Howdy. I was thinking about getting 2 monster cables...one to go from my guitar into my effects chain and the other to go from the effects chain to the amp...but I seem to remember hearing that your sound is only as good as your weakest cable or something to that degree...so I was wondering, does this mean I need to get super high quality short cables going from pedal to pedal in order to not be putting the monsters to waste? Any input on this? Thanks.

PS: I'm somewhat new to electric guitar stuff as I've been doing acoustic things with a friend for a long time (just now got a drummer and bassist), so go easy on me if I'm saying something stupid and feel free to suggest anything.
Don't buy monster cables. They are a company run by a bunch of assholes.

To most people, as long as the cable isn't uber cheap, it'll do just fine.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
First off, don't buy too much into all the cable hype. There are cables that are distinctly better than some other ones, but most of the time they won't provide a noticeable difference over most good quality cables available. Also note that Monster's are generally maligned by a good portion of the guitar playing public as their plugs are slightly oversized, the cable itself is average at best, they're overpriced, and they have uncool business practices.

According to Lava Cable's "Cable Summit" article, Planet Waves cables outperformed the top-of-the-line Monster SP-1000.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
get zaolla cables, they are awesome!!!!!

in response to your question, good quality cable can drastically reduce unwanted noise, great for the studio. I've also noticed it clarifies your tone a bit more, compliments your strokes and gives it a nice effect.

It's probably not far from the truth about the sound being only as good as the weakest cable. If it's not of good quality your going to get some disturbance in your sound.
Well I mainly chose monster because of the warranty thing. I like the idea of buying 3 or 4 cables and never ever having to pay for another one again. I don't mind paying double for a cable that can get cut in half by plyers and be replaced, rather than replacing cables out of my pocket every once in awhile. Are there other brands that will replace your cables for free? And can anyone answer my question about pedal to pedal cables? I just need like a 4 inch cable or something and I'd be happy, I just don't want the sound to be degraded at all by getting a cheap little cable for it. I don't mind getting a midgrade one for something like that, I just want to know if the "your sound is only as good as your weakest cable" thing is true.
Thanks for the responses.
^I'm pretty sure any decent cable has a warranty.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
For the price of one short Monster patch cable, you could buy everything you'd need to make your own cables, then you could fix them yourself. It is also a lot cheaper, you can make them exactly as long as you need them, and end up with better cables than a lot of the overpriced ones.

Quote by WerdnaEgni
I just want to know if the "your sound is only as good as your weakest cable" thing is true.

No, as the quality of all cables are not of equal importance. The most important cable is the one which goes from the guitar into your first buffered pedal (or a TB pedal turned on, such as an EQ that you always have turned on), and even then, what might be a huge change of tone to one might be unnoticeable to another.
Last edited by whoismilan at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by WerdnaEgni
Well I mainly chose monster because of the warranty thing. I like the idea of buying 3 or 4 cables and never ever having to pay for another one again. I don't mind paying double for a cable that can get cut in half by plyers and be replaced, rather than replacing cables out of my pocket every once in awhile. Are there other brands that will replace your cables for free? And can anyone answer my question about pedal to pedal cables? I just need like a 4 inch cable or something and I'd be happy, I just don't want the sound to be degraded at all by getting a cheap little cable for it. I don't mind getting a midgrade one for something like that, I just want to know if the "your sound is only as good as your weakest cable" thing is true.
Thanks for the responses.

If you have a cheap cable that has breaks in the shielding or the conductor, then you'll start picking up noise and your cable chain will be following the "weakest link" thing. However if the cables are in good working order, it's a combination of the entire signal path. Things such as total resistance and total capacitance start to play more of a role than whether it's a braided copper core or a solid silver core. The presence (or lack thereof) of buffers and their placement in the signal chain will play even more of a role as they affect the signal impedance.

If all your pedals have buffers that don't get bypassed, you can run thin, cheap patch cables and be fine (as long as they're in good shape). The bigger issue will be with the longer cables as they'll have more capacitance and be more susceptible to damage.
Alright. I don't know anything about making my own cables though. Is it easy? (sorry for being kind of stupid about this stuff...like I said I'm pretty new to it)
Also, rather than make yet another thread, I'll ask this here. The only pedals I really use/will be using in the near future are Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer and EH Small Clone Chorus. Should I use the Effects Send or Effects Return for these? Or should I just go guitar > pedals > amp?
Thanks a lot for being helpful and responding so fast, and again I'm sorry for the noobasaur questions.
Edit: Also, any more suggestions or agreements on cable brands (preferrably with warranty) or on cable making kits or whatever? I'd like to be confident that most people agree on it before I spend the money.
Quote by WerdnaEgni
Alright. I don't know anything about making my own cables though. Is it easy? (sorry for being kind of stupid about this stuff...like I said I'm pretty new to it)

There's plenty of good information online about making cables. It's not hard. Just make sure you're soldering skills are up to par.

Quote by WerdnaEgni
Should I use the Effects Send or Effects Return for these?

It's called an effects LOOP. Think about it for a minute.
Quote by WerdnaEgni
Alright. I don't know anything about making my own cables though. Is it easy?

Yes. It's about the easiest DIY project you can do with a soldering iron. I believe anyone should be able to learn it.

If you don't want to learn soldering, you might want to look into some of the solderless cable kits. The George L's are quite popular, as are the Lava Cable and the Planet Waves kits. Personally I prefer normal cables that you solder, mainly as I trust these more.

Quote by WerdnaEgni
The only pedals I really use/will be using in the near future are Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer and EH Small Clone Chorus. Should I use the Effects Send or Effects Return for these? Or should I just go guitar > pedals > amp?

This is probably what most would do:
guitar -> TS -> amp input
fx send -> chorus -> amp return
...but you might also prefer the chorus between the TS and the amp, depending on what kind of effects loop your amp has, and what kind of sound you're after.
Yes. It's about the easiest DIY project you can do with a soldering iron. I believe anyone should be able to learn it.

If you don't want to learn soldering, you might want to look into some of the solderless cable kits. The George L's are quite popular, as are the Lava Cable and the Planet Waves kits. Personally I prefer normal cables that you solder, mainly as I trust these more.

QUOTE]

the planet wave solderless ones are pretty good, the plug has a metel pin inside it that pushes into the middle of the cable and then you have a srew that holds the cable into the plug.
the good thing about making you own is that you can have the cable to the exact length you need rather than have 6 inches of cable when you only need 2 or 3, but the bad side is if you cut it that short and move you pedals about you need to get more cable