harmonic/melodic?

ascending/decending?

i know what the scales ARE but what is their purpose?
the harmonic minor was created in order to have a minor key that would have a leading tone, or #7, in order to create more of a pull to the tonic and make the dominant chord a dominant seventh.
Due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
you use them wiht a progression that uses the same intervals and notes

an A minor progression would be :

Aminor Cmaj Gmaj Fmaj for example

this progression resolves to A so it is key with Aminor and thus we would use the the Aminor scale.

if you notice every chord has the notes from Amin scale and there for this progression.

if you where to play a solo you would use one of these scales for it and that scale will be based off of the notes that make up the cords.

what ever cord the song resolves to is the key and will be the root

sorry if this is explained poorly i have trouble teaching
song stuck in my head today

well that makes sense, why is there ascending/decending in melodic minor then?

and.. i know how to use scales, its why there are 3 different variations of minor.
is what i said help you at all or did you already know that and wanted an answer like what he said

i always get confused on what someone is asking so that is why i ask?
song stuck in my head today

what i understood, not really.

i dont get completely how people use ascending/decending, i know its going up and down the scale but.. eh maybe if someone has some links to (ascii) tabs showing them being used.
Quote by lordflaron
the harmonic minor was created in order to have a minor key that would have a leading tone, or #7, in order to create more of a pull to the tonic and make the dominant chord a dominant seventh.
It would be called 7, not #7.

The melodic minor was played different ascending because the b6 pulls towards the 5. The gap between the 7 and b6 sounded awkward, so it was changed to b7. However, in modern music, the scale is genereally played the same up and down, 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7.