Hi guys ,

Im planning to get some sort of recording equipment to start
recording my songs, the thing is I don't know where to start or what to get.
I want to invest into something that can help me create professional quality
recordings so I am willing to invest .....

I took a look at this line 6 product called Tone port (http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/line6-toneport/68598),

but I am not sure if its worth the money or if it would be the money or
if its a better idea to invest in something like this : http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/br-900/67805
first link broken, but toneports are alright, but a small mixer, a 24bit sound card(if not already installed), a direct box for instruments, cables with right connections, try to avoid cables that change from one end to the other as sound quality can be easily affected. Like an 1/8" to 1/4" or XLR to 1/4".

At times this can be unavoidable, but limit how many times this is done.

EDIT: also a program!!! Cubase, Protools(required m-audio or digi hardware), Adobe Premiere Pro, Garabe Band (16bit only could be wrong though, haven't seen the updated release), Ableton, and some other good ones. Either of these will work, there is also Sonoma Riffworks, which is like a fun recording program, and you can jam with people in real time! Not for the serious recorder, just playing around, really fun i'd say!
Last edited by Lastin at Mar 28, 2008,
Try a Tascam US-122 or equivalent...cheap and effective....then run that through cubase or Cakewalk. Nice one.
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
i would get the line 6 pod xtlive...might not make sense at first but you can run everything through it and you also get awesome guitar tones......check out my profile and see if you think it sounds profesional.......i just used a drum loop for the drums but recorded bass and guitar through it. vocals can be done through it as well and it hooks up to the computer easy enough via USB

**EDIT** I use garage band on a mac as far as software goes
you should try the tunestudio. its very easy to use and best thing is you dont need a computer to record a track, you can either record right to your ipod then mix on the computer or USB right to the computer just google it. the actual website doesnt help that much but its made by Belkin. i have one and i like it
Quote by Lastin
first link broken, but toneports are alright, but a small mixer, a 24bit sound card(if not already installed), a direct box for instruments, cables with right connections, try to avoid cables that change from one end to the other as sound quality can be easily affected. Like an 1/8" to 1/4" or XLR to 1/4".

At times this can be unavoidable, but limit how many times this is done.

EDIT: also a program!!! Cubase, Protools(required m-audio or digi hardware), Adobe Premiere Pro, Garabe Band (16bit only could be wrong though, haven't seen the updated release), Ableton, and some other good ones. Either of these will work, there is also Sonoma Riffworks, which is like a fun recording program, and you can jam with people in real time! Not for the serious recorder, just playing around, really fun i'd say!

Hi ...hows a 24bit sound card better ? I dont think my laptop has one .....
24bit will just produce better quality results, but only if you have the right set up, but it you don't wanna fork up a couple bucks, then stick with simple, simple equipment and 16bit program like Garageband can work wonders.