Page 1 of 3
Ok, I need a answer quickly, I have two Gibson Les Pauls one is a 2002/1957 Goldtop reissue and one is a 2007/1958 Sunburst Reissue. I am not happy with the Gibson pickups that are currently in them, I am going to change them to DiMarzio's and I need to know if I need to get F-Spaced or Standard Spaced? I am interested in getting DiMarzio Air Classic Humbuckers which are said to be made just like original P-A-F Humbuckers so those are what I am thinking about getting, F-Spaced or Standard Spaced?

Both Gibson Les Pauls still have a tune-o-matic bridge on them.

-Benguitar

Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Last edited by Benguitar2 at Mar 28, 2008,
standard. f-space is for tremolos such as a floyd rose

edit: id also try putting different pups in each one just to have some variety
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Ok thank you! I will post pictures when I get them put in!
Quote by bemiswins

you should try paf classics in one and then the air classics in the other, another cool pick up you could try out is a bluesbucker whichis like a p90 kinda ( idk just read about it today so no idea how it sounds )
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
i love people who can admit they dont like gibson sounds

id reccomend the antiquity series from duncan, great PAF tone
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
fosho I love Gibson guitars, and I love their tone. But I have noticed that a LOT of the artists I like that play Gibsons have different pickups in them.
I also take it that your are recommending Seymour Duncan's? I was going to get those but the only thing that kept me from choosing those is they don't come in "cream" anymore they only come in black and zebra.

So that is why I am thinking about going with DiMarzio's because they have a good name, great quality and they come in the colors I want.

mercinariesgtr I actually was going to go with the PAF classics but I believe that I read on DiMarzio that the Air classics are the "new" PAF classics because the discontinued the PAF classics in 2007. And YES I did read about the bluesbucker which is said to sound like a P-90, personally the P-90 pickups are NOT my favorite tone, I play music anywhere from Alternative to Hard-rock/Metal. So I am also not sure that a P-90 tone would be best for me.
Quote by bemiswins

honestly think Duncans will suit you better, but I'd personally go for two different sounds...a Custom 5 in the bridge and a 59 in the neck will give you an awesome, ballsy rock guitar, whilst a pair of Pearly Gates will give you more of a a hot-vintage vibe with warmer, slightly sweeter tones from the Alnico 2 magnets but with a tiny bit more output and "sizzle" than you'd expect from a typical vintage tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^^^

Hmm, that is what I thought, but I am pretty sure my father has already ordered the 4 DiMarzio Air Classic's..

I am setting them up like this.

Cream in the bridge position on the Sunburst, and a Black on the neck position on the burst.

A zebra (cream/black) on the bridge on the goldtop and a cream at the neck position.

Quote by bemiswins

Wanna sell any of the Gibson pickups?
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
He asked me to send him the information about the pickups Yesterday and he made me call our guitar workshop to ask them how much it would cost to install them, and I also needed to find out what kind of DiMarzio's and how much they cost.

forsaknazrael I read that DiMarzio built their Air Classics JUST like PAF's they actually discontinued making their PAF Classic Humbuckers and replaced them with the Air Classics. So that it self would make me think that, "DiMarzio has been said to make great pickups with great quality and tone. BUT when they said this:

We love the sound of late 1950s humbuckers, but we didn't want to simply imitate them by using Alnico 2 or "aged" Alnico 5 magnets. Airbucker™ technology was created to capture all of the best sonic qualities of vintage humbuckers while avoiding the technical problems. The Air Classic™ has the same sweet sound as a classic humbucker, but Airbucker™ technology permits us to use a more reliable full-strength Alnico 5 magnet and still reduce string-pull to increase sustain and sensitivity. The result is an almost vocal, three-dimensional sound that jumps off the string faster and stays true as it sustains. The sense of touch and control this provides will offer you an unequalled ability to create your own sound.
Recommended For: Bridge position when combined with Air Classic™ neck model or most single coils, neck position in combination with hotter humbuckers. For all solidbody, hollow and semihollowbody guitars.
Tech Talk: There's no doubt that a weak magnetic field allows a vibrating string to ring longer, but the standard Alnico II/ weakened Alnico 5 method also muddies the tone the longer the string sustains. By contrast, the Airbucker magnetic field preserves high end sustain; it's easier to capture and hold harmonic feedback at varied frequencies, and chords maintain better clarity.

