Why is it that when a band becomes popular, they start believing that they are so important that they have a responsibilty to sing about world issues?

Linkin Park went from being angry so singing campfire songs about pollution.
Green Day went from singing about masturbation to singing about the hypocrisy of governments... Or something.
Bullet For My Valentine lost their emo side and started singing about war.

My point is, I want lyrics I can relate to, I couldnt care less about poverty in some far-off country, and I dont give a s*** about global warming. I want to feel some emotional "thing" when I listen to music.

That all sounds terribly emo.

I have alot to say about this in my head, but when I translate it into words I dont think the message quite gets across... I hope you get it!

Benji
Quote by Benjibum
Why is it that when a band becomes popular, they start believing that they are so important that they have a responsibilty to sing about world issues?

Green Day went from singing about masturbation to singing about the hypocrisy of governments... Or something.

My point is, I want lyrics I can relate to, I couldnt care less about poverty in some far-off country, and I dont give a s*** about global warming. I want to feel some emotional "thing" when I listen to music.

I have alot to say about this in my head, but when I translate it into words I dont think the message quite gets across... I hope you get it!

Benji

I hear ya...
You need some Springsteen. He's got political songs that you can also compare to because they're written to have 2 sides.
Set Up

Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Fender Princeton Chorus Amp
Fender Acoustic 12 String
Samick Acoustic 6 String
Line 6 POD X3 Live
I dunno...I think a lot of people just grow up, and when they do, those are the things that are close to them, that they relate to. As they grow, they become more compassionate. This throws away more self centered songs with topics like masturbation and how angry you are in place of topics that concern not only the singer but others that he may not be in the same situation as, but empathize with.
yeah
Quote by Benjibum

Benji

Because your broken heart is more important than the situation in Darfur, or climate change, or poverty in developing countries..
Sorry, but welcome to the 21st century.. The world isn't exactly a yellow brick road adorned with sunshine and lollipops anymore.
Well, here's the thing...There are two sides to this.

Some will tell you that it is "selling out"-a band losing their "edge" and trying to appeal to the masses with songs that a normal, angry, liberal american can relate to.

Or...some will say it is "maturing"-I mean, a bunch of dudes in their mid-40s singing about masturbation and adolescent angst tends to not make sense.

Either way, I personally find political activism among artists annoying. I want to hear you sing, not lecture me on how bad the world is. I'm listening to music, not my biology teacher. But, whatever. Some people like that kind of music. It's all opinion.
The.
This happens because bands get older. And older people tend to care about people other than themselves. In other words, they become more mature...
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
I think Linkin Park just decided to hop from one trend to another. The whole Limp Bizkit/P.O.D. rap-rock garbage thing isn't making money anymore, so they decided to jump on the "emo" pop rock trend, and to me, they sound like a less-talented Fall Out Boy. So just forget about that band altogether. Sorry for the rant, but I've been holding that in for a while.

Anyway, many artists like to sing about politics and social issues. Some do so because it's popular and they think it gives them some sort of politi-cred, I guess. Most do it because they're sincerely concerned and feel the need to urge people to do something. Some base their entire careers around it - activists first, musicians second. That's the story of many, many punk bands.

The bottom line, really, is that if you don't like it, nobody's forcing you to listen to it. There are plenty of bands that sing about the kind of stuff you like to hear and can relate to.

Also, U2 sucks.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Anyone famous these days have got it into their heads that they NEED to put their point across about some ****in moronic idea.

FFS, I don't care what REM think about ****, just focus on making an album that isn't a waste of money... I don't care about U2 and Africa, I don't care about Tibet, IRAQ... when I listen to music I want a song I can sing along to that touches a nerve and inspires me to play better. Not write a letter to Bush...
I can appreciate what you're saying, even though I don't agree.

Some people listen to the music for just that, the music. Maybe it's because I've grown up listening to punk and hardcore that I see it as being more than just sound sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I like technical bands too and I can appreciate a good riff or hook or whatever, but the things that inspire me aren't the things that inspire you. I want lyrics that someone else has written for their own benefit, I want to see their heart and soul poured out onto paper. If I can relate to them, even better, in fact fantastic, but the number one reason for anyone writing has to be because they believe in what they say. If that's to do with the Darfur crisis, global warming, third world poverty, child labour, government suppression, whatever, then fine.

