I am a drummer first and foremost and am just learning guitar and writing some songs

I'm not too hot on scales, keys and general theory really at the moment so any help in telling me what scales can be used over the top of this riff to create a solo would be great

any scale that is in A I think.
but do what I do, play just on feeling, no thinking just play and improvise that is ten times better than memorizing scales and stuff
but that is just my opinion
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
wahay

thank god for the total guitar scalebook that came wid this months issue.....its all in A
Quote by noxios
any scale that is in A I think.
but do what I do, play just on feeling, no thinking just play and improvise that is ten times better than memorizing scales and stuff
but that is just my opinion

Ignore this^

"Feeling" is not an inherent property of music, which is structured sound. Theory explains why musical concepts sound the way they do, which will allow you better express yourself with your instrument because you are no longer restricted to trial and error.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Ignore this^

"Feeling" is not an inherent property of music, which is structured sound. Theory explains why musical concepts sound the way they do, which will allow you better express yourself with your instrument because you are no longer restricted to trial and error.

well, it works for me. from time to time I have a wrong note that doesn't sound in the solo or riff but it is all a matter of practise. I don't say that scales and theory are bull**** but I just don't use them. to me it's all a matter of feeling.
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
A dorian
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by noxios
well, it works for me. from time to time I have a wrong note that doesn't sound in the solo or riff but it is all a matter of practise. I don't say that scales and theory are bull**** but I just don't use them. to me it's all a matter of feeling.

Fair enough, but that's not a good thing to say when teaching.
uh, why is it in A minor? I see three sharps: F# C# G#, so isn't it in D?
peanuts and beers
Quote by Infatuation
uh, why is it in A minor? I see three sharps: F# C# G#, so isn't it in D?

There is an A pedal. That is like creating a vamp. It will have A as its tonal center and thus be A dorian.
It seems to use a good bit of chromaticism, almost to the point that it could be considered parallel Amaj and Am.

A B C C# D E F F# G G#

I think that's every note used in it, I might have missed some/misread some.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
It seems to use a good bit of chromaticism, almost to the point that it could be considered parallel Amaj and Am.

A B C C# D E F F# G G#

I think that's every note used in it, I might have missed some/misread some.

Those are accidentals, not chromaticism.
Quote by Avedas
Those are accidentals, not chromaticism.

In music, chromaticism is a compositional technique interspersing the primary diatonic pitches and chords with other pitches of the chromatic scale. These may be unrelated or as secondary pitches.

I would say that since this uses all the notes of both A major and A minor, it wouldn't really be accidentals, since they are both fairly well represented. Granted, I could be wrong, since I don't work so much with sheet music and the like, but chromaticism makes sense to me in this context.

Edit - According to Wiki, this would be considered a case of mode mixture, which is defined as a form of chromaticism. Anyone who can clarify this, I'd love to hear it. I come here to learn.
Quote by dudetheman

Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Mar 29, 2008,
The C#, F# and G# say A Major, however, the C, F and G says A Minor.

It's an interesting riff. Might put it into guitar pro to see how it sounds.

Is it definately tuned in standard?
Of the notes that don't occur in A minor each one is either played together with A or one of the strongest tones in the scale, they'll add some unresolved tension and dissonance to things but it's still very firmly rooted in A minor to my ears.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by colohue
The C#, F# and G# say A Major, however, the C, F and G says A Minor.

It's an interesting riff. Might put it into guitar pro to see how it sounds.

Is it definately tuned in standard?

No, it's drop D. If you look at the power chord on the 7th fret, it's an A (check the notation).
Quote by dudetheman