Hey guys. Lately, I've gotten addicted to Jamiroquai, Tower of Power and old school funk. And I've been trying to improvise some funk lines, but I don't know which scales that go well with funk (I'm self thaught when it comes to theory, and I'm not really that good)

So, my question for you guys is: which scales do you feel are groovey and "funky"?

Cheers
If you throw a pudding towards a running elephant in a pine forest, will the cookie come and eat you? O.o

Quote by Danno13
With a name like Jesus Lives, you
have bigger issues to worry about than how to get a signature guitar.
Owned
Funk is about rhythm. Not scales. Play whatever damn notes you want
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
wow.....people actually answered :P

well, I know how you play slap (although my style is not really that good. I use the style where you play downstorkes with your thumb)

so....can you guys give any advice about how I can make a good funk sound? :P
If you throw a pudding towards a running elephant in a pine forest, will the cookie come and eat you? O.o

Quote by Danno13
With a name like Jesus Lives, you
have bigger issues to worry about than how to get a signature guitar.
Owned
Any natural major is your best bet , a two octave major E is always great sespecially if you slap and pop on it , great fun too.
i'd tap that .........speaking to a bass, its a music joke!

Harley Benton-hbb200bk
Epiphone Thunderbird
Electro Harmonix Double muff
Harley Benton 80-b amp
Ernie Ball Strings are my preferance!
TS, just use mutes, and a funky rhythm. That's all it takes.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
This has some pretty funky scales:

Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Sly Taco
Mixolydian is somewhat funkay

+1. That 6th and flat 7th... classic. Remember, with funk it is all about the ONE!
Funk is a state of mind.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

Quote by indie-bassist
This has some pretty funky scales:

lol
Blues, both major and minor, work really well. I had a lot of trouble with this when I started out as well, but most of the sound does come from your technique, so focus on that.
Just in case you're wondering:
Minor Blues: Tonic/1st minor third fourth tri-tone fifth minor seventh
Major Blues: Tonic/1st minor second minor third major third fifth (minor seventh)- I don't know if that's technically in it or not, but it sounds okay most of the time.

Also if you're playing the IV chord in major blues, play the fourth. You don't have to stick to the scale, as long as it sounds good, it's a guideline.
Quote by nocturnal Shade
wow.....people actually answered :P

well, I know how you play slap (although my style is not really that good. I use the style where you play downstorkes with your thumb)

so....can you guys give any advice about how I can make a good funk sound? :P

thats the original way to play slap larry graham style
and if you want funk go for him
larry graham graham central station sly and the family stone
study what he does

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Nutter_101
TS, just use mutes, and a funky rhythm. That's all it takes.
Quote by indiebass21
Blues, both major and minor, work really well. I had a lot of trouble with this when I started out as well, but most of the sound does come from your technique, so focus on that.
Just in case you're wondering:
Minor Blues: Tonic/1st minor third fourth tri-tone fifth minor seventh
Major Blues: Tonic/1st minor second minor third major third fifth (minor seventh)- I don't know if that's technically in it or not, but it sounds okay most of the time.

Also if you're playing the IV chord in major blues, play the fourth. You don't have to stick to the scale, as long as it sounds good, it's a guideline.
These two basically cover the essentials to funk, rythmn and the "proper" scales. Also, using the octave, even chromatically, and the fifth are staples of funk.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's not about the scale, it's what you do with it that makes it funky.
Doesn't that involve scales?
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by AboveTheBridge

Doesn't that involve scales?

What I mean is, is that there is no "funk scale", like there isn't a "metal scale" or a "punk scale" or a "freeform jazz odyssey scale".

Just play something that sounds funky, and work out the scale later. Writing to a scale can be very limiting when actually writing a riff or so.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
What I mean is, is that there is no "funk scale", like there isn't a "metal scale" or a "punk scale" or a "freeform jazz odyssey scale".

Just play something that sounds funky, and work out the scale later. Writing to a scale can be very limiting when actually writing a riff or so.
The metal scale is obviously mino...

Alright, got ya.

Although I still think penatonic scales are helpful
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

But to be honest, pentatonic scales are the foundations of most R & B, rock and blues.

And my comment for playing funk, is to quote the high priest of funk, George Clinton.

"Free your mind and your ass will follow".