I've been messing about on an old clarinet and I decided to learn it properly. But I'm having a major issue in that after a few bars I'm really breathless and can't then play.

Any ideas on how to sort it out???
Try doing random breathing exercises throughout the day.
Breathe in 5 seconds, then out 5 seconds.
Same thing, but with steps.
Then there are others, but I don't remember them.

Oh, yes, yoga.

EDIT: Circular breathing is an advance technique that takes a lot of practice to make it sound good, I'd start with exercises first.
The person below me is probably a homosexual.
Quote by Snipe
Try doing random breathing exercises throughout the day.
Breathe in 5 seconds, then out 5 seconds.
Same thing, but with steps.
Then there are others, but I don't remember them.

Oh, yes, yoga.

other exercises are to breathe in for 2 sec. and breathe out for 10. decrease the amount of time for intake and increase the amount for outtake.
Quote by heaven's gate
circular breathing (I think that's what it's called)

thats what its called, its practically impossible for a new player though. unless you have prior expierience with instruments that require air, dont try to learn to circular breathe

just do breathing excersizes (breath out as long as possible with breaths inbetween at lease 5 min a day will drastically improve your ability to play without getting winded)
When i die, i wanna be burried upside down...so that anybody who doesnt like me can kiss my ass.

marilize leguana!
just practice. in exercises, write out specific breathing points, and only breath then. may seem tough at first, but it gets easier the more you practice.
Take big full breaths, Make sure that your lungs are completely filled. Also, make sure your body is positioned right. Doing things like not relaxing your shoulders and sitting straight will really make it hard to hold your breath for longer amounts of time.
brnh.bandcamp.com
If this is the first wind instrument you are learning, then it'll be tough for a while. Just breathe when you need to and keep playing and build up your skills. Sit up straight, and breathe in quickly. I started clarinet so many years ago I forget what its like to have troulbe breathing.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards