Hey guys, so I have an iMac with garage band on it and I was trying to record a song today but with an actual mic instead of the built in one but I don't know how to hook it up to my computer....any ideas? Thanks
I say the same thing to everyone:

Spend at least $1000.

Anything less is like trying to perform surgery with a fork.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

that has nothing to do with garageband, but whatever.

the mic should have an XLR plug, so you'll need some sort of adapter to get it to fit into your computer's input, or you'll need some sort of processor like thing that will take the XLR input and use a different cable to hook up to your computer.
yeah XLR plug needed, then make sure you switch the mike to intenal line or whatever it is instead of external
I use a mic cable that converts from the standard mic jack to a 1/8 inch on the other end, which then plugs into an apple iMic adapter that goes into the usb (my computer doesn't have a 1/8 inch in) for garageband it works just fine, even though it is alot of different connections
This is why I got a ****ty cheap usb mic to record.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by samick007
I use a mic cable that converts from the standard mic jack to a 1/8 inch on the other end, which then plugs into an apple iMic adapter that goes into the usb (my computer doesn't have a 1/8 inch in) for garageband it works just fine, even though it is alot of different connections

Where do I get one of those adapters?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Mic > audio interface > Mac.

You should get acceptable results with a little mixing and EQing.

Mic directly to sound card is not recommended, even on a mac. In fact, especially on a mac.