... you could play an entire song with decent timing, rythem, and with few if any mistakes? AND what was the song?

I know bits and peices of many songs, some chord parts, mostly little solos or intros though. and my chord songs are terrible. been playing 1.5 months. I've been working on "wish you were here", I can play the intro pretty decent, and am learning the solo and chords right now been working on it for a month and a half.
depends on the difficulty of the song, took me like 2 weeks to learn paranoid except for the solo
If we're not counting stuff like Mary had a little lamb and stuff like that from my first guitar book . I guess... Californication by RHCP after a few months. Dunno, I never really looked at songs to play when I started since I figured I needed more practice. Then after like 4 months I realised a lot of these songs are actually very easy.
Rockin' the Gibson SG Standard Cherry!
More than a decade and I'm still not there. I would estimate at least two years before you can really play songs with a high degree of confidence.
i dunno, in my opinion it depends on a few things 1. dedication 2. learning methods (good technique etc) 3. goals 4. songs you want to play etc etc etc. and it varys for each person. my friend and i started playing basically at the same time, almost 2 years ago. whereas he screwed around and didn't really want to learn advanced chords or scales or theory and didnt practice, he hasnt made it far. he still only plays a few basic like E minor and A minor chords etc., and doenst play many if any songs. definetly cant do it without screwing up at least once. BUT he writes his own music and melodies just by screwing around and is happy....on the otherhand i put alot of work into learning and took the time to at least learn the basics of advanced chords scales, worked on lots of songs i knew and wanted to play etc. i was self taught and learnt my first songs about a week or two into playing.
johnny cash - dark as a dungeon
queen - pretty little thing called love
pearl jam - who you are
im about 2 years into playing now and can play almost every pearl jam song, various tool songs, rage against the machine, alice in chains etc. i also have a good knowledge of scales, theory and know a ton of jazz, blues chords etc.
so its how much effort you put into it man, from my experience anyways. best of luck!

EDIT: btw i realize this is the acoustic forum. i soley play acoustic, even the metal stuff.
Last edited by -Ryan- at Mar 28, 2008,
Tears in Heaven, entire song, +2nd guitar: about 5 weeks.
I know exactly what I think I'm doing.
Quote by Wiggly
wow 2 years is a long time...

I didn't mean to discourage you by the length of time. What I meant was that in two years you could be a pretty solid player, capable of getting through most songs pretty comfortably. If you just want to be able to strum through a couple simple tunes and whatnot, a few weeks of daily practice will be all you need.
everlong, took me my first month of playing to get it right, then 2 weeks to figure how to mix 2 versions to make mine sound different.

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
It took me a long time. At my 6 month mark, I probably knew 100 riffs/solos/parts, but maybe 5 entire songs, and they were mainly just open chord strummers.

Now I'm at 11 months. I'm more focused on acoustic, so I don't have the distraction of playing electric, acoustic, and bass. Also, my learning routines have changed for the better. Once I pick a song, I stay with it until I learn it fully. So I finally know some songs that I can be proud of, like Tears In Heaven, Nothing Else Matters, etc. And I'm learning Stairway right now, much to the bane of most people's existance. LOL.

I'm self taught. You will progress much faster than I if you get lessons.

BTW, that 2 years thing was off... I could do a full acoustic gig right now and not even use half of the songs I know. He must be learning really intricate stuff to not feel confident until the 2 year mark.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

GC Shred Off Is about right with the 2 years. Most guitarists say that at the 2 year mark (approx) they found something happens , that they find they are at a major plato in their playing then all of a sudden (with continued practice) something kicks in & it all clicks then you can move foward & learn how to play well with ease & accuracy. The relaxed style of a player who is doing it easy instead of feeling all the time your just keeping up.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
It's hard to say. Most of the songs I play are open chord strummers and I've been playing for awhile. **** by Johnny Cash, Hendrix, I like to mess around wtih that. I've learned a decent amount of scales and what not too. I don't really try to focus on learning a song unless I really think it's necessary to improve my own song writing skills. Most of the best songs in my opinion are simple songs, usually open chord strummers.
The times they are a changin'.....
Quote by Dix_Fix
GC Shred Off Is about right with the 2 years. Most guitarists say that at the 2 year mark (approx) they found something happens , that they find they are at a major plato in their playing then all of a sudden (with continued practice) something kicks in & it all clicks then you can move foward & learn how to play well with ease & accuracy. The relaxed style of a player who is doing it easy instead of feeling all the time your just keeping up.

Agreed, I've been playing about 3 years and around 2 I really felt there was a jump in my playing. I couldn't say I started a complete n00b because I already played violin for a long time but it took me a good while to feel I was able to say: "hey, I can play something on this and I'm not too bad at all".

The problem is that sooner or later you always seem to hit a deadspot where you feel like you aren't learning anything and that you should have started playing the guitar. I guess that's the time when you discover whether you really want to play or not, or if you'll just sit around strumming the same old pattern over and over again. Hopefully I'll get over it if it happens and keep playing...

Good luck with guitaring TS.