Dudes and dudettes, I have always thought about what amp to get and stuff in terms of wattage. But I keep saying to myself I need an amp for bedroom practice so 15w should be enough, why would I go get a 60W which wont be of any use?

Secondly when I'm gigging with my band I am not gonna use my amp, there is always a sound system at the venue.

So, ultimately there is no need for any amp which is more than lets say 30W for band practice in a studio or whatever then why do people get 30W+ amps??
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
So what are you asking?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
So what are you asking?

Ever heard of a question mark, it implies that the letters before it actually form words that form questions.

Quote by breakstuff
Ever heard of a question mark, it implies that the letters before it actually form words that form questions.

Have you?

a-hole.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

First off a 30w tube amp will be much louder than a 30w Solid State Amp.

2nd off, did you really just ask why people would get an amp over 30 watts???

See what I did there, I used question marks.
Yes what's the point?

it's like your package size...they're bigger, perform better, look way cooler than smaller ones, and you can brag! it's really easy...they're awesome!

PS. what are you going to do when you find a place without a sound system?

[ and seriously, am i really the only person who can answer this question, dudes, take your fights somewhere else...this is a forum. ]
O O

___
Quote by tr3nt
Have you?

a-hole.

What is the point of the 'a-hole'? so you feel better now?

Quote by TheBax
it's like your package size...they're bigger, perform better, look way cooler than smaller ones, and you can brag! it's really easy...they're awesome!

PS. what are you going to do when you find a place without a sound system?

[ and seriously, am i really the only person who can answer this question, dudes, take your fights somewhere else...this is a forum. ]

Quote by breakstuff
What is the point of the 'a-hole'? so you feel better now?

Whats your problem man? You come here looking for answers but do you expect one when act like this? I was just asking you to establish of what you were asking more wow.

Sorry.. I guess?

yeah, but you were kind of a D!CK about it, but don't mind me, i'm not in a fight, but just for future fight avoiding, try to be a little nicer this is a place for helping people.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
yeah, but you were kind of a D!CK about it, but don't mind me, i'm not in a fight, but just for future fight avoiding, try to be a little nicer this is a place for helping people.

Me?! I came willing to help him but didn't fully understand, he shot first.

I'm leaving this thread though. Best of luck to you TS.

same you, have a friznastic day...
but for the real purpose of this thread, if you've got the money, get a 30Watt at least, unless you've got to constantly keep it quiet, and if i'm correct, you're in college, and that's probably not the best place to be cranking it up at.
but it really depends, if you like the sound of REALLY blasting it out, or getting the perfect sound of half-way, it's your call.
Me, i'm gonna get a huge amp, because when i get home from school, i'm home for 2 HOURS, yeah, and i've got to live it up, and i'm in a band, and will have some money soon, so i'm getting a HUGE amp, most likely 100watts, but it's really all up to you...hope it was helpful.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
same you, have a friznastic day...
but for the real purpose of this thread, if you've got the money, get a 30Watt at least, unless you've got to constantly keep it quiet, and if i'm correct, you're in college, and that's probably not the best place to be cranking it up at.
but it really depends, if you like the sound of REALLY blasting it out, or getting the perfect sound of half-way, it's your call.
Me, i'm gonna get a huge amp, because when i get home from school, i'm home for 2 HOURS, yeah, and i've got to live it up, and i'm in a band, and will have some money soon, so i'm getting a HUGE amp, most likely 100watts, but it's really all up to you...hope it was helpful.

You will never use 100W..

I wish my boogie had a 15W switch.

An amp with more wattage has more "headroom" meaning having your Marshall MG10 at 10 on clean will sound distorted and lame, whilst having your Marshall Bluesbreaker at the same volume will be clean.
100 watts is twice as loud as 10 watts. Not 10 times.
i thought you were leaving, well go...go on...you're not helping anybody, you're just criticizing everything everyone else says, who are TRYING to help breakstuff!
O O

___
Do you even know how loud 100 watts is? 10 watts is real loud. 100 watts is literally the most disguting thing you have ever heard (if you are gonna crank it), on it own. And do you even know how heavy they are...If you are intent on lugging it around, fine, but it will be heavy.

Get a 50 watt amp, tops.
I'm trying to help YOU.. ;\

well i currently own a Line 6 Spider 3 30watt, and i'll probably lug that around, as for any gigs or anything i'll use the 100, but just for band practice, i'll use the 30...unless i ever need to sell it for some extra cash.

And to tr3nt, let's just get over this, both of us, we look like kids, i'm sorry if you are, lets just stop wasting our time.
O O

___
People get over 30 watt amps because they sound better than plugging directly into a not so good amp provided at a gig. Having an amp enables the person to have a consistent tone that they like instead of having to hope and pray that the amp at the gig doesn't suck. Plus its pure awesome cranking a 50 watt tube amp at a gig.
Quote by D Man

As a rule we have for SS:

10-30W: practice on your own.
30-50W: practice with a band or recording.
50 to 100W (or more): Gigs (as much wattage as you ever need)

And for valves:

<20W: practice on your own
20-30W Band practice/Recording
30-50W Gigging.
>50W Hearing damage.

Note there are overlaps because you can use any given wattage of amp at different volumes and for different purposes (!).

Don?t get an amp just for a tremendous wattage. Get one that you like the sound of and suits your needs. And when considering gigs, remember that the largest venues always have a house PA, which you can mike a small amp up through.

Now go try some amps out!

Read the stickies damn you!