Hi, I have a friend who plays bass and he asked me to post and ask what bass he should get since I don't know much about basses besides the P-Basses (I'm a guitarist and I play an Archer bass when I do play bass).

He doesn't know what type of music he plays. He's been playing for two years and the hardest thing he can play is Higher Ground, but mostly he plays stuff like the Indiana Jones theme song and Mission Impossible. He only recently started to get into it and I said he should wait a while, but he says that he needs a new bass so that he can play slap bass. He says at most he could pay $600-$800.

Oh and don't say I'm an idiot for telling him to spend so much money when he's only starting to get into bass and can only play easy stuff. I tried to convince him not to get one. He's gonna read these posts so just speak directly to him, don't tell me to tell him what he should get.

His bass now is the one that came with the Squier Pack.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
i have that squier p bass. i can easily slap on it, so he has no clue what he's talking about. i also have an american p bass. sure, it makes it easier, but it's $1000 so it better be easier.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
i started with one of the squier P-basses, then i got an MIM fender jazz and i'd recommend it to anyone, not sure on american price but i'd probably be in about that range.
I started off playing a short-scale Danelectro Longhorn bass. Six months after I started I got a used Geddy Lee Jazz bass for $550 on ebay. I like it a lot.

I find it harder to slap on basses with raised pickups. My brother has a Schechter bass (Damien-4, I think) that has EMG HZ pickups, and I can't pop on it because I have to be precise with where I put my fingers.

I would try stringing your current bass with lighter-gauge strings. Those are easier to get your hands on and work great for slapping and popping.
If you are a begginer and want to get a new bass You should probably get a Fender MIM(Made In Mexico) Jazz bass.It's good to slap on and alot of other things.This bass should last you a couple of years too.Since this bass is a little below his price range I'd suggest you spend the extra money on a Badass bridge .
Ps. Badass is a bridge name, not sayin else.

Edit: WAIT! I dont know what Im talking about listen to ATB.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Mar 29, 2008,
Just checking, but have you upgraded your amp yet? It's more important to have a good amp than a good bass when you start out. Good bass through shiz amp is shiz, but a shiz bass through a good amp is decent a worst.

But to address the question, don't spend a massive amount on a second bass. Don't take offense to this but your not exactly at the intermediate skill level judging from your friend's description. If you absolutely feel the need to upgrade, upgrade your amp first. Bass wise for you, I'd say get a Ibanez SR400QM Soundgear or Spector Performer 4 Classic. Note that these recommendations are without knowing your price range after an amp, your playing style, or aimed sound.

G'luck and hope that helps. Feel free to ask anything else.

- AboveTheBridge (ATB)
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by AboveTheBridge
Just checking, but have you upgraded your amp yet? It's more important to have a good amp than a good bass when you start out. Good bass through shiz amp is shiz, but a shiz bass through a good amp is decent a worst.

But to address the question, don't spend a massive amount on a second bass. Don't take offense to this but your not exactly at the intermediate skill level judging from your friend's description. If you absolutely feel the need to upgrade, upgrade your amp first. Bass wise for you, I'd say get a Ibanez SR400QM Soundgear or Spector Performer 4 Classic. Note that these recommendations are without knowing your price range after an amp, your playing style, or aimed sound.

G'luck and hope that helps. Feel free to ask anything else.

- AboveTheBridge (ATB)

I'll have to see what he thinks of the amp. I think we wants better action instead of a better tone though.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage