I pretty much have the rolling technique nailed when doing big sweeps, but when doing 3 and 4 string sweeps I struggle with my left hand:

E||--13-11-13-11-10-----------------------10-||
B||----------------------11-----------------11----||
G||-------------------------10-----------10-------||
D||----------------------------12-10-12----------||
A||--------------------------------------------------||
E||--------------------------------------------------||

Which left hand technique will sound best, rolling or fretting normally?
that's weird. i usually have little problem with these, but a ****load of problems with 5 and 6-string sweeps. i fret normally but just try to move my fingers fast.

since we're on that topic, is it easier to roll on the big sweeps? because i've always been really sloppy with rolling.
I had a feeling they have to be fretted does anyone actually roll on these or does everyone fret?

I find it very easy to roll big sweeps because there is no independent finger motions, it's just one big hand motion that, for me, is easier to do.

I find that with big sweeps, I definitely have to use the rhythm pickup and and I mute the strings that i'm not fretting with my palm.
alright, i know sweeping can be a hard thing to learn, but here's the deal.

if you're jumping to different frets as you move up and down the strings, such as in the diagram below...

E||-------------12---------------------||
B||----------13---13------------------||
G||------12----------12---------------||
D||---14----------------14------------||
A||15-----------------------15--------||
E||-------------------------------------||

...then just fret the notes.

if there are 2 or more strings in a row where you're playing the same fret, such as in the diagram below...

E||----------------13----------------------||
B||-------------12---12-------------------||
G||---------12----------12----------------||
D||------12----------------12-------------||
A||---14-----------------------14---------||
E||15-----------------------------15------||

...then you're going to roll over the 12's that i bolded. BE SURE to roll those 12's, because you don't want to hear them ringing out.
Quote by ixelion
I pretty much have the rolling technique nailed when doing big sweeps, but when doing 3 and 4 string sweeps I struggle with my left hand:

E||--13-11-13-11-10-----------------------10-||
B||----------------------11-----------------11----||
G||-------------------------10-----------10-------||
D||----------------------------12-10-12----------||
A||--------------------------------------------------||
E||--------------------------------------------------||

Which left hand technique will sound best, rolling or fretting normally?

That kind of sweep should be fretted normally because it's basically a smaller part of a larger C-shape 5 string sweep.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Oh ok that makes sense, however:

Do you mute non fretted strings the same way in both techniques? I find that using the palm while rolling to be very clean, should I do the same thing with fretted sweeps?