how high should the pickups be for a Gibson es-335? and while im hear how do you tell how high they should be on any guitar?
just by sound, really, it just makes them louder, they seem quiet raise them, if one seems quieter then another then raise that one
Yes sir thats right

One thing you have to look out for is overly close pups, they can pull on the string and kill your sustain and intonation.
In my opinion, as high as you can get them, while still leaving a comfortable amount of room for picking the string without hitting the pickups or having the string buzz against the pickups. Also, balance both of them so they are at the same volume.
My Gear:
'05 ESP LTD EC-400
'67 Gibson ES-120T (Original)
'05 Vox AD30VT
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Black Face (Original)
Quote by Dalroth
In my opinion, as high as you can get them, while still leaving a comfortable amount of room for picking the string without hitting the pickups or having the string buzz against the pickups. Also, balance both of them so they are at the same volume.

Depends what you're going for.

If you want more output, a bit more treble and bass, you're going to want em higher.

I don't really put much thought into mine, as long as they're far enough away that they don't kill sustain they're fine, but I play Metal, not so much Jazz.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer

If you want more output, a bit more treble and bass, you're going to want em higher.

MESA - You had me at more... plus one here.