Is there an optimum way to hold the guitar
i.e. waist level, between waist and ribcage etc.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Technically, I think, your right elbow should be at a right-angle when you're playing.
Whatever feels most comfortable to you?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Whatever is most comfortable for you.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...

If its comfortable like that try it
Ibanez RG350DX - ESP LTD EC-500

Peavey JSX 212 Combo - Digitech RP 250
Wherever it's comfortable and doesn't affect your playing negatively...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Generally, not too low.

Waist level or above.

If its much lower you have a good chance of hurting your wrists....and neck, back and shoulders for that matter.

However, it's all personal preference.

for some people, that just works for them.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Whatever you want.

James Hetfields guitar is under his waist +
Maybe he got long arms
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Yeah, it's all preference. It also depends on what feels right for the style. I play mine with the body at my waist for rock, and for jazz I bring the body up to my chest.
my guitar hangs at waist level as well.

its probably not optimum but it looks cooler than that guy in the picture above me.
When it's low, it's harder to shred, hurts your wrist, and hinders your playing performance. The upside is that with it lower, it REALLY helps your left shoulder muscle or w/e, for real.

When it's high, it's easier to shred, full wrist control, and lets you play comfortably. The downside is that with your guitar fairly high, puts alot of stress on your left shoulder muscle or w/e, for real.

I have an Epiphone SG, and I tested it. With it hanging low (top edge right under me nuts) I could play for hours without my left shoulder aching. With it hanging high, even playing the first song would make my left shoulder ache.

But to be honest, it shouldn't matter how low or how high your guitar is. As long as it isn't choking you, and as long as it isn't on the ground, it's all good.
Quote by sektor47
When it's low, it's harder to shred, hurts your wrist, and hinders your playing performance. The upside is that with it lower, it REALLY helps your left shoulder muscle or w/e, for real.

When it's high, it's easier to shred, full wrist control, and lets you play comfortably. The downside is that with your guitar fairly high, puts alot of stress on your left shoulder muscle or w/e, for real.

I have an Epiphone SG, and I tested it. With it hanging low (top edge right under me nuts) I could play for hours without my left shoulder aching. With it hanging high, even playing the first song would make my left shoulder ache.

But to be honest, it shouldn't matter how low or how high your guitar is. As long as it isn't choking you, and as long as it isn't on the ground, it's all good.

For real?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
comfort and playability

Some guitarist have stretchy straps so they can raise and lower the guitar as they play.

Generally though, people hang it lower than they should to look cool....
Quote by guitarist10
Is there an optimum way to hold the guitar
i.e. waist level, between waist and ribcage etc.
A lot of people will flame me for this I'm sure, But do what's best for you and hold it your way.

Who knows maybe you could start a trend.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
personally i have the bridge at the same height as my the middle of my jean pocket, with the neck tilted up, acoustics should be e bit higher.
I adjust the strap so the neck pickup is over my belly buttton, but you should put it where you like it.
Quote by hmblm12
my guitar hangs at waist level as well.

its probably not optimum but it looks cooler than that guy in the picture above me.

it's so sad that you don't know who that is
and it's unfortunate because that guy is a lot cooler than most guitarist on UG
Quote by kai29
it's so sad that you don't know who that is
and it's unfortunate because that guy is a lot cooler than most guitarist on UG

very true.

On topic, wherever is comftable. Mine is similar to Tom's
Quote by N1ck0

If its comfortable like that try it

How the heck is Tom avaible to get his hand over the guitar?
I think it's stupid when people put thier guitar down to their waist to look cool.

I'll keep it at my ribcage and look cooler by playing better.
lol at the guy on youtube....He´s face gets a new scar everytime a string snaps on his guitar

I shouldnt laugh he probably plays better than most of us....

On Topic: play wherever its comfortable...you may also need different positions for different styles....
I used to have my guitar below my waist and I was playing fine, but I was told by a seasoned veteran of the guitar world that having your wrist arched in that weird position can eventually lead to tendonitis and stuff like that
Quote by sektor47

But to be honest, it shouldn't matter how low or how high your guitar is. As long as it isn't choking you, and as long as it isn't on the ground , it's all good.

thats not always true