Page 1 of 5
so i'm having a phone conversation with my REALLY religious uncle. He's on the phone with me, and he's talking about something, i'm not really paying attention, but all of a sudden, he says "But hey, god's in charge, right?"

I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to offend him, but I didn't want to state my religious affiliation, so I said "I guess." Then I guess he decided to push the issue. "Isn't that right?!" I was baffled, so I quickly changed the subject, and I don't think he noticed.

I've started to notice that alot of people do this sort of thing, like a subtle pushing of religion on people. What's worse is, I think he KNOWS my religious affiliation, and did it just to pressure me. -.-;

But yeah. I just want to say to people like my uncle "I realize that you have religious beliefs, and I respect that. It would be nice if you'd respect the fact that I don't."

Discuss.
Why don't you? Is there a reason or is it just "cool" not to be religious?
myspace.com/theunwantedjellybean <--- Add It!
i hate religion. im in a really bad spot with it. my dad is a pastor and im 14 now and i've stopped believing in God and all that ****. Neither of my parents know that i dont believe, cause im scared to tell them. They do all this religious crap all the time: we listen to bible stories most nights at supper and stuff like that.
religion is dumb and wastes 5 hours of my sunday
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by rock_on986

No, its unproven. So why should he?
I've been here since '04.

Quote by rock_on986

I'm not quite sure which annoys me more, the belief that all Christians are wacked out nutjobs or that all Atheists only do it to be cool.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Well it's a sensitive issue, I think regardless of your view on religion it's wrong either way to push said view on anyone.

I believe in God and if someone says something I think is out of line I'll say I don't appreciate it but I can also take a joke. I'll never force religion on my kids when I'm older but will give them an introduction to it.
Quote by Bubban
I'm not quite sure which annoys me more, the belief that all Christians are wacked out nutjobs or that all Atheists only do it to be cool.

Agreed.
Quote by black-sabbath
i hate religion. im in a really bad spot with it. my dad is a pastor and im 14 now and i've stopped believing in God and all that ****. Neither of my parents know that i dont believe, cause im scared to tell them. They do all this religious crap all the time: we listen to bible stories most nights at supper and stuff like that.

why are you too scared to tell them if, in your words, you think god and all that is ****
signed,
your favorite poster
All the jammers for Jesus are gunna go crazy on you cuz you're not a bible thumper for posting this thread.

I let people know that try to shove religion down my throat that they can take the same anally.

You should as well.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Okay clarification time. That was a serious question. I'm not at all applying that all atheists do it to be cool, I know to many that do have reasons. So I was wondering if there's an interesting story here or not.
myspace.com/theunwantedjellybean <--- Add It!
Quote by Bubban

Well said.
im religious and shit, but i also hate it when people push their beliefs on anyone. It could be atheists and agnostics too, when they say that religious folk are dumb****s. I have agnostic friends, but i don't say anythin to them, and when i do something cuz of religion, they know not to critisize me. People just need to respect others beliefs. Tell your uncle off if you need to
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Quote by black-sabbath

You're 14. That's reason enough, I mean, you must know everything on earth when you're 14. Let's ignore the fact that hormones rule your body more then any rational thought, and psychologically you're experiencing the most drastic changes of your life, so you definitely have a clear mind to make these sorts of decisions. Be cool and hate God pal, join the club.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
I don't know about all the other atheists, but for me, I don't believe in religion because I don't have that "feeling" inside me, nothing pushes me to acknowledge my faith. I treat it as God touches me, not the other way. So if i don't feel his presense then I am just bs-ing when I go to church or whatever.

I do go to religious places once in a while because i respect my friends and families belief. And sometimes its interesting to hear the hymns and read from the bible even if i am not a Christian.

I wish i was a buddhist though, because they are all about that personal spirituality to achieve inner peace which attainable wheter or not you are religious.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by black-sabbath

start a black metal band. Then you won't have to tell them
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Yeti60
I don't know about all the other atheists, but for me, I don't believe in religion because I don't have that "feeling" inside me, nothing pushes me to acknowledge my faith. I treat it as God touches me, not the other way. So if i don't feel his presense then I am just bs-ing when I go to church or whatever.

I do go to religious places once in a while because i respect my friends and families belief. And sometimes its interesting to hear the hymns and read from the bible even if i am not a Christian.

I wish i was a buddhist though, because they are all about that personal spirituality to achieve inner peace which attainable wheter or not you are religious.

thats how a lot of my friends are, they just don't feel God. Id also like to say kudos to you for respecting your friends and family's beliefs and bein tolerant
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Personally if its not completely proven then it can't be true. I don't know whether to believe in god or not. Also like Yeti60 i dont get that feeling.
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
Quote by rock_on986

yeh. The cool thing.
thanks cap'n curry, i try to be tolerant of others and then i just ask them to return the favor.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by rock_on986
Okay clarification time. That was a serious question. I'm not at all applying that all atheists do it to be cool, I know to many that do have reasons. So I was wondering if there's an interesting story here or not.

