Page 1 of 2
For some of you or most of you it might be obvious because your in a band or something, but for those that aren't or for those who are even...do you mention, tell, show, flaunt, whatever that you are a musician. I don't mean in a negative way, just do people know your a musician or are you rather reserved about it.

I was talking to a friend and he was going to join a band. He joins bands just for the sake of joining them, even if he dislikes the members or the genre, he just joins if he's invited. Which I find rediculous. So I bring this up and he says that at least he's out there...I don't really know what to think. On one hand, he's kind of true, but I'd hate being in a band that I don't fully love. i want to be in a band that palys the music I like and have fun making music.

Anyway, so I though to myself and decided that I'm rather shy and not a lot of people even know I'm a musician....what about you?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Everyone knows I'm a musician- I have even been given described as simply- "John, you know- the musician?". That is how much I boast. :p
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Well my friends like to announce that i play guitar, but i usually dont tell people. I feel like im trying to get attention if i tell people and i dont like that.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
lol i find the only time i really just throw it out there is when someone asks me if i have a job haha... but besides that people usually know by the treble cleff tattoo on my forearm
pretty much anyone who knows me knows im a guitarist
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
I don't actively tell people I play guitar / whatever else, but if they ask, I'll tell them.
Not really. If someone asks me if I play instruments, I'll tell them about guitar and trombone, and if i'm in a band, I'll mention that.

I dunno, i feel nervous telling people about it.
Who dat?
I dunno... It occurs to me that all my friends are musicians...

What a terrible state of affairs *sobs*

seriosuly, musicians are pretty annoyng, lol.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I play guitar a little over stickam, and I try to record videos of me doing music. So yeah a bit.
Most people in my school know.
I'm in the concert band, and I'm in the choir rhythm section, I'm also on the music council.
When I meet new people I don't really tell them unless they ask what I'm interested in or something like that.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I think it's best to be out there as a musician. If I didn't I wouldn't been offered band invitations and even session musician invitations.

Im a quite shy person too. Played live a few times and I tell you that once on stage, the shyness goes away and it's you but with the volume turned up x100.
.:: Current Setup::.

ESP Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider II 30W
Fender Squire Acoustic Guitar
Encore LP Copy
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Axl B35 Bass Amp

A lot of people know that I am a guitarist playing in a band, however they only found out when we were once talking about music and guitars in general. I'm not the kind of guy that goes up to someone they just learned to know and says "Hi, I'm Phil and yeah, I play guitar."
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

It's not really anyone's business....I only mention it if it comes up....unless I'm promoting my band.
It's pretty obvious I play guitar, I've played several times at my school, and simply everyone knows I play the guitar.
One of my pet hates is people who completely brag about how they play guitar, and then suck hardcore at playing. It's like they just play guitar so they can say they do.
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG
Quote by jxmxaxn
Well my friends like to announce that i play guitar, but i usually dont tell people. I feel like im trying to get attention if i tell people and i dont like that.

I´m like that to, I only tell ppl if they ask
Almost everyone in my school knows that I'm involved in music, because I performed Heart-Shaped Box for the school one year. I sang it though, and my boyfriend played guitar, so I'm not sure they know that I play guitar too. I don't really broadcast it. I've been learning piano for several years, so I'm sure that's gotten around by now.

All in all, I don't say much about it, I guess.

Quote by Hannakins
Almost everyone in my school knows that I'm involved in music, because I performed Heart-Shaped Box for the school one year. I sang it though, and my boyfriend played guitar, so I'm not sure they know that I play guitar too. I don't really broadcast it. I've been learning piano for several years, so I'm sure that's gotten around by now.

All in all, I don't say much about it, I guess.

I'd like to take the time to point out I was that boyfriend that played guitar.

And I flaunt my guitar 'skillz' anytime I can, I just love talking about it, I can't help it. XD
i dont tell many people about it either. the people that know i play guitar typically found out from my friends or people that've heard me play. other than that i try to not even touch a guitar when im out around a bunch of people, cause i dont like all of the attention that comes along with holding the guitar in a crowd.

but the biggest "on the spot" moment i've had came when a girlfriend told this guy that i played. he begged me to play something on his acoustic so i did when we were in his store. people walked in an out but i didn't pay attention.

the next day people had wanted to take lessons in there from me and the guy said that he'd as for just 5% for the facility and the rest would be mine. i was so shocked by that i didn't touch my guitar for about a year.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
When people find out I play guitar they usually laugh and say bullcrap. So I don't tell any one.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I never put anything "out there" because I don't play guitar for approval. In fact, I don't do any sort of thing for approval. If someone knows me well enough, and I let them get to know me, they might find I do a lot of interesting things.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by Jackal58
When people find out I play guitar they usually laugh and say bullcrap. So I don't tell any one.

On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I don't usually tell it in words, I just look like one. Long hair, silver guitar picks on neclaces, ACDC shirt, jacket that says Fender on it, hell even my cubicle at work doesn't even have pictures of my girlfriend, it's Toki Wartooth, Ace Frehely Zakk Wylde, Tony Iommi Janick Gers, Tom Morelo and Eddie Van Halen. So yeah, I make my appearance tell you I'm a musician.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
It's the first thing I say when someone says "tell me about yourself"

As far as showing off, I'll fool around with one of my friends guitars if they bring it in, but I don't bring my own. And I don't play the hardest things I can when I do.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
i don't really say that much unless someone ask. lol
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
I only tell it in class in the beginning of the year when they ask 'what are your hobbies' etc.
I don't, but apparently if I do, it seems like I'm trying to get attention, when I'm just saying... Meh, who gives a damn.

MONSTA EDIT:

To girls, that is...

But everyone at school either knows or can tell...because I'm always talking about music and ****.
Last edited by ze monsta at Mar 28, 2008,
I only mention when people ask. I hate the fucking idiots, some of them my friends, who go around bragging that they play guitar, when they all blow at it. Most people nowadays play guitar for the sake of playing guitar.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
I try not to, but people notice because i usually have a rhtyhm in my mind that i want to play on something
Everyone just kinda knows.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
not really.... but I always have either guitar picks, or drum sticks with me. so people kinda get the message.

oh, and my parents.... whenever we have company over, they always ask me to play for them... =/
"I've said it like 30 times in a row" - Barry Johnson and the Funky Bunch
Why not?

People tell me that they run or they like Mexican food...

It's not some big, egotistical statement to say, "yah, I play..."

And if anyone comments that I'm really good or something like that I say, "well, I've worked my ass off so..."

It's not some blessed gift that makes me better than anyone. I just set it as a goal for myself, worked, and now I can play.

So yes, I tell people about it. Why not?
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

I don't brag. I'm generally modest. There are some great guitarists at my school, and when people ask if I'm better than them, I usually say no, because I don't think I am. Except for kids who play because it's the cool thing to do.

People know I'm a musician, because I always where my band shirt. And I'm in the band, and people just know me as a band geek. Most of my friends are musicians, but not serious musicians. They just like band class, I don't think most will continue playing after high school.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
I try not to, but if someone asks me about my hobbies or what I do in my spare time, it all comes pouring out.

I enjoy showing off when I can, also.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Everyone has their own style, so I'd say I'm at least good enough to have defined mine.

It's hard to judge better/worse at that point because how do you compare classical vs jazz vs metal?

...assuming they are all proficient in their craft.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Page 1 of 2