can i make the tremolo bridge fixed via putting a small wood piece behind it?
I just found out about the Ibanez ART120. I remember it being around 300EU when I saw it two years back in a local shop. I played it and the feel and quality were good, but I did not have it plugged into an amp, so don't ask me about the pickups. See if you can spot it somewhere.

I just checked on thomann.de and it's 320EU. A little more than what you asked for, but c'mo man - 20 bucks!

Another one, the RG321, costs 320EU as well. I played it and I can guarantee satisfaction with this, it's an awesome metal guitar for the price.
Quote by sK_yoda
I would definitely search for the GAX.. although the site you linked me to is for all the countries except the US. It just lists the dealers page differently for each country chosen only. What about the GRGs.. do they go out of tune if the whammy bar is removed OR if i cant find the GAX can i make the tremolo bridge fixed via putting a small wood piece behind it?

Sorry for the link, I just noticed it myself.
I exaggerated a little when talking about the tremolos, they will keep tune if you don't use them, and anything more than a subtle vibrato will just let them go out of tune. But anything else about these guitars is fine.

About the wood - I have no idea, but there are things called the "tremolo no" for double locking trems, which basically render a tremolo useless. See if you can find models for regular trems as well.
Quote by TheQuailman
I just found out about the Ibanez ART120. I remember it being around 300EU when I saw it two years back in a local shop. I played it and the feel and quality were good, but I did not have it plugged into an amp, so don't ask me about the pickups. See if you can spot it somewhere.

I just checked on thomann.de and it's 320EU. A little more than what you asked for, but c'mo man - 20 bucks!

Another one, the RG321, costs 320EU as well. I played it and I can guarantee satisfaction with this, it's an awesome metal guitar for the price.

RGs are available-- i checked a shop and he has an old Light Blue RG with fixed bridge (it has jackson like arc inlays)... btw EU is 1.4x of the $ currently if i am not mistaken.
ART120 wouldnt be available.

Thanks for all the replies man.
Quote by sK_yoda
RGs are available-- i checked a shop and he has an old Light Blue RG with fixed bridge (it has jackson like arc inlays)... btw EU is 1.4x of the $ currently if i am not mistaken.
ART120 wouldnt be available.

Thanks for all the replies man.

Sorry, I did not know about the money.
Post again after you go your guitar, okay?

EDIT: The RG's fixed bridges are a bomb, I'd say it's the best you can get for your money, go for it if you can get the old one for cheap
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 28, 2008,
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but the options have now changed and i did not want to make a new thread. Now after examining a few of the guitars i have found:

The Godin was a tad bit old and the frets were bad.. humbucker had a dull tone problem.

The MIM strat was act a fake MIM with serial no. TZxxxxxx
The BC Rich was Bronze Series.
Washburn was fake.

Now although i have few new options:

Ibanez RG321MH
Ibanez SA120
Ibanez GSA60 jumpstart package

Keeping in mind i am a beginner.. which is the best pkg among the above in $300 price range
Now the RG321 is a great beginners axe for metal and rock, though it can handle most other styles as well. It is not the greatest axe for blues, funk or jazz, but still decent.

Personally I have not played the SA120 yet, but other guitars of the SA series, so I can at least say that the tremolo is reliable. It has other pickups than the RG, but they cover the same styles equally well.

Both guitars have good tonewood, so you can just swap the pickups if you want to further improve your sound in a couple of years, instead of buying a new guitar.

It's hard to say which is better, because both seem equally good for the price.
You just have to see if you want a tremolo or not, it's the only relevant difference here.

I would not advise getting a jumpstart pack, the GSA60 has a bad tremolo, the amp you get is simply to small to deliver a good sound. It has only a six inch speaker, which is simply not enough. You're better off saving up and getting at least a 15watts amp with an eight inch speaker, or you'll just regret wasting money on a cheap amp later.