Not really, for the price it's alright and gets the job done if you want basic distortion. However there are much better pedals.

What's your current set up? What sort of distortion sounds do you want? And what's your budget?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I'm gonna buy a Roland Cube 60
I think
So i want a distorion pedal cheap
to play songs of Rock but not heavy MCR, FOB etc
I've never played an amp that sounded good with a DS-1. Always hated it. I tried to mod it and screwed up, and I don't regret the loss.
RP50 probably wouldn't be the best idea since the TS is getting a modeling amp. Multi FX with modeling isn't supposed to sound good.

As for the Roland Cube 60, you should get the amp first and then decide if you need a distortion.
For MCR and FOB type stuff you should only need basic distortion for rock and any decent modeling amp should be able to cover that. If not then you can look into a pedal.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Mar 28, 2008,
Its a pretty gd dist, quite chrunchy and gritty tho, u might like tht. But it works nicely with a tube amp, if u roll the dist off almost completely, really tightens up the dist and makes it much brighter and punchier. But thts irrelevant becus u want a cube!
The DS-1 is great modded. Stock, it's just decent.

You can't beat a $50 dollar pedal plus a $20 mod kit that sounds better than a lot of $100 plus pedals... IMO
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
i agree with zeppelin, i wouldnt suggest using a DS-1 with a modeling amp at all. I hear the cube sounds pretty gd anyway, but if its not enuf, use overdrive.
whats better The DS-1 or The Digitech Hot head
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/dhh-hot/13050

both the boss and the digitech have got pretty similar reviews. Im a beginner so im thinkin of purchasing my first pedal along with an orange crush 15 amp. Or should i go for a digitech bad monkey, Ibanez TS7 Tube-screamer or a boss sd-1?
Last edited by RHCP_Nirvana_FF at Mar 28, 2008,
So the best option

Is only put distortion with the R-Cube 60?
Its because i dont look for a great distortion
I wouldn't put anything in front of it, most of these modeling amps should be versatile enough for modern punk style stuff.

I would only get a pedal after buying the amp and seeing if a pedal is needed.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Mar 28, 2008,
Digital amps do not like distortion pedals - trust me, today i plugged my pedals into my Vox AD50VT and my boss DS-2 sounded horrible with it (though some might say the DS-2 sounds horrible anyway). My Jackhammer overdrive wasn't too bad on some amp settings, but i didn't say it sounded good.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I bought a DS-1, it is aweome, and it was $15 canadian used. amazing sounding pedal+dirt cheap+built like a tank=win

and its orange, which is kewl
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
The built in metal distortion on the cube is pretty badass. The rectifier modeling thing anyways.
Quote by rolas92
I'm gonna buy a Roland Cube 60
I think
So i want a distorion pedal cheap
to play songs of Rock but not heavy MCR, FOB etc

If you get a roland Cube you'll have absolutely no use for a DS1.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok first off, using pedals on a modelling amp doesn't really make sense. Others have mentioned this.
Generally the DS-1 is not a bad option for distortion, but when you figure in how cheap it is it makes it ideal for beginners.
Oh, Mama, can this really be the end
To be stuck inside of Mobile
With the Memphis blues again.