I am just wondering: Since a good 40w tube amp is not that much costly then some 15w tube amps, why don't people just get a 40w and use an attenuator (aside from the fact an actual attenuator cost 200 while a in wall volume control may not work)?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Attenuator's aren't perfect and don't give the exact sound of power tube overdrive.

Also they all suck tone.
Quote by iamtompublic
Attenuator's aren't perfect and don't give the exact sound of power tube overdrive.

Also they all suck tone.

Agreed. another reason they won't give that tone as it won't move the same amount of air. A high end unit like a Dr Z may not suck your tone per se, but it will sure change it
Quote by Jestersage
I am just wondering: Since a good 40w tube amp is not that much costly then some 15w tube amps, why don't people just get a 40w and use an attenuator (aside from the fact an actual attenuator cost 200 while a in wall volume control may not work)?

Because an attenuator will always suck tone and with a lot of attenuation you get a very muddy sound. Secondly a power amp being pushed straight will overdrive and push the speaker harder, resulting in speaker distortion, which is often a big part (this can be achieved with very low levels of attenuation on many amps). And most importantly, if you don't need headroom, why get an amp with a lot of headroom? Basically a 40 or 50 watt amp will have quite some headroom, overdriving when being over half the volume. A lot of small tube amp (espeically vintage ones, such as the Fender Tweed Deluxe or Marshall 18watter) have VERY low headroom and can pushed into overdrive before even being at half volume. Also a 40 or 50 watt amp will weight MUCH more compared to a 15 watt one. Plus the price of an attenuator and a 50 watt tube amp will be much more than just a 15 watt tube amp.

Last but not least, a cheap 50 watt amp will sound way inferior to a 15 watt amp for the same price. Compare a Valveking with a Blues Jr. The BJ has much better tone, since it's a more expensive 15 watt amp, while the Valveking is a budget 50 watt amp.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Because an attenuator will always suck tone and with a lot of attenuation you get a very muddy sound. Secondly a power amp being pushed straight will overdrive and push the speaker harder, resulting in speaker distortion, which is often a big part (this can be achieved with very low levels of attenuation on many amps). And most importantly, if you don't need headroom, why get an amp with a lot of headroom? Basically a 40 or 50 watt amp will have quite some headroom, overdriving when being over half the volume. A lot of small tube amp (espeically vintage ones, such as the Fender Tweed Deluxe or Marshall 18watter) have VERY low headroom and can pushed into overdrive before even being at half volume. Also a 40 or 50 watt amp will weight MUCH more compared to a 15 watt one. Plus the price of an attenuator and a 50 watt tube amp will be much more than just a 15 watt tube amp.

Last but not least, a cheap 50 watt amp will sound way inferior to a 15 watt amp for the same price. Compare a Valveking with a Blues Jr. The BJ has much better tone, since it's a more expensive 15 watt amp, while the Valveking is a budget 50 watt amp.

Might be worth mentioning that the last paragraph only applies to brand new amps, due to bargains you can get and whatnot.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Yes, but generally most 15 watt amps (spare handwired an boutique) are generally in the pricerange $600 and below. For $600 the 50 watt tube amps in that range are considered budget ones and are genrally inferior compared to said 15 watt tube amps.

Also while there isn't THAT much of a volume difference, the headroom is VERY VERY different. You could crank a 15 watt tube amp without causing too much of a wreck on say a gig or band practice, while not even attempting to get at half volume with a 50 watt one.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I don't think you quite got it. Say, for the price of a new blues jr, you could pick up a used higher wattage amp which would suit you better or be just as good.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^Yes, but if you want that cranked up tone and don't need the headroom, the Blues Jr is a better idea. I have an Orange Rocker 30, still I got a low wattage amp, why? Because most of the times we play at practice I can't run my R30 that loud and it's very heavy to lug around. Hence I got a smaller amp that had less headroom, since I wanted the cranked up tone.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

My power amp has built in attenuation and I feel that when it's on the sound isn't as dynamic.
Almost like its being squashed down or something.
Its great for quieter practicing.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by timi_hendrix
I wasn't talking about anything except the last paragraph where you mentioned price.

Yeah, but my point was of course with new amps. But for the priced of a used Blues Jr, you couldn't even pick up a 50 watter!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Thanks Gabel... I feel a lot better.

I am still somewhat lamenting that I cannot purchase a 40watt YCV40 because I bought the Blues Junior two days before the posting occured. Both are used, and are $300.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Well the YCV40 is a better amp IMO, but you will just have a little harder time to get powertube drive out of it. I still prefer the overdrive of it over the Blues Jr. and the cleans are pretty close. Plus, $300 for a YCV40 is a steal. Jump on it even if you don't like it and you could easily sell it and make a profit!
they suck summit, be it your tone or your money.
best signature ever
Hello my name is fleh and I just revived a dead thread for no apperent reason. After this point no other user should post, because reviving threads like these that have been dead for so long, is just pointless. They are dead for a REASON. If the TS would revive the thread, that is ok, but another user, no don't do it.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band