Hey everybody,

So I'm going to buy a Standard Strat (MIM) but I saw this Classic Series 50's Stratocaster.

It's kinda out of my budget (the Classic Player is even more out of budget), so I'm not getting it unless there's a big difference comparing to a Standard.
From what I heard so far, there's not a big difference, but I wanted to ask you UG folks.

So is this guitar better, or am I just paying extra for looks?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: One of the things I don't know much about is that V-neck... what's the big difference between the standard C-neck and this V-neck?
Quote by nightraven
don't don't don't take the classic series over the classic player, it's not that much more expensive and it's a huge step up. the classic player+series is much better than the standard strat, i recommend saving up a bit more for the classic player. i've got a 60s CP and it's really worth it.

I'd listen to this man if I were you

He's a big strat fan, he knows his stuff.
Quote by nightraven
don't don't don't take the classic series over the classic player, it's not that much more expensive and it's a huge step up. the classic player+series is much better than the standard strat, i recommend saving up a bit more for the classic player. i've got a 60s CP and it's really worth it.

i prefer the C neck a lot, the 60s CP has a thinner fretboard than normal fenders, which is another reason why i love my guitar so much it's also what put me off the 50s CP

Really? I didn't know the 50's had a thinner fretboard... I don't like the 60's much because I really want a strat with a maple fretboard (I think the 60's CP only come with rosewood).

Either way, I would have to buy the guitar through the internet... I had about 450€ to spend. The Standard would cost me 425€, the regular Classic would cost me around 500€ and the Classic Player around 540€. Is it really worth the + 115€? Is the overall quality that good?
Quote by nightraven
the 50s doesn't have a thinner fretboard, the 60s does

the extra 115 is definitely worth it imo, the classic player is custom shop and everything and is a big BIG improvement over the others. yes the 60s only comes in rosewood i believe, so the 50s is probably better for you, unless you really want the lovely sound of the custom shop '69 pickups

Too bad the Classic Player 50's only comes in two colors...
The looks on those Classic Series 50's are just awesome, specially the Surf Green and the Daphne Blue.

So, let me see if I got it: the CP are custom shop designed, have the vintage bridge and American vintage pickups, while the regular Classic Series only have the vintage look, V-neck (the 50's) and regular Vintage pickups.

In your opinion, a Classic Series with some pickup change later on (maybe some Noiseless, or even the custom '69) would be a good deal? Would it be as good as a CP?
Thanks a million.

I'm really thinking of those sexy Classic 50's now...
Go shopping and look over, and play the Classic 60 series, both of the Classic Player's series, and especially the Classic 50s series. The 50 series has by far the best neck of the 3 series . . . . soft v shape, tinted maple, very very fast and comfy. The Classic Player's series has little else going for it over the 50s or 60s save it costs a bit more, has a cooler looking neck plate I guess, and a 2-point trem unit. The 2-pt trem unit is NOT better, and the 57/62 pickups are a bit nicer. Drawback with the Classic Player's series - the colors are generally pitiful. The sunburst is the best as choices are very limited.

I have many, many strats, including a Fiesta Red Classic 50s strat. Plays like butter. Enthusiasm for playing your axe every day will be at it's highest if

a) you love the look of your axe
b) the neck plays like it's a part of your hand, and
c) the tone excites you

For me, in your price range all of the above are good choices, but the Classic 50s series, especially in Fiesta Red and Surf Green with those tinted maple boards are the jazz.

If I were going out to buy a new axe today I would look hard at the Deluxe Roadhouse strat, about $550 street price, and comes in a killer Arctic White w/tortoise guard, and maple neck. Texas Special pickups, which are surprisingly hot. Very good buy for that price range.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0139312380

Have fun and let us know what you get.
Thanks a lot for your post.

So I went to a local guitar store (the biggest around, I think) and they didn't have any Standards nor Classics. The only Classic they had was a '72 Tele Deluxe, which I tried, but the neck was not the one on the 50's...

The Classic 50's and the Classic Player are 'just' 50€ apart...
From what I've seen, they have the same neck, and the CP has better pickups, better bridge (that's what Fender says) and those locking tuners which should help tuning stability.

Do you think that the Classic Player is not worth the +50€?

Of course my wallet would love to have those 50€ back if I chose the Classic Series
Both Classic and Classic Player are amazing. The pickups are better on the CP, and the tuners too, but then, the other differences which are the bridge and the fretboard radius are subjective.
I prefer the vintage style bridge and 7.25" radius of the Classic to the 2-point bridge and 9.5" radius of the CP, but that's just for my playing style.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby