I am starting to think my guitar is not for me. My main guitar is my Ibanez RG2550 Prestige. I bought it a month after I started playing, so I could not really tell if it felt good to me or not. I didn't know much about guitars or tone, and I just bought it because I knew it is nice and I wanted it.

After 6 months of playing I am starting to think I would be more suited for a LP of some kind. So I have narrowed it down to a Epi LP custom or Elitist. I know the Elitist is better, but a little out of my price range for now. Whatever LP I get I am going to put Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Pickups in it. I play a lot of G&R type music.

I have loved this Ibanez everyday I owned it, but I think it is because it was my first nice guitar. I put Dimarzio pickups in it, Paf Pro in the neck and Norton in the bridge. If I were to get rid of it and get a LP I don't think I would miss it.

Has anyone felt like this before? What do you guys think I should do? Do you guys think a Epi LP custom with those pickups will give me a good tone for G&R, better then MY RG?

Any advice or words of wisdom to share?
Thanks.
yes it will. take my advice, those pickups are pretty good. i've always thought that the ibanez guitars looked and sounded very generic. i have an LP standard, and it's pretty good with the pickups. i'm sure the custom would play much better.

so yeah, i recommend the LP.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
wow i thought esps were more expensive, the ones on the GC site are like 1000 bucks, tho they do come with actives, double lock tremolo, and that neck type where u glue the neck in like a neck thru but it looks like a bolt on
You have one nice guitar already! Your pups are good. If you want an LP style look at ESP lik someone else said. IMO they are much better feeling / playing at alot less cash than Gib.

I was looking into SG standards before I bought m LTD viper. The Gib was double the price but didn't play as well as my viper 500s.
Thanks for all the help guys.

I don't think I would buy a Gibson purely out of spite. There custom is the best LP in my opinion, but 3 or 4 G's is way to much. I would rather buy a Epi Elitist rather then a Gib Standard or Studio. At the moment, I will only have the money I get from selling my RG. So hopefully I can get $750-800 for it.

I know they are 2 different guitars but is a Epi LP custom a step down from my RG in any way? There is a $300 price difference. I'm not sure as far as quality goes if my RG is overpriced already.

I don't really like the look of the ESP. If I were to spend that much I would rather get this- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Elitist-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Electric-Guitar?sku=518401

Thanks again for the input, anyone else have anything to say about the Epi custom?
Last edited by ninja23 at Mar 29, 2008,