Aight, so, in light of having a crappy laptop, I've decided to get a job and build my own computer... But I've never done that before, so for the comp gamers of UG, I come to you seeking advice.

This is the build I'm looking at right now:
Case1 or Case 2 Not really sure which I'm gonna go with...
RAM
Mobo
Harddrive
Sound Card 1 or Sound Card 2 I'm leaning more towards 2, since it doesn't seem to lose anything other than X-RAM, which from what I've heard, isn't useful in gaming.. Dunno though.
Video Card
Processor
Power Supply
CD/DVD Drive

What does the gaming population of UG think of this build? lol
I am not clicking all those links, so if you list the items I will help out.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Could you just type out what parts you are going to use? My interwebz are kinda slow today, so loading all those sites is taking forever. If you never build a pc yourself before, you're better off letting a pro assemble it for you. Granted it will cost you a lot of cash but at least you don't have to worry about destroying electronics worth a couple hundred bucks.
everythings great except, i would go for an amd processor, sure more power consumption but cheaper and just as fast, also, go for the 8800gt not gts... the 8800gt has better bench marks than the gts and is really close too the gtx, and it has les power consumption.
Quote by Caseyizzle
everythings great except, i would go for an amd processor, sure more power consumption but cheaper and just as fast, also, go for the 8800gt not gts... the 8800gt has better bench marks than the gts and is really close too the gtx, and it has les power consumption.

I have to say that AMDs are not quite as fast as Intels at the moment, you get more bang for the buck with an Intel by now.
The second point is also wrong, the GTS is faster than the GT, it works like this:
GS<GT<GTS<GTX<Ultra.
Everyone will tell you, as Caseyizzle already has, go for the 8800GT instead of GTS. It's the best value for money right now for a card.
Quote by TheQuailman
I have to say that AMDs are not quite as fast as Intels at the moment, you get more bang for the buck with an Intel by now.
The second point is also wrong, the GTS is faster than the GT, it works like this:
GS<GT<GTS<GTX<Ultra.

While you can get faster Intel chips, you can get very good AMD chips for much cheaper. You lose some performance for less money. I would go with AMD unless you are on an unlimited budget.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
While you can get faster Intel chips, you can get very good AMD chips for much cheaper. You lose some performance for less money. I would go with AMD unless you are on an unlimited budget.

Maybe the prices are different in the US, but around here, it only pays off to get an AMD if you are looking for realy cheap stuff - but if you are a gamer willing to pay more than 100€, you better get an Intel.
I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just wondering.
But I just ordered a brand new Intel pc yesterday, so maybe I'm biased.

Quote by GLP_Arclite
You could go for a 9600 GT, those cards are great for the price

But if he has the money for a 8800GTS, he should buy it. It costs about 80 bucks extra, but it's definitely worth it.
I guess it might be cheaper in the US then. AMD dual processors are much cheaper, and just as good as Intel. They don't have (to my knowledge, yet) a quad-core so obviously an Intel quad will outperform any AMD, but will cost much more. But on gaming PCs your main focus shouldn't be processor but more on RAM, cooling, and mainly video card.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by TheQuailman
GS<GT<GTS<GTX<Ultra.

amds are just as fast, less l2 cache is about the only difference, oh ya and power consumption, buts hes got a 700w, thats plenty... as for the gts, go check out tomshardware.com, the 8800 gt has better benchmarks than almost every card on the market atm..
Quote by TheQuailman
Yep, quad core does not pay off yet, hardly any game uses the extra cores.

Yet... but I forked over the dough just in case.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by TheQuailman
Yep, quad core does not pay off yet, hardly any game uses the extra cores.

yes the quadcore is obsolete atm, they haven't really made programs that take advantage of all 4 cores yet..

OK!! Tower 2 would be my choice, but only if it comes with 2 12mm fans to make use of the open vents, and I would get 2 of the processors if you plan on doing any overclocking (core 2 duos are advertised with more kick, but redundant as programs have yet to utilize full processor capabilities). If you do get 2 processors, then an upgrade to 8gb (4 is fine) of ram would be advisable, but you can only access this extra ram power by having a 64bit windows xp operating system, or a new vista platform full of bugs either of those operating systems may give you compatibility issues when installing games and some drivers. Also, if getting extra ram and processor, then motherboard may need to be upgraded to fit the extra processor, looks like the one you selected would hold 4 ram slots.

The harddrive is great, lots of space and a decent speed for a good price! Like it. May have to get one myself. Your sound card is overkill if you are just using a simple desktop speaker set up, but if you are going for surround sound, then the 7.1 card is the way to go, only with 7.1 speakers that is... and do the games you play support this level of sound?! So will it be necessary, sound cards are always where people go overboard, a good place to save some money for other 'upgrades'.

For the video cards, as said before, the 8800gt would be fine, but I would recommend, again, going for two of them, as they are SLI configurable, meaning, in a nutshell, that you can run two of them at the same time, sparsing your screen into two halves, having top half for one card, the lower half for the other card, all the while making smoother and better antialiasing for smoother graphics and gameplay! Having two cards again may require a mother board increase. To handle these cards, might I recommend an ASUS mother board (but do not overclock, isn't necessary) or a straight up, expensive nvidia motherboard designed for gaming. More expensive, but in the long run, built to last and last faster!

Your power supply is 700w, way too much for what you've got selected on your own, but with my recommendations, with the dual processor, 8gb or ram, and dual SLI video cards, this power supply would be just right! But with what you got, you can get a power supply in the 500w range and still feel comfortably safe!

