I am trying to make a solo similar to something by Slash. Like Paradise City, or Sweet Child O Mine. I want to know what scales he uses to improvise in. I use the Major & Minor pentatonic scales. Now ut I hear he uses other ones. Which ones does he use for them? And does anyone know what scale he uses to improvise then play the Godfather theme? Thanks.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
are you trying to write a solo or improvise?
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ok so first off if your trying to sound like slash then learn the solos wich you are trying to emulate and understand how they work. Slash's style isnt THAT complex but it can be daunting to begin with. Even if you can play his stuff at full speed make sure you undersstand i thats the key thing.
Yeah Slash doesn't improvise his recorded solos. They're written and learned.
Quote by Blackvelvet
Ok so first off if your trying to sound like slash then learn the solos wich you are trying to emulate and understand how they work. Slash's style isnt THAT complex but it can be daunting to begin with. Even if you can play his stuff at full speed make sure you undersstand i thats the key thing.

dont listen to this guy

learning other peoples material wont teach you musch about a players style
its easier to just listen to their music

and just learn all of the Pentatonic boxes
and then get into probaly A or D

and bust out some improv through the boxes

sounds hard

plays easy
if you want to improvise like him then you are more than 1/2 way there if you already know the scales he uses in certain songs . Now you just have to listen for little licks that are his trademark and how he tends to phrase his solos and then emulate that
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
I saw he uses the Harmonic minor scale. And I am an EXPERT at using the major & minor pentatonic scales up and down the freboard.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Quote by What_is_my_name
I saw he uses the Harmonic minor scale. And I am an EXPERT at using the major & minor pentatonic scales up and down the freboard.

Where did you see this?
In the videos I've seen, and from what I've read he says that he keeps it simple. Major and minor pentatonic will pretty much cover anything I've ever heard from Slash.

Harmonic minor will get you a completely different sound, either a very exotic sound, or a metal sound if you use it right.

A lot of people, including myself, usually ask that question. "Ok, I know these scales but how do I make it sound like a solo".

You only really need pentatonic for most rock stuff, and because Slash can take something simple and write such amazing memorable songs and solos with it is why I think he's a genious.

And you don't even have to stay in a particular scale, put any notes in it you want, jsut play what you hear in your head.
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Jumboshrmp at Mar 28, 2008,
while what you said is true, playing what you hear in your head for a rock solo typically is in a pentatonic scale
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12