I've gotten a few guys willin to play with me in a talent show and we're trying to think of a song we could play last minute that's fun to play and mildly impressive. I have another guitarist, a bassist, and a drummer. I'll have to sing and play lead so...

I was thinkin somethin along the lines of Velvet Revolver.

Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.
Pick something you're comfortable singing.

It sucks when everything in a talent show is cool, except the stupid teenager trying to sing.
Who dat?
Well I can sing and I take vocal lessons and all, but I prefer backups to focus more on guitar.

And I have a lower voice by the way so Mars Volta.... no.
Quote by goldmember1217
Something by The Mars Volta, particularly Goliath or Cicatriz ESP.

EDIT: You better have a damn good drummer, though.

He's a sick drummer but my vocals would be the problem there considering how I have a lower voice and couldn't hit that very easily (if at all), especially while playing lead guitar
and whats the musical tastes of ur school mass majority that will be there
if ur good at sweeps and have the vocal capabilities u could try that new A7X "afterlife" the dual leads come off real well and the solos amazing
A nice take on American Pie or Stairway to Heaven. Might seem cliche, but it is EFFECTIVE.
Gear: Gibson SG standard EMG ZW pickups, vintage Acoustic combo, Boss ME-50, 12 string Ibanez.
Learn to fly or My Hero ~ Foo Fighters
"I've said it like 30 times in a row" - Barry Johnson and the Funky Bunch
Blues Brothers! It's a great song and the crowd get into it fast! Dress up aswell =).
or some old school metallica, or SWeet child of mine since everyon e and there mom nos b/c of guitar hero now
We like everything, but we live with a bunch of hicks in TN so we don't want to play death metal or anything.

We were thinking about Slither...

I don't think that my other guitarist and my bassist could keep up w/ A7X stuff.
idk really kno. i would say something by The Who. I had this same situation and we played "My Generation" and everything worked out fine.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
Play some southern rock. La Grange would be two guitars would be cool...OH, DO DUELING BANJOS.
or u could do an dual guitar dual with "devil went down to georgia the powertab for the metal version is on this site and u can improvise the solo duals"
Quote by F8iscruel
or some old school metallica, or SWeet child of mine since everyon e and there mom nos b/c of guitar hero now

I'd love to do either of those but Metallica would be too heavy for the judges (especially the songs we'd wanna do) and I can't sing like Axl...
u could try to find someone who could, i mean the lyrics arent that hard to learn so find someone with a really good vocal range and get them to do it
Well I've looked but there isn't a good singer who is interested in anything heavier than RHCP (nothing against them, but that isn't what I want to perform)
well u can do the one i said earlier "the devil went down to georgia" on gutiar it would do pretty well and the dual guitar solo could be a good improvise section, or u can right one before hand and practice it but it has everything u need
u said u live in a hick town and its a country ish song
u want to do something rockish and a rewrite would be possible
easy to throw to gether bc there a lot of improve involved in the solos
Well the people at this highschool are just kind of hicks and it probably wouldn't go over too well if I tried something like Metallica

ok, lot's of good ideas. I'm writing them all down

Thanks a lot guys! If you have any more, just post 'em.
Alice In Chains - Them Bones, Would?, Dam That River
Muse - The Small Print
Sum 41 - Pieces, Motivation, Still Waiting
Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench, All My Life
Anything by Green Day
Nirvana - In Bloom, Teen Spirit, Serve the Servants, Heart-shaped box
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by eds1275
I'd love to do either of those but Metallica would be too heavy for the judges (especially the songs we'd wanna do) and I can't sing like Axl...

You don't have to sing like Axl, just interpret the song your own way, that's what covers are all about.