Okay ive been reading up on my theory a bit and it says playing in key for a major scale you take the 1,4,5 chords and there relative minors and the diminished seventh. which i kinda understand except for the diminished 7th.

also would d major chord be in the key of c major because its the second scale degree or does it have to be minor if so why, or are you only allowed using the 1,4,5 for your major chords.

sorry if this is confusing any help is appreciated.
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
My theory isn't great, but I think the 1,4,5 chords are the only ones where each note is in that key i.e. you can't use a D chord in the key of C because F# isn't in the key of C but the notes for F and G chords are all in C. That's my guess but it could be complete BS.
"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff." -- Mariah Carey
technically you can use any chord you want... but if you set on staying in the Key of C, D major doesn't work because theres no F# in the key of C, you'd want to use a Dm chord.
Quote by ZombieNation727
i.e. you can't use a D chord in the key of C

Wrong. You can use any chord you want; it's accurate to say that a D major chord does not naturally occur in C major, though.

TS: The major scale has seven degrees, each corresponding to a note. C major has these notes: C, D, E, F, G, A, B. The degrees are C=1, D=2, E=3 and so forth.

In a major key, certain triads (chords with three notes) can be built from the scale. For any major key, you have:

I
ii
iii
IV
V
iv
ovii

Uppercase numeral indicates a major triad, lowercase are minor triads and the "ovii" is a diminished chord. If you look at the notes of C major this makes sense:

C E G (C major)
D F A (D minor)
E G B (E minor)
F A C (F major)
G B D (G major)
A C E (A minor)
B D F (B diminished)

The I-IV-V-I progression is common because it uses all the major chords that naturally occur in the key.
Quote by Cobalt Blue
oh you might want to look up a lesson on 'harmonizing a scale' it might help you out a bit.

heres a video one http://youtube.com/watch?v=C-Xpw3aSeLE

haha, I just randomly saw him( David Weiner) last night. I went to the Sam ash in Springfeild Nj just for one of my usual equipment tests and he was there doing a clinic.
k i get it thanks guys
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Quote by purerock
haha, I just randomly saw him( David Weiner) last night. I went to the Sam ash in Springfeild Nj just for one of my usual equipment tests and he was there doing a clinic.

lol damn I'm jealous, he's a great player, and seems like a really fun guy.