Hi all.

Currently building a 7 stringer (3 piece Neck thru (Maple - Sapele-Maple), Sapele body), but im stuck on hardware. Im thinking some sort of Floyd Rose double locking tremelo system for bridge/nut, but for everything else im in the dark.

Sound wise, im looking for a tone like Steve Vai's on the higher notes, and John Petrucci's on the lower end. I was thinking maybe a Dimarzio Blaze Custom for the bridge pickup and a D activator 7 for the neck. Would this work?

And could anybody name me a decent make of machine heads? I know nothing about them :-/

Thanks for your help.
Sperzel and Grover make great tuners.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I have sperzel locking tuners for my 7 string build, and they seem to be great tuners.

You could also look at khaler for bridges
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by t-mas
Hi all.

Currently building a 7 stringer (3 piece Neck thru (Maple - Sapele-Maple), Sapele body), but im stuck on hardware. Im thinking some sort of Floyd Rose double locking tremelo system for bridge/nut, but for everything else im in the dark.

Sound wise, im looking for a tone like Steve Vai's on the higher notes, and John Petrucci's on the lower end. I was thinking maybe a Dimarzio Blaze Custom for the bridge pickup and a D activator 7 for the neck. Would this work?

And could anybody name me a decent make of machine heads? I know nothing about them :-/

Thanks for your help.

You, my friend, have stolen my wood choices

If you want a floyd, just get any old tuners, its not really that cost effective to spend money on locking Sperzels and a 7 string floyd.

Speaking of floyds, OFR7s are hard to get hold of, maybe you could keep an eye on Ebay for Ibanez Lo-Pro 7s and Edge Pro 7s.
Yeah - The ibanez edge is something i was thinking of. I have old ibanez machineheads i got from an old broken guitar (somehow the neck managed to snap off....) maybe i can find one more from somewhere :-/

And any idea aobut pickups?
Thanks for all your help so far guys. When i get back to school i can post some pictures if people are interested.
Quote by thedonutman
If you want a floyd, just get any old tuners, its not really that cost effective to spend money on locking Sperzels and a 7 string floyd.

Yeah, a locking nut kinda makes the locking tuners redundant.
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
Yeah - i never intended to get locking heads anyway. Just some that dont fall apart when i turn them.

And to Tom Hatton - Im failing at the one im making now. I lost concentration when i was filing my neck into a curve (due to me talking to a friend) and i kinda filed a big flat dent into the neck :-/

Still playable, and i almost got it out, but....
Quote by t-mas
Yeah - i never intended to get locking heads anyway. Just some that dont fall apart when i turn them.

And to Tom Hatton - Im failing at the one im making now. I lost concentration when i was filing my neck into a curve (due to me talking to a friend) and i kinda filed a big flat dent into the neck :-/

Still playable, and i almost got it out, but....

Haha, I'm just kidding, although the specs are very tasty indeed. I'm making a guitar at some point, but I'm not brave/skilled enough to make a neck.
Vai tone is Dimarzio Evolutions.

Petrucci tone is currently the D-Sonic.

But, all in all, it REALLY depends on your amp.

For 7-strings, I much prefer EMGs personally. The low end sounded really boring on 2-D on my old Schecter C-7 Blackjack with Duncans.
Ok guys, im back at school tomorrow but i dont have DT untill tuesday :-/

Ill sneak some photo's when the teachers backs are turned, but i got sony ericson W810i phone and every time i take a photo a really loud shutter sound goes off, which i cant turn off on this phone...

Thanks for all your suggestions guys
Cant wait for pics!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Ok guys. Sorry about the LONG delay. I said i would have the pics for tuesday, but over the holiday our school has adopted a STRONG Anti-Mobile Phone appeal. We now have 2 teachers in our class so it has been hard to get pics.

I managed to get them today. I stayed just over 3 HOURS (!!!) after school working on this, because it has to be finished by the end of next week. No chance...

Here are the pics as promised....better late than never i suppose.

Here is a close up of the Fboard, as you cant see the grain very well on the other pics.

I need to work on the back of the neck. The Fboard is so large because i was scared i'd screw up the slotting process (i gave it to a professional in the end), and i'd have to keep cutting bits off where i messed up. The headstock shape still needs to be cut out....and designed i guess. Thats open for idea's.

Tomorrow ill post more pics. Hopefully, i should have contoured the body by then, and maybe even get P'up slots routed out.

Enjoy :-)
Please post your comments.
Thanks.
I really like sawing/planing Sapele. The smell reminds me of Worcester Source.

I think for P'ups, im just going to use a pair of EMG707TW's, just because of the easy installation process. Im not 100% on this. Can i just buy the P'ups with the quickconnect thing, a pick up selector, knobs to go on the shafts, and just play?
Looks really good, didnt imagine sapele looked like that, for some reason I though it was more of a alder/ash colour...

You still have to wire the circuit up as usual but it is slightly simpler (and you dont have to worry about grounding or sheilding the electronics with EMGs).

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by t-mas
Thanks. I have no idea when it comes to installing electronics, because i never had to do it before.

The EMG diagrams are really simple to follow, its just soldering of a few wires to a few pots etc. Easy stuff!

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Thats good i will be able to do that. Ill probably buy a pair of them tomorrow. Need to route out the holes for the pickups.

Haven't done much work today. Most of my lesson was taken up by me taking apart my Fender and looking how deep holes i need to route in for my pickups, and then drawing the stuff on.

Also need get dimensions for a bridge, because a big chunk of wood has gotta come out of there as well...

3 hours of lesson time left... Looks like im gonna have to stay behind a bit more. Have rehersals Monday-Wednesday + Friday, and this thursday is my school concert though. Not sure what im going to do
Last edited by t-mas at Apr 11, 2008,
Our school music technician somehow managed to snap the headstock off a guitar, and after a bit of persuasion, i managed to get him to let me keep it. Of course, my dad threw away the body thinkng it was junk, but i managed to save the headstock. Bit of a shame really, it was a decent guitar.

Here are some pictures of the machine heads. Yeah i know i only have 6....i asked him to search for a extra machine head.

Here they are still on the guitar.

Here they are taken off.

Will order my P'ups and maybe bridge tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks for all your support so far!