It made me think. "Ok they know what they are talking about."

Here is the thing, I have to LES PAULS. Non-Floyd guitars, they recommend a F-spaced pickup for the neck position and I had my dad order ALL Standard Spaced Humbuckers for both guitars. Did I make a bad mistake?

diditfortehlulz I am not sure, I am going to keep them for a while just incase the DiMarzio's are crap and I say "Ok get this crap out of my guitar I am going back to Gibson's" So I think I will hold on to them for a while.
Quote by bemiswins

Okay, cool. If you ever want to get rid of them, let me know!
Now it's 1984
^ Will do.
Quote by bemiswins

^^^ That is great, I was worried that I got the wrong type of pickup.

That is true and my father said that too that every company says that their pickups are best. But I have heard that DiMarzio's are great pickups so I think I will give them a chance and see how they sound.
Quote by bemiswins

Quote by Benguitar2
^^^ That is great, I was worried that I got the wrong type of pickup.

That is true and my father said that too that every company says that their pickups are best. But I have heard that DiMarzio's are great pickups so I think I will give them a chance and see how they sound.

Can I suggest one company before you try DiMarzio? Check out a company called High Order. They're awesome pickups that are made to your spec, for less than brand new DiMarzio's. I use a High Order A2, and it's the best PAF I've ever used, bar none.
Now it's 1984
^ Hmm, I was thinking I would go with a "big" name company because if your company is popular and artists like Steve Vai use your product it must be good?

Like I know you are happy with your humbuckers and I am very happy for you, but do you have 2 Gibson Les Pauls? (I am not arguing with you) I am just trying to make sure you see things from my perspective.
Quote by bemiswins

Quote by diditfortehlulz
Can I suggest one company before you try DiMarzio? Check out a company called High Order. They're awesome pickups that are made to your spec, for less than brand new DiMarzio's. I use a High Order A2, and it's the best PAF I've ever used, bar none.

Ok, I was looking at the High Order pickups, and they appear to be very very very good pickups. Although I listened to the two artists that they have song demos for and I thought the pickups sounded great except I thought they sounded to "stratocaster-y" lol. I mean they sounded great but they aren't really the sound and tone I am going for.

I also think it maybe too late, because I THINK my dad has ALREADY ordered the DiMAarzio's.

The tone/sound I am going for is.

Doug Aldrich/Slash/Steve Clark/Paramore.
Quote by bemiswins

UPDATE.

The black neck Air Classic humbucker and the cream bridge humbucker are on their way. My father just ordered them about 1 hour ago they are coming from Washington State. Both pickups are DiMarzio Standard spaced Air Classics.

I can't wait to get them and have them installed.

We only ordered two humbuckers to see if I like them in one guitar and if I like them we will order another pair.

!!!
Quote by bemiswins

Interesting thread, this one.

TS: I want Dimarzio Air Classics, what do you think?

EVERYONE: Get something different, you'll like it more.

TS: Thanks, so I'll get the Air classics.

That being said, they're alright pickups, but as the chap above me says... have a think about getting a different set for the other LP. Sure, if it's a gigging backup it'll sound slightly different if you are forced to switch, but on the other hand, for recording work, it'll sound slightly different and you can utilise the tone.
True, I kinda wanted the same pickups in both guitars because I can tell the difference in tone just by playing them even if they have the same pickups in them. I am not really looking for two sounds I am looking for one great tone that I love and I want to stick with that.
Quote by bemiswins

Ok, the guitar shop that we ordered the Air Classics from said they are out of stock and will be in stock in 2 weeks. We got a refund.

I am thinking Seymour Duncan's? Alnico 2 Pros? (like Slash!)

I am going for a Slash-y tone so? Is that a good idea?

