I've finally made the decision to move down to L.A. and try to make it as a touring artist. I have been saving money throughout my time in college and need a completely new rig. I have a budget of around $4500, but it can go up to around 5k if need be.

I play rock, punk, alt, blues, ect. Bands I listen to would be pennywise, no use for a name, hot water music, the lawrence arms, alkaline trio, bad religion, ect.
I like a heavy tone, but I also want it to sound smooth.

I want an amp that is versatile and that will last.
I have been looking at:

Orange, I haven't been able to play any of them because there are no dealers around me. So long story short, I have not even narrowed down between the ad, thunderverb, or rocker.

Mesa dual rec. I have played it a few times in the studio, it was great, but I think I can do better for the price and everybody has them.

Mesa Roadking. I have played through one, but I hardly remember the tone, I know I loved it, but would like to try it again.

Engl, sick amps, but the odds of me actually getting to play one before I buy is real slim.

Marshall, I've played the 800 and 900 in the studio, but I dont think they are versatile enough.

Those are the main ones coming to mind, I dont mind going used, but i would prefer to buy new.

Guitar wise, I want to drop around $1200-1500. I have a Gibson Les Paul already, but want a back up or two.

Options Im looking at are:

Another Gibson, I kinda want to try other brands.

Esp eclipse 2
or
A ltd ec-1000 with jb 159 pups and a ltd vp400(emg pups)
I have been able to play the Ltd's and loved them, but I have not been able to play an Esp yet. Is it worth the extra money?

I also need a few different effects. I have played tons of different effects, so Im not too concerned with opinions about them.

I have not looked to deep into cab's yet, I will get into that when I narrow down the amp choices.

Clearly I am going to be playing all the gear before buying (if possible) but I would love some other ideas. Im not in a major rush to buy this gear, I would rather take some time and put togather a rig I love that something that blows, and if I don't make it, i will at least have a sick rig.
Consider that $4500 doesn't go a long way when you're purchasing everything. Are you considering things like cables, a power conditioner, and a pedalboard? The small stuff can easily add up to a few hundred bucks before it's all said and done.

Take a good look at a Traynor YCS100H. It's surprisingly good sounding and more versatile than most anything else.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
this suggestion is probably gonna get flamed but what about a Line 6 Vetta?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by Kendall
Consider that $4500 doesn't go a long way when you're purchasing everything. Are you considering things like cables, a power conditioner, and a pedalboard? The small stuff can easily add up to a few hundred bucks before it's all said and done.

Take a good look at a Traynor YCS100H. It's surprisingly good sounding and more versatile than most anything else.

I have a music123 card that Ill be using on all the extra stuff and effects pedals. I figured about 3k for the amp, 1.5k for a new guitar/guitars if I go a little lower end.

I looked into the Traynor, but I am having trouble finding shops that have them in stock. I'm going to be hitting some bigger shops in the Bay area to find a couple that carrier Orange, Engl, and traynor. I have a shop that carries Mesa, but they dont have any Roadkings in stock.
Quote by sirlimecat
this suggestion is probably gonna get flamed but what about a Line 6 Vetta?

With a floorboard, it's an excellent idea.

Consider a V3, also, or a Mark IV.
Are you in a band, are you trying to get into a band, or are you doing some sort of solo thing?

Have you considered focusing on getting a good tone to a PA?
Quote by whoismilan
Are you in a band, are you trying to get into a band, or are you doing some sort of solo thing?

Have you considered focusing on getting a good tone to a PA?

I'm going down to either start or join a band. I'm getting my degree in music business with a minor in production this semester, so naturally LA made since for that. But before I settle in a job, i would rather take a shot at my dream of touring full time.

I'm not looking to run out of a pa.
Check out my sig that is what I use and I couldn't be happier. Considering we do upwards of 200 different tunes. So I really need a little bit of everything. Good Luck
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Amp = Carvin V3 with V3 cab w/ vintage 30s ($1600)
Guitars = Schecter C-1+ (upgrade the pickups) ($700ish), Ibanez RG 2550Z ($900)
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
First off all the major stepping stone venues here have PA's.

Secondly, they are essentially "pay to play" meaning that if you can't draw a crowd, you'll have to pay out of pocket to cover some of the expenses of business that the venue did not recieve from door tickets and drinks.

Also, you won't be touring unless you can break into these venues, such as The Whiskey, The Key Club, Crash Mansion, The Rainbow, etc....

3rd, you're going to have a lot of out of pocket expenses by promoting and networking, ie. handing out flyers, demo CD's, stickers etc. all out of pocket...

The competition of unsigned bands out here is cut throat man, and there's no touring unless you can break into it. There are a few AMAZING unsigned bands that I'm close with that have participated in the Warped Tour, KROQ events, etc. (One of which has even opened for Aerosmith and Motley Crue) that are playing at the places like I stated above. You got your work cut out for you.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Mar 28, 2008,
Also, I would suggest you just find an amp that you like, worry about the pro gear later as there are plenty of instrument rental places here that can supply you with necessary gig and rehearsal equipment. Save your money and put it where it matters... Promoting yourself and supporting yourself, as chances are that you'll be working on gigging and getting an audience for the next few years...If you're lucky.

If you can, I suggest getting a job at an instrument rental place or a rehearsal studio as well.... That way you have access at minimal cost...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by Reildeal
Also, I would suggest you just find an amp that you like, worry about the pro gear later as there are plenty of instrument rental places here that can supply you with necessary gig equipment. Save your money and put it where it matters... Promoting yourself and supporting yourself, as chances are that you'll be working on gigging and getting an audience for the next few years...If you're lucky.

If you can, I suggest getting a job at an instrument rental place or a rehearsal studio as well.... That way you have access at minimal cost...

+1

id buy an amp and since you already have a gibson, you will have a nice rig. worry about the other stuff later.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Just a couple more amp suggestions:

Soldano Decatone-killer tone, plenty of power, very versatile. Ask Kendall. He has one.
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mark 2-I heard an extensive demo at NAMM in January, & this amp can do it all, & do it very well.
Good luck in your quest. Like Reildeal said above, there's tons of great unsigned bands in LA. You don't necessarily have to be the greatest shredding player, but you must take your time to craft truly superior songs, & execute them well to stand out.
Good songwriting skills are any band's best gimmick.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011