Page 3 of 24
Quote by hendriko
^that is true...thats why im planning on making a 212 for the champ (once it works properly without rattlingbuzzinfuzzing) with a ceramic an an alnico speaker
What speakers are you thinking of for it?

^ I'd gun for a pair of Classic Leads if possible, the V30 is a bit harsh for the Bluesy stuff and the Classic Lead is basically a higher-power G12H with a slight bit more cut for modern stuff also
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
probably a weber alnico blue clone and for the ceramic im not sure yet...something 15wattish i think...like the blue...

its gonna be switchable though...like the input...you can (or hopefully can, once i figure out how) select either ceramic only or alnico only or both

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Good thread.

I've got two G12T-75's laying around that I don't need. Any idea of what I should do with them? How much would they go for, used?
Great thread

I'm probably going to be replacing the speaker in my Classic 30 within the next few days. It's tax time and I got 1099'd this year for my band so now I can go buy a crapload of gear and write it off (like I needed it...)

Anyway, thanks for all the awesome info and reviews.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Hendriko: See what you can do with a rotary switch and a pair of input jacks, I'm sure it's possible.

the.spine.surfs: , and assuming they go (in the UK) for something like £40 new each, and I'm not sure on ther American price, you may be able to fetch 70% of that on eBay perhaps.

^ Get a G12H! I just got one for my Laney VC30 - a similar amp to the Classic 30 - and it's joyous. Big fat bass, singing mids and smooth treble
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Sweet, thanks. I'll ask $120 for both.

The other two are going into my almost-completed 2x12"!
Sweet.

How's the amp modding faring up?
Not bad. I've got most of my order from Mouser set up (I just need turrets, now) so I'm getting close. Just need to cut up some spare plexiglass I found, order a new speaker, save up a little more cash for a new OT...alright, I'm a month away from actual assembly. Look for a thread in GB&C, though.
^ Cool.

I'm wondering what my next project will be. The 'space-charge' Tube stuff has gotten me mighty interested, so you might see me making a 9V-powered microscopic tube amp in the future
Hey Carrot, where did you get your new speaker from? Looking at Celestion G10 Greenbacks for the Laney, anyone here have any experience with them?
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
I know this isn't a "traditional" speaker to use, but I was wondering if a Peavey 12" Scorpion is a good quality speaker. I'm not really looking for a specific tone right now, I just have these speakers laying around and want to know if they won't hinder the sound of a JSX Head.

Thanks.
i have i fender HRD. i play mostly blues and jazz. i like a big pretty clean warm sound from m y strat. whats recommended?
Quote by -Rane-
I know this isn't a "traditional" speaker to use, but I was wondering if a Peavey 12" Scorpion is a good quality speaker. I'm not really looking for a specific tone right now, I just have these speakers laying around and want to know if they won't hinder the sound of a JSX Head.

Thanks.
Do you have any links to datasheets, PDF files or specs of the speaker? That'd help us to help you
Quote by chea_man
i have i fender HRD. i play mostly blues and jazz. i like a big pretty clean warm sound from m y strat. whats recommended?
Some kind of Eminence Patriot, perhaps a Swamp Thang. They have big, round powerful bass and American tonality.
Im looking to buy a Carvin V3 head and probably will get an Avatar cab. What speaker(s) would be best to complement the V3. I play alot of metal but i like to vary my sound alot from br00talz death metal to melodeath to some soft bluesy stuff to vai sounding stuff, which is why i chose the V3 for its multiple channels and for being very versatile. I will be getting a 2x12 cab
^^ I answered your question at the top of this page.

^ They look to be bass drivers, so the frequency range doesn't really extend high enough into the treble for guitar. They probably would 'hinder' your JSX, I'm afraid. They'd probably be excellent for bass, though.
Last edited by MrCarrot at Apr 3, 2008,
What do you guys think of a Veteran 30 and Reaper (from Warehouse Speakers) for metal? I'd also play some bluesy stuff now and then but not as much as metal.
Quote by MrCarrot
Hendriko: See what you can do with a rotary switch and a pair of input jacks, I'm sure it's possible.

yea, thast what ive been thinking...ill see, this is just speculation as of now

any recommendations for the ceramic speaker though? anything around 15w if possible...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
yea, thast what ive been thinking...ill see, this is just speculation as of now

any recommendations for the ceramic speaker though? anything around 15w if possible...
Well I would say Weber but they have ridiculous shipping, something like $100 for a 12" to Europe...

Greenbacks are always nice
^that indeed sounds really nice...ill see

actually, for blues, 212 vintage combo, all there is recommended by celestion is the alnico blue and the green back
and they both sound great

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Haha, yeah.

