Ok, so I'm a bass player at heart I started out on bass, and thats really where my roots lie, but I've been dabling around on a guitar for about 5 months now, I've transposed all my knowledge of bass guitar onto guitar, and as of right now, I'm not awful. My picking is what need the most working, I played bass with my fingers, so I'm kinda adjusting to the pick. One thing with the guitar is whenever I run through my scales or improvise, I kinda get that over tone from the last string I played. Again with bass, everyone pretty much knows that when you switch to a different string one of your fingers mutes the string you just played. So basically to end this short novel I wrote here, is there specific technique with the pick that used to mute strings or there an alternative way. I know it's kinda a newbie question, but I am a newbie, so any help would be appreciated.
Lulz at the short novel bit. Eventually, you'll find your left hand fingers that aren't in use will mute the strings by themselves. It comes with practice, I know it used to frustrate the hell out of me. Make sure your picking hand isn't brushing against any strings too.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice, I figured it would pretty much boil down to practice, everything usually does. Anyways, so basically your left hand is responsible for muting the string as opposed to stopping it with your pick?
You have to learn to mute with your fingers. Its one of those things people just starting out realize they need to do and their like "O noez!!! Mai gitar Be maykin noyzez I didnt tell it to make!!" Basically, it sucks. It takes time, and when you get to the really fast stuff, it takes more effort then you can imagine...

---------------------------
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Dunlop Crybaby Original Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.
---------------------------
I'm a bass to guitar convert, I don't use a pick when playing guitar, I use my fingernail as if it were a pick. Awkward I know, but it works alot better for me.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
"O noez!!! Mai gitar Be maykin noyzez I didnt tell it to make!!"

You know, I think I said something along the lines of that exact phrase. But again thanks, I'm down for any advice I can get, like I said what I've gather so far is that your left hand or fretting hand it responsible for muting your strings, which is good to know because I was trying all different type of ways to angle my picking hand to mute strings.
i went from bass to guitar and my picking just sounded sloppy. it wasn't so much keeping the strings quite it was just that i was so used to using my fingers the pick just felt awkward to me.
Quote by Doodleface
I'm a bass to guitar convert, I don't use a pick when playing guitar, I use my fingernail as if it were a pick. Awkward I know, but it works alot better for me.

As much as I play, I wouldn't have any fingernail left if I did that. How do you do when you're playing fast riffs and solos?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.