If I were to buy one and then put a real P-90 in it...would it fit?...or is the humbucker routing too big?

If I needed to fill it in a bit, what would I use to do that?...like... some kinda puddy or something?

And what kinda wood are they really made of...it says mohogany/alder on MSF...not sure what exactly that means though...>_>...cus I don't know if they are even all that worth modding.
you could just get a p90 in a humbucker format

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Whaddya mean? Are you talking about the P-94 thing?...I'm also considering that.

One of the reasons I want a P-90 is cus of the looks...it's way more classy than a plain ol' black humbucker.=P
And what about the wood?...anyone know anything about that?

I don't really have the tools...or the knowledge and expertise, for that matter, to build one from scratch...so getting an Epi is like my only way of satisfying my LP Jr. craving.=P...painting and replacing hardware, I think I can handle though.
well, the p-90 would actually require some routing (its wider than a humbucker) and in terms of wood, the epi is unfortunatly plywood.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
hmm...alright...I was afraid of that. Probably not the best idea then...too bad they don't still sell the '57 Jr...

Any reccomendations?
Ok, I've been considering my options and the best one that I've thought of is this: What if I were to go ahead and buy the epi anyway...but then use the the stock body only as a template...that way I could make a new body out of better wood...and then make the pickup cavity fit a p-90...?

The only thing is...I might have to get more than a new pickup...the stock hardware on the Epi could be crap...then I'm basically replacing everything but the neck...and that seems wasteful...

...Does someone have a better idea?
Quote by Weavel33
hmm...alright...I was afraid of that. Probably not the best idea then...too bad they don't still sell the '57 Jr...

Any reccomendations?

You can still find them around though.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
If you were to make a body you wouldnt want to use the stock epi hardware as it is metric and very few parts fit em. So yea would be a bit wasteful as the only thing you would be keeping is the neck and they arent to good on the really cheap epis either. Look at warmoth bit pricy but have the body and neck for a jr in what ever config you want. Then get hardware etc. But you might want to look at using a bridge other than the one the JR uses as they are not very adjustable. Go with the regular TOM with stop piece or another kind of wrap around.
I'm in the U.S.=/

and I don't think I'll be able to afford Warmoth...I'd like to actually "make" the guitar...part of it anyway...maybe not the neck...those sound a bit beyond my skill level...but I want to feel like I've accomplished something...not just buy a guitar and that's it...cause I've done that already.=P

So do you think I should buy a decent cheap neck, hardware, and electronics...and then make the body myself...that way I'm not wasting anything...

I really just don't wanna spend a lot of money...the Epi sounded like a decent alternative...to...anything else...guess not.
Alright, it's been a day, and I've got another question...Do les paul juniors have the same body shape as regular les pauls?...I mean like 2-dementionally...not like the carved-top thing.
yes (otherwise it really wouldn't be a les paul)- the major diff. between the JR. and standard is the carved top (or lack thereof)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Since P-90s are single coils, do I want 250k pots?...or stick w/ the 500ks?
Yeah, ok...I think it's clear that I shouldn't get the special jr...I think I'd really prefer building the majority of the guitar than buying it and just modding a bit...I'd get a little more experience that way...and it'd be more fun.

so where can I find some lp jr. templates that i can just print out? (p-90 cavity, control cavity, pickguard...etc)
any idea what SG juniors are made from?

mines a 97' model.
Quote by silentdob
*waits for the legion of Dimebag fans to beat me to death with bottles of Jack*
hmm...that's not exactly what I was looking for...it looks like I would have to buy that one anyway.=/
that only has the '59 Junior...which is a double cutaway.=/

I've tried googling...it didn't work.>_<
...sounds expensive...I don't need like the whole thing, neck and all...just the ones for body routing and stuff.
well, all I said was it "sounded" expensive...=/ Like not only would I have to buy the template, but he doesn't already have it on the list of ones you can buy meaning he would have to make it...not just ship it out...would he not charge me extra for all that?

I mean, if he's already charging 50-60 dollars for them up front...then well...I don't really even wanna spend that much...much less more.>_>

I just don't think it's really worth it if I'm only going to be making one guitar w/ them, quite frankly.
Look, I'm not trying to be rude, but I can't afford to shell out $50+ on templates alone.
Alright, it's been 4 days and no one has replied...so...sorry for double posting...

I have another question...Do LP Juniors have the same neck specs as regular LPs? We're talking Gibson.

and I still don't know how I'm a gonna solve the template issue.=/

EDIT: and for a first time builder, should I go bult-on or is a neck really not that hard to set?
Last edited by Weavel33 at Apr 18, 2008,
It's more of an issue of building the neck, IMO. Building a neck (shaping it, frets, etc...) is the most difficult part of building a guitar, in my mind.

Still think you should AT LEAST shoot the guy an email. You might not think 50-70 bucks is worth it for a template...But if you have no idea what the specs are...and you want to do it "right"....Sometimes you need to just man up, and fork out the cash.
I would be buying a neck...that has gibson specs...but do you think setting a neck is a bit above a novice like myself?

One other thing about the templates is if I'm going to be buying the neck anyway, then I wouldn't use the neck templates at all probably.=/ Do you think I could get 'em cheaper if I specifically asked for only the other ones and not the neck ones? I guess I should e-mail him...or do you know of any other place that sells body templates a little cheaper?=/
setting a neck is not that hard. titebond+clamps=set neck. its actually making the neck tenon and pocket fit right that's the hard part
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Alright, but you still have to fit it right with a bolt-on too...so they're both somewhat difficult?