I'd go for the Greenback personally, if only for the fact that Greenbacks is the cost of 1 Blue

BTW everybody, got my G12H yesterday, and it absolutely lives up to its reputation. Smooth Treble, Warm, sweet Mids and fat round bass. Perfect.
Quote by MrCarrot

^ Get a G12H! I just got one for my Laney VC30 - a similar amp to the Classic 30 - and it's joyous. Big fat bass, singing mids and smooth treble

That sounds like what I'm looking for. Warehouse Speakers has a clone of it too. What's the general consensus here about that company? They're cheap but not really cheap enough to try for the hell of it. I have heard good things but not many people (that I know of) have tried them.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Quote by Chaosinborn
Im looking to buy a Carvin V3 head and probably will get an Avatar cab. What speaker(s) would be best to complement the V3. I play alot of metal but i like to vary my sound alot from br00talz death metal to melodeath to some soft bluesy stuff to vai sounding stuff, which is why i chose the V3 for its multiple channels and for being very versatile. I will be getting a 2x12 cab

Personally, I'd go with two Classic Leads. They're more transparent than most Celestians, and with the V3's rather bountiful tonality, it might be best to get your tone from the amp, and not really tweak it too much with the speakers. Past that, the V30 is kind of an industry standard for metal.
^ They look to be bass drivers, so the frequency range doesn't really extend high enough into the treble for guitar. They probably would 'hinder' your JSX, I'm afraid. They'd probably be excellent for bass, though.

Yeah the divers he linked to are subwoofers, but peavey did install a form of that driver in guitar combos back in the mid-late 80's-very early 90's. They also used them as loud speakers in some of thier PA stuff, they fased them out in guitar cabs with the introduction of the Blue Marvels and Shefields. I really don't know how they sound, I'm sure its fairly decnt, but nothing spectacular since they are basically PA drivers. I personally steer clear of them because they weigh a ton!! Here a link to the 10 guitar speaker, http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=45587
400 watts program, holy cow, I dont think they will blow any time soon.
Ok, Speaker Thread, there's a question. Is there any way to wire a 2x12" cab with 8 ohm speakers in such a way that it will be 8 ohms? If not, should I go with wiring it for 4, or 16?
^Know, it will ethier be 4 or 16 ohm, and for which impedance to go with depends on your amp.
So if I have an amp with only 8 ohm outs...oh, here's an idea. My amp has two 8 ohm outs. Could I just wire the cab with two mono jacks? Perhaps with a switch to go from dual mono, or parallel opperation?
^ unless its a two channel amp that would be a four Ohm load. Is it a tube amp or soild state? If SS then you could run it in a series to get a 16ohm load, but that will cut your SS amp power in half, a 100 watt would trun to a 50-75 watt amp depending on the amp. If its tube I would conslute the manufacture, some tube amp are not as picky as others when it come to impedance, but some are. If its tube amp runing anything beside what listed on the amp, without consulting the manufacture could result in output transformer damge.
What do you think of 2 celestion classic leads and 2 G12H in my Laney 4x12? I play shred and rock or plain clean
Quote by Horlicks
What do you think of 2 celestion classic leads and 2 G12H in my Laney 4x12? I play shred and rock or plain clean
Sounds like an excellent choice to me.
So does anyone here own or have any experience with the Eminence Private Jack? Some people on other forums were describing it as a Greenback except its more open and has a little more range to it which appeals to me a lot. I'm replacing the V30 (the biggest mistake of my rig) in my Avatar cab. Tired of the chainsaw buzziness

This will be for a VJ and a future Supro btw, just want a good speaker for classic rock and blues without having an ice pick in my ear.
Well the Private Jack could be a good idea. But the bad thing is that it was fairly high wattage and therefore headroom.

I can though HIGHLY recommend the Celestion G12H30. It's no ice-picky by any chance, instead very open and fat. It's the speaker for 70's rock and IMO it sounds more Jimmy Page than the Greenback. You could get the Hellatone 30, which is a Celestion that's rebranded and cheaper.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Yeah after I read your comment about speaker ratings it made me think twice about the PJ. I guess a bit of speaker breakup is a good thing then? What would a low wattage amp into a high wattage speaker sound like... dull and bland? I'm new to the speaker thing

I'll take a look at the G12H30 then, open and fat is exactly what I'm looking for!

well maybe not dull and bland, but don't expect breakup. In your case you want some breakup, so a lower wattage one might be a good idea.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Well speaker breakup is hard to describe, but with the H30 you will understand when you hear it.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band