I think either some of you need to rephrase some of your arguments or you might be a touch insensitive. You honestly would rather kids were born into sweatshop work so they can make you nice bright white trainers than you listened to lyrics you couldn't 'relate to'? At the end of the day - you either listen or you don't. At least you have a stereo and a safe, warm house in which to listen to it (presumably).
Quote by kryptonite22
I think either some of you need to rephrase some of your arguments or you might be a touch insensitive.

First off, I live in Northern Ireland. I'm sure I don't have to give you a history lesson about the ****ed up events of the last 30 years. However, during the whole incident, all I ever saw was actors, musicians giving out the free Ireland/save the UK speech and then help fund raise for the various terrorists.

I lived this ****. I do care children are abused etc but considering how messed up these celebs lives are and how messed up their kids end up, as the saying goes, charity starts at home.

But hey, Tom Cruise says scientology is great, so go join them.
I get what you're saying, and the fact is that U2 is the only band that can really get away with getting political in their music. That is simply because they come from a country that has some issues. Anyone else getting political is simply trying to get in the spotlight.
^America doesn't have political issues?

For my part, if a band wants to get political, they have the right to.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Quote by Benjibum
My point is, I want lyrics I can relate to, I couldn't care less about poverty in some far-off country, and I dont give a s*** about global warming. I want to feel some emotional "thing" when I listen to music.

I think you need to broaden your mind. Because one day, you will care about these things.
Quote by nirvanaisking92
I get what you're saying, and the fact is that U2 is the only band that can really get away with getting political in their music.

U2 simply can't get away with making music at all.

Off the top of my head, I could name 50 bands that make better political music than U2, and probably 10 or 15 countries with worse problems than Ireland.

The world needs a Sudanese punk band right now, I think.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by Jose Chung
First off, I live in Northern Ireland. I'm sure I don't have to give you a history lesson about the ****ed up events of the last 30 years. However, during the whole incident, all I ever saw was actors, musicians giving out the free Ireland/save the UK speech and then help fund raise for the various terrorists.

I lived this ****. I do care children are abused etc but considering how messed up these celebs lives are and how messed up their kids end up, as the saying goes, charity starts at home.

But hey, Tom Cruise says scientology is great, so go join them.
Maybe I'm missing the point here but I can't quite recognise how this slots into our debate? I can see why you'd be angry, and every movement or cause is going to have its bandwagon jumpers who aren't worth the time of day, but I'd say it might be better to try and rally against those people directly rather than the beliefs or causes they attempt to attach themselves to. As you will know, those are still real and terrifying to those going through it.

Some people, like the actors you mention, are timewasters. Others aren't, though. It's up to us as listeners and citizens in general to sift them out.

It's like bands (for example, Rise Against), who might use political imagery in their videos. The band themselves, although making decent enough popular punk music, are on a major label and get a lot of stick for that. But when they show images of animals being slughtered or kids in sweatshops, even if you hate the way the band has attached itself to something to maybe promote their image as a caring, torch-carrying band, you are made aware of something bigger than music, and you can go from there if you choose, possibly forgetting about the band entirely.
^ Rise Against is a bad example because they've been all about the message from the start. But I completely agree besides that.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
I know what you're saying, but they have come under criticism from a lot of people who don't realise that. Not me personally, but people in general.
Quote by suthy16

Because your broken heart is more important than the situation in Darfur, or climate change, or poverty in developing countries..
Sorry, but welcome to the 21st century.. The world isn't exactly a yellow brick road adorned with sunshine and lollipops anymore.

Delete the last word of the post and it's accurate.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
yea sometimes bands go on the political side, but they do mature and if thats what they want to do to attract audiences as they also mature, they can do it.
but since i'm still young i like to hear music i can relate to as a teen. but as my friend Slash put it "I'm a musician, not a politician. Those two should not mix."
It's not up to you to decide what they write lyrics about. Musicians write music for themselves, not for you. If they want to write political lyrics, who the **** cares if you can't relate to it. They're writing the lyrics to express themselves.

And you say you want some "emotional thing" in the music you hear? What is more emotional than how terrible things in the world are? If the horrific state of humanity doesn't get you emotional, you're part of the problem.
There are many factors influencing the "U2 effect". I hate to see it happen. If the band doesn't break up, or dissolve due to the death of a member, it's usually the unfortunate fate that becomes a reality should that band continue.