Should I get Alnico 2 Pros or should I try to find someone else who sells the Air Classics?
Quote by bemiswins

Well, you're playing through a Bassman, and Slash plays through a Marshall Jubilee - vewry different amps.

Don't expect to get his tone just from pickups. You should be able to get a warm smooth tone, though. Should be great for blues, classic rock, and hard rock - with the right setup.

Still think you should go for two different sets...
Your Goldtop has humbuckers, right?
^^Correct, my Goldtop has Humbuckers in it.

Yes I know I am playing through a Bassman, and I don't expect to get his "exact" tone, I would just like something more "Slash-y".
Quote by bemiswins

Quote by Benguitar2
Ok, the guitar shop that we ordered the Air Classics from said they are out of stock and will be in stock in 2 weeks. We got a refund.

I am thinking Seymour Duncan's? Alnico 2 Pros? (like Slash!)

I am going for a Slash-y tone so? Is that a good idea?

Should I get Alnico 2 Pros or should I try to find someone else who sells the Air Classics?

If you want Alnico 2 pickups then get a pair of Duncan Pearly Gates instead...thinking about it they'll probably work better with the bassman as they have a little more treble response than the Alnico Pro IIs. My vote still goes to two different sets, one pair of Pearly Gates and one Custom 5/59 set...you'll have pretty much everything covered then.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^^Thanks.

So everyone is basically saying "STAY AWAY FROM THE DIMARZIO's" ha ha

Ok so I will check out Seymour Duncan's website and see some of their models and check out the Pearly Gates and stuff.

Are these any good, what caught my eye was what genres they are good for Pop, Jazz, Country, Classic Rock, Hard Rock.

I play a lot of Pop, Classic Rock and Hard Rock. and ("Alternative")

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh11_custom_cus/
Quote by bemiswins

Last edited by Benguitar2 at Apr 2, 2008,
Dimarzio make great pickups, but for some reason I feel more comfortable with Duncans for Les Paul types. The Custom Custom is a good pickup but probably more aimed at brighter, strat-style guitars, the Custom 5 would be the best choice for you out of the 3 Custom variants.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah, does anyone have personal experience using them in a Gibson Les Paul?
Quote by bemiswins

Quote by Benguitar2
Yeah, does anyone have personal experience using them in a Gibson Les Paul?

I have one in an Epi Les Paul, makes it sound like an angrier, raunchier and downright sleazier Les Paul.

If the Custom 5 was a person it'd be Tommy Lee...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^^ Nice!
Quote by bemiswins

speaking of pafs i just got this 76 ibanez lawsuit les paul and the p ups in it are amazingly paf like, if you could find any on ebay they d probably be cheaper, they re called super 70s
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
Ibanez pickups on a Les Paul?! lol Or are they DiMarzio's?

I am still feeling pulled to the Duncan Alnico Pros.

This is the tone I am trying to get. (I would LOVE if I could even get close to it.)

Listen to the intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrKhoPOvdXg&feature=related
Quote by bemiswins

Quote by Benguitar2
Ibanez pickups on a Les Paul?! lol Or are they DiMarzio's?

I am still feeling pulled to the Duncan Alnico Pros.

This is the tone I am trying to get. (I would LOVE if I could even get close to it.)

Listen to the intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrKhoPOvdXg&feature=related

You don't want an Alnico Pro 2 in the bridge then, too warm, too sweet sounding and too soft an attack..that clip pretty much nailed on my Custom 5 recommendation.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

OK!!! Then if the Custom 5's are anywhere near sounding like that, then they have me sold. I will check them out.

The only thing that I can find wrong with the pickups are Seymour Duncan website says they are "More vintage, with less distortion." :\ But other wise they appear to be perfect for my guitars.
Quote by bemiswins

Last edited by Benguitar2 at Apr 2, 2008,
Honestly, with your rig it's the standout Duncan by a mile. Not for the neck though...59, Pearly Gates or Alnico Pro 2 would compliment it nicely.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^^^ I think I will go with the Custom 5's for the bridge and the Pearly Gates (zebra) for the neck. : )

One guitar down one more to go.

Or do I do the same thing?
Quote by bemiswins

Page 1 of 3