I already know i'm getting a DSL100 Marshall Head, so don't ask or comment on that, i'm just letting you know.

I'm starting a band, and i wanted to know how much ampage i should get...

But i wanted to know, because i'm probably gonna get a MC2x12(30watts) and eventually add onto it, how much more do i need to buy, depending on where i play.

It'll probably be smaller gigs for sure, but just give an estimate...
Like This:
how many people = what other cabs to buy
O O

___
back in the 70's we had AMPAGE - now they make a thing called a P.A. - invest in one (and a mixer) and Mic your amp.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
What?

Just get a cabinet that can handle 100watts and you're set for VERY large venues - 40 watts valve will easily fill out a gig.
I would still pick the DSL50 over the 100 so that you can crank it but ah well
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
What?

Just get a cabinet that can handle 100watts and you're set for VERY large venues - 40 watts valve will easily fill out a gig.
I would still pick the DSL50 over the 100 so that you can crank it but ah well

Depends. If you want headroom, 40watts valve isn't crap. If you want to crank it and keep your tone fairly intact and play a large venue, you'll need around 80-100. As for a cab... get one that can handle all 100watts; it will just blow up the 2x12.
so it wouldn't be good to add a 100watt later after the 2X12, if i don't have the money, cause i'm kinda struggling for the head as of now, or would it be better once i get the 100watt just to sell the old little one?

because i really don't have the money right now for anything too expensive.
O O

___
...and by the way, dude sound systems sound like crap, that's kind of gay. i'm not doing that.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
...and by the way, dude sound systems sound like crap, that's kind of gay. i'm not doing that.

What? Are you stupid? Did you know that just about EVERY pro guitarists stage rig is mic'd?
okay...my bad. sorry

but i'm pretty sure they don't use 15watt amps.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by TheBax
okay...my bad. sorry

but i'm pretty sure they don't use 15watt amps.

No, they use beastly godlike 100w Half/Full Stacks. That doesn't mean you should. Especially for small to medium gigs. >50w Valve = Hearing damage, read the amp sticky.

Edit:

Quote by D Man

As a rule we have for SS:

10-30W: practice on your own.
30-50W: practice with a band or recording.
50 to 100W (or more): Gigs (as much wattage as you ever need)

And for valves:

<20W: practice on your own
20-30W Band practice/Recording
30-50W Gigging.
>50W Hearing damage.

Note there are overlaps because you can use any given wattage of amp at different volumes and for different purposes (!).

Don?t get an amp just for a tremendous wattage. Get one that you like the sound of and suits your needs. And when considering gigs, remember that the largest venues always have a house PA, which you can mike a small amp up through.

Now go try some amps out!

Here you go.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Mar 28, 2008,
yeah..i was thinking about getting a 50watt, but will that ever just become too weak, or will that only be when i get, if, famous enough where the gigs are bigger from me being more famous which results in more money where i'll be able to pay for a bigger one...if.

anyways...what's the biggest gig you can play with a 50???
O O

___
50w of valve will deafen you if you stand too close to it, I'm not kidding. I cranked it once in my room to break the speaker in and there were people complaining at the end of my road about the noise.

EDIT: I reckon (and this is just a guess) that you could play a small football (soccer) ground with a 50w Tube amp. Like a conference team's ground or something. If you're American I don't know what to compare it with.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Mar 28, 2008,
The bigger the gig, the better the PA so you can mic up and not have to worry. Seriously go read a sticky for once.
Dude, I wouldn't even worry about "IF" you get famous or whatever.... By that time your whole band would have upgraded gear.... That's not a relevant question....

A 50 Watt Valve would cover you for most gigs you would anticipate playing anytime soon or later....

100 watts is good just to know that you have that extra "umph" if you need it..

Also, don't knock PA's, good PA's provide the best overall mix levels that you can achieve in a live setting...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by bartdevil_metal
50w of valve will deafen you if you stand too close to it, I'm not kidding. I cranked it once in my room to break the speaker in and there were people complaining at the end of my road about the noise.

EDIT: I reckon (and this is just a guess) that you could play a small football (soccer) ground with a 50w Tube amp. Like a conference team's ground or something. If you're American I don't know what to compare it with.

lol. that's funny, and also impressive, i'm just gonna settle with 50, less money too!

Quote by groovis
The bigger the gig, the better the PA so you can mic up and not have to worry. Seriously go read a sticky for once.

i don't know why i didn't think about that, i'm definately just getting a 50watt now, thanks to all of you. you've been a great help indeed!
O O

___
Even though we did argue in a previous thread I'll give the same exact answer I'd give anyone else;

You honestly don't need 100W. I've gigged with a 50W Peavey combo for a year that I played gigs on about half volume (and we are loudddd). When I was looking to buy my new amp I really didn't want to get a 50w, but I loved the boogie and would never even dare to switch it to 100W (its 50/100w)

And as for your cab question, I would get a 2x12, I always wanted to look awesome with a 4x12 on stage but then I was told to think practical. Hauling that thing, 100 lbs of something you don't want to scratch is really annoying. And the tonal difference will be like nothing..
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Last edited by tr3nt at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by groovis
Oh please! Read a sticky? We're all to friggin' important / cba to read the stickies.

TS. Choose an amp based on what level you need to work well with your drummer, ON STAGE.
Let the PA handle the house.

/thread
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
thanx, and by the way, if you've looked at the other thread, i've made a peace offering with you, i think we got off on the wrong foot. but thanks for helping me, though.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
yeah..i was thinking about getting a 50watt, but will that ever just become too weak, or will that only be when i get, if, famous enough where the gigs are bigger from me being more famous which results in more money where i'll be able to pay for a bigger one...if.

anyways...what's the biggest gig you can play with a 50???

By the time you get famous you can upgrade to a freakin Botique amp instead of a new garbagy marshalll. Personal recommendation would just to go get a Mesa Rectoverb or an F-100... you don't really need a half stack... just saying. But if you do DSL50 is still preety loud. I'm saving for a 100 watter becuase its the only model they make like it... but it has a half power switch thankfully . still 50 watts of hot rodded marshally sound (splawn) versus my other guitarists 18 watts of hot rodded marshally (Ceriatone 18watt head) tones. Haha! still, if you must get a DSL, get the 50, the 100 isnt worth the extra cash (I still think you should look at mesa though...)
wtf is "ampage"?

If you're struggling to afford even the head then trying to put a stack together is daft, just get a combo.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just so you'll know, a 100 watt amp will only be slightly louder than a 50 watt amp. The difference is almost not noticable unless they're sitting side by side. To be twice as loud as a 50 watt amp you'd need a 500 watt amp.