I have seen nothing to convince me a Christian God exists, and little to convince me that I would want to believe in Him anyway. I don't feel I need the presence of an organised religion in my life.

For myself, I knew there couldn't be a Christian God when I saw my Grandad screaming and writhing in agony for three days as he died from multiple organ failure and as flies lingered around his gangrenous foot. No all loving, all powerful God would allow someone to go through that much pain and indignity.
Quote by Bubban

Not all Christians are nutjobs, in fact most of them just go to church, talk to the people there, then go home like any other person. And of course not all Atheists do it to be cool, most real Atheists have legitimate reasons.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
I have a great faith in God and Jesus, yet I hate pushing your religion on people. Religion sucks. Jesus said it himself. I can't seem to find the direct quote, but it was along the lines of "Don't believe or follow religion, but have faith and follow Christ". You see, religion is one of man's evil creations. It's simple faith and belief that gets you to Heaven IMHO.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

honestly, i dont think it is just religious people who push stuff on others, cuz my grandma's church is awesome, great people, nice, not judgemental. but my friends mom's church on the other hand is full of hate towards things. i think it doesnt even have to do with relgion, its just those people's personalities and they latch on to certain ideas, and when a bunch of people get together with the same type of ideas and personalities, then they develop very strong feelings toward others that do not agree with them. it just happens to be about religion, it could potentially be about anything (race for example). for instance they called churches like my grandma's church "weak and r not preaching the true word of god". and my grandma's church says "there r some churches who r really chilled, and others who r more aggressive, we like to be active, so both at the same time" and i really admired the pastor after that.
went to catholic school for like 9 years, and i wasnt convinced of anything, like if God was real then why did that kid 2 grades older than me die on christmas when he was in 8th grade, i dont think god really gave him a fighting chance
Quote by bingeandletgo
I have a great faith in God and Jesus, yet I hate pushing your religion on people. Religion sucks. Jesus said it himself. I can't seem to find the direct quote, but it was along the lines of "Don't believe or follow religion, but have faith and follow Christ". You see, religion is one of man's evil creations. It's simple faith and belief that gets you to Heaven IMHO.

You could say that religion is man's useless attempt to make himself acceptable unto God.

And I agree with you.
Nope. None at all.
Yea I was in class one day and someone was talking about drugs or something, and a kid goes "God doesn't like you doing that," but it was in a joking manner. I was sitting across the classroom and said loudly, "If only he was real!" I was completely serious, but luckily it had sort of a joking tone to it because at that point everyone the class was staring at me and they were like "OMG, I can not believe you just said that...." So I was like "Uh.......JUST KIDDING."

Oh yea by the way, here are religious people

-When someone almost dies, but doesn't. "God saved his life, praise the Lord!"
-Someone dies a brutal death. "Well....um...God works in 'mysterious' ways." "God has a plan for them." etc.
Last edited by johnpetrucci05 at Mar 28, 2008,
As was said by once a great person, and shall be relived in this pic:

My friend at school is banned from Jahova's witnesses for trying to sell them a darwin book. Do that to your uncle the next time he pushes you, that'll shut him up.
Quote by BladedFish

My friend at school is banned from Jahova's witnesses for trying to sell them a darwin book. Do that to your uncle the next time he pushes you, that'll shut him up.

Please, don't insult religions and **** because there are always comebacks.

Quote by National_Anthem
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Worst-Atheists (because 90% of them are arrogant bastards)
Best- Music

90% of people are arrogant bastards, regardless of religion.
Quote by GeneralGrim
But yeah. I just want to say to people like my uncle "I realize that you have religious beliefs, and I respect that. It would be nice if you'd respect the fact that I don't."

QFW.
Quoted for Wisdom.

It's a shame that not enugh people see it that way.

The sad truth is that both sides are equally guilty of looking down their nose at anyone who doesn't agree.

Edit: ^ I've seen both of those, and they still crack me up.
Last edited by archangels666 at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by BladedFish

Lol, and they are always trying to sell me Jehovah's Witness books, maybe I should "ban" them. I could care less what people believe, but I can't stand people attacking that which they have no idea on. It seems that ATHEISTS know more about religion than religious people, usually they always seem more informed, in general. Hardly any great minds in history were very religious as well.

My parents always try to attack every religion and say it is wrong when they have pretty much no clue on anyway of them. Here is their proof that evolution is not real: "A dog can NOT give birth to a cat, therefore evolution is not real." Simply put they are so ignorant lol, I can't even begin....sigh.
Quote by wemonir
why are you too scared to tell them if, in your words, you think god and all that is ****

It's probably a lot easier said than done. I'm not quite sure about what I believe, but if my family is anything like black-sabbath's, the thought of telling them is scary. My family isn't even over-the-top religious, but they are fairly religious. I'd feel like I was disappointing them and deceiving them. =\
Page 1 of 5