As for the CD drive..... word of caution, to have only one, it to have nothing.... These can be the most prone to failure piece of hardware in your system. Advisable to have 2, a CDR/RW drive and a DVDR/RW drive. This way you can also make copies of your games to save your discs from being scratched and what not, because a lot of games nowadays are burned to DVD-ROM's because of size. And if you get 2 cd drives, one for just cdr's the other for dvdr's then you'll find them much more reliable as they have a better chance of being high quality being built for a specific purpose, ie, just burning cds' or the other, just burning dvds. Maxtor CD drives are the best, but you'll find, most expensive also, hella expensive, but last forever!

Any questions, just ask me. I have a gaming platform, that I built and am typing this right now on! So I have some experience, same as you, just wanted to build my own computer and knew nothing! Prepare to learn lots!

PS!!!!! Don't forget to look carefully at what wiring requirements all your hardware pieces require, most often they come with the proper wiring, but when it comes to connecting it to another piece of hardware, ie a harddrive to the motherboard, both may have different electrical impedences requiring a different guage of wire to compensate for this difference.
Last edited by Lastin at Mar 28, 2008,
I can just repeat it:
GS<GT<GTS<GTX<Ultra

Seriously guys, I just checked it and this is the way it goes. And yes, I checked benchmarks.
There are plenty of GT cards out there which are overclocked by the manufacturer, so they get pretty close to the performance of a GTS, they're worth looking at.
quailman speaks the truth it goes:
GS<GT<GTS<GTX<Ultra

Everything you have picked out looks great, except that power supply is a little overboard. You should only need a 500watt power supply.

And quadcores do have uses, like if you like to rip movies to your HD then the quadcore will be utilized completely, but I don't believe there is a game yet that utilizes it.
Last edited by enjoi91 at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by enjoi91
quailman speaks the truth it goes:
GS<GT<GTS<GTX<Ultra

Everything you have picked out looks great, except that power supply is a little overboard. You should only need a 500watt power supply.

I would never recommend anything under 650w power supply. Especially if you ever want to upgrade, you don't want to have to upgrade the power supply as well.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Do you really need a soundcard? Most mobos have perfectly adequate sound cards as it is.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Wayward_Son
Do you really need a soundcard? Most mobos have perfectly adequate sound cards as it is.

If you want awesome 7.1 Dolby Digital Surround sound while playing some game, yes you do. Otherwise, onboard soundcard is fine.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by Lastin

What's so much better about AMD than Intel? Just that they're cheaper? Everyone I've talked to has said that Intel performs better than AMD in the prices I'm looking at.
Quote by Lastin
OK!! Tower 2 would be my choice, but only if it comes with 2 12mm fans to make use of the open vents, and I would get 2 of the processors if you plan on doing any overclocking (core 2 duos are advertised with more kick, but redundant as programs have yet to utilize full processor capabilities). If you do get 2 processors, then an upgrade to 8gb (4 is fine) of ram would be advisable, but you can only access this extra ram power by having a 64bit windows xp operating system, or a new vista platform full of bugs either of those operating systems may give you compatibility issues when installing games and some drivers. Also, if getting extra ram and processor, then motherboard may need to be upgraded to fit the extra processor, looks like the one you selected would hold 4 ram slots.

What's the benefit of getting 2 processors instead of just one?
Quote by Lastin
Your sound card is overkill if you are just using a simple desktop speaker set up, but if you are going for surround sound, then the 7.1 card is the way to go, only with 7.1 speakers that is... and do the games you play support this level of sound?! So will it be necessary, sound cards are always where people go overboard, a good place to save some money for other 'upgrades'.

I was actually thinking the same thing... Right now I'm mainly looking at the cheaper of the 2 I linked because it looks to be the exact same thing minus like X-RAM, which to my understanding isn't used in games... But, also, I am a musician and I like high-quality sound... Especially on my recordings. lol
Quote by Lastin
For the video cards, as said before, the 8800gt would be fine, but I would recommend, again, going for two of them, as they are SLI configurable, meaning, in a nutshell, that you can run two of them at the same time, sparsing your screen into two halves, having top half for one card, the lower half for the other card, all the while making smoother and better antialiasing for smoother graphics and gameplay! Having two cards again may require a mother board increase. To handle these cards, might I recommend an ASUS mother board (but do not overclock, isn't necessary) or a straight up, expensive nvidia motherboard designed for gaming. More expensive, but in the long run, built to last and last faster!

The guy I talked to about having two video cards said that the increased performance varies a lot.. Might be 60% in one game and none in another, so in the end it might end up not being useful to me at all and I would've wasted upwards of another thousand dollars getting what I need to use two video cards. And as far as what I'd be playing at the moment (Half-Life2, Counter-Strike, WoW, mainly) I think one video card would be sufficient anyway.
Quote by Lastin
Your power supply is 700w, way too much for what you've got selected on your own, but with my recommendations, with the dual processor, 8gb or ram, and dual SLI video cards, this power supply would be just right! But with what you got, you can get a power supply in the 500w range and still feel comfortably safe!

Yeah, I was just guessing at the PSU. I got some help and now I'm looking at this one. It's cheaper, and should do what I need easily, right?
Quote by Lastin
As for the CD drive..... word of caution, to have only one, it to have nothing.... These can be the most prone to failure piece of hardware in your system. Advisable to have 2, a CDR/RW drive and a DVDR/RW drive. This way you can also make copies of your games to save your discs from being scratched and what not, because a lot of games nowadays are burned to DVD-ROM's because of size. And if you get 2 cd drives, one for just cdr's the other for dvdr's then you'll find them much more reliable as they have a better chance of being high quality being built for a specific purpose, ie, just burning cds' or the other, just burning dvds. Maxtor CD drives are the best, but you'll find, most expensive also, hella expensive, but last forever!

Would you mind linking me to some drives you recommend? I just looked at the one I had picked out and it isn't SATA. =/ lol

Thanks for all your all's imput as well. =)

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.. Something came up and I was out of town for the weekend.