This decade's music has been the least rebellious or majorly shifting

Just look at the transitions from 40s onward.

40s: swing, bluegrass, country, blues,

50s: rock n roll was the start of "teen rebellion", performers liek Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard were "wild"

60s: psychadelic rock with it's free love and drugs, soul music was starting to get politically charged, Beatles and all the mop top bands, start of heavy metal, folk music is politically charged

70s: heavy metal hits big time and older generation like those who grew up with Elvis are turned off, punk music goes against everything and is most rebellious and harsh music yet, funk and disco really bring sexuality to main culture in music, beginnings of rap music

80s: new wave music is too artsy and just weird, rap starts hitting it's stride, metal and punk gets even more loud, fast, and bawdy, pop stars like Jackson an Madonna bring a totally new type of pop star to forefront, alternative rock gains significance on college radio

90s: grunge totally shifts rock music back to dirty and depressing feel, gangsta rap is most extreme music to ever hit mainstream and all kinds of parents and older people fear it, metal goes extreme in the form of death and black metal, electronica and dance music turns more older crowd's ears awat with it's "unhuman" sound. Start of industrial and nu-metal which cause another backlash.

00s: ummm, rap becomes glamorous and has already settled into main culture, Pop stars like Timberlake and Spears are basically Jackson and Madonna in new forms and more hip hop style music, modern rock is filled with acts sounding like 90s bands, indie rock is mellow and reverts to retro music and even draws in the older generations, really only new major things that have really caused a backlash is emo music and whatever screams.

Although music from this decade is just as good as anything else, it seems it's been pushed from mainstream culture and taken a backseat with other stuff.
Because rap is in no way rebellious?

Just saying, Rock isn't the only music out there.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
music doesnt have to be all rebellious or shifting or whatever you think it should be.
just listen to it. thats all there is to it.
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Is not being rebellious a bad thing?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
zah?
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Just shuttup.
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
I never said that rap isn't rebellious. But look at the stuff in the 90s and compare it to this decade. Rap was really rebellious and violent in 90s, but now the mainstream is more like a joke. Not saying anything bad about the music, but it's become less shocking.
it a cycle if u havent realized music was getting little to no attention in the early 40s,50s,60s,70,80, and 90s, but by the end of each decade the bands hitthe sweet spot and pt music in the mainstream again at least as far as they can go that is,music has never really gotten full blown mainstream but its ben there at different levels depending on the main cultures feeling on the world at the moment
the reason they dont pick up speed till the end is because when a new decade starts every is still doing what was popular the decade before killing that genre when the new one comes
maybe you could try finding "rebelious" music revolutions outside of your box of vh1, mtv, and rolling stone magazine?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Modern music has shaped our whole generation. Music has told us if we ever have a problem with something, all we gotta do is Superman dat 'ho..
just to make things clear, I meant this post to mean stuff in the mainstream or at least bubbling under the mainstream. And not once did I say music has to be rebellious or anything to good.
I always considered hip hop pretty rebelious, not only musically, but as well in it's lifestyle and attitude towards anything.

Nowadays musicians are rebelious through drug abuse and improper behaviour. Not like people in earlier decades didn't do that though. It's just what's left when it comes to rock music nowadays. The music isn't anymore. I believe that's because "the rebel rocker" has become a romantic cliche - a cliche is defined as something utterly normal, accepted and common, thus not being rebelious anymore.
I hope that made any sense. I don't feel like being a rebel anyway.
So, what are you saying?

The 2000s have lacked in rebellious music?

Or are you saying 2000s music has lacked in innovation?

Either way you sound like you don't know a lot about what you're talking about.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
There needs to be a status quo before anythng can rebel. Like you said, during the 60's, 70's, 80',s etc., mainstream music began rebelling against the accepted traditions. Now the attitudes and ideals put forward by the kinds of music that have developed in recent years have become the accepted as the status quo, meaning it has nothing left to rebel against. The music that was once "rebellious" has become the accepted norm, which means you're looking for rebellious music in the wrong places.

Have a nice day.
Well considering how we'd be rebelling against the generations that started the entire rebellious trend, we'd have to do some really crazy **** for it to be dubbed "rebellious"

Just saying, it was a lot easier for them to be rebels back then. It's just the change in times and the fact people as a whole are much more liberal and open minded to things nowadays. I mean, if you tried to show some of this generations stuff to people from the fifties (mind you, the ones born around 1900) they would think we were the devil incarnate.

Just a difference in standards, man.
Quote by GrEgUms1991
Omg, why cant you people realise that times are changin!?

Damn it, I was going to say that .
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
It's too early to tell.

You can't look back on a decade that isn't even finished yet. I'm sure if you were in the same position ten years from now, you'd be able to say something equitable about the 00's.
I believe that's because "the rebel rocker" has become a romantic cliche - a cliche is defined as something utterly normal, accepted and common, thus not being rebelious anymore.
I hope that made any sense. I don't feel like being a rebel anyway.

Very good point. I was just pointing out what's happening with music. And now the blinged out gangstas are cliche as well. I really think something new will come in the next decade that's like an evolution of hip-hop/electronica/rock the same way blues evolved into rock which will turn away people who grew up with hip-hop, metal, rock.
Quote by electr8r

00s: ummm, rap becomes glamorous and has already settled into main culture, Pop stars like Timberlake and Spears are basically Jackson and Madonna in new forms and more hip hop style music, modern rock is filled with acts sounding like 90s bands, indie rock is mellow and reverts to retro music and even draws in the older generations, really only new major things that have really caused a backlash is emo music and whatever screams.

...Because none of the other decades were just re-hashes of the last decade with something new tossed in...
Quote by Pertenozzo
Damn it, I was going to say that .

Go on, i wont mind. And as they say, great minds think alike

lol

You're right, 50 cent is just a watered down version of public enemy. Green Day is just watered down Sex Pistols or w/e. For once the music is less extreme than what your parents listened to
Quote by archangels666
...Because none of the other decades were just re-hashes of the last decade with something new tossed in...

We all know 80's hairmetal was just 70's glam rock with mascara and lipgloss: Hey presto! Poison!
You seem to compare the underground stuff of the previous decades with the mainstream music of today, which makes no sense. I do think that many more genres have become more socially acceptable - hip-hop and metal especially - and that we're "running out of" genres, though.
I'm a communist. Really.
I dislike this thread.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...