Ok, im trying to learn purple haze by jimmy page. i started to play the intro, and it sounds horrible on my guitar. i dont know if its the way im playing, what my amp setting are, or what it is. help would be wonderful .
Quote by Guitar HERO27
Ok, im trying to learn purple haze by jimmy page. i started to play the intro, and it sounds horrible on my guitar. i dont know if its the way im playing, what my amp setting are, or what it is. help would be wonderful .

WUT
Well, obviously you are playing a made up song...

Seriously, is your guitar tuned properly (1/2 step down) and is the tab accurate?
Somebody's high.
Set Up

Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Fender Princeton Chorus Amp
Fender Acoustic 12 String
Samick Acoustic 6 String
Line 6 POD X3 Live
oh yeah jimmy page. No it was Hendrix haha we all make mistakes. is your guitar in tune? and i think i was reading one of jimmys tab books and it was really weird. i got diff tabs though and they worked. they might be the weird ones
Artists have individual setups that aren't easily replicated with low end gear. You're going to have a very hard time getting the same sound as you hear in the song no matter what you do to tweak your settings.

Now I haven't heard the song myself but if someone else can help me out he might be using a wah pedal? ****ed if I know, but it IS Hendrix :P
As suggested, try downtuning your guitar 1/2 a step if it's bothering you that much. Also fiddle with your amp settings. Jimi had a really retro fuzzy tone for that song, so if your amp has a modern voicing, that would make it sound weird too.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Yeah you're probably out of tune as Hendrix tuned down a half step, in Eb standard.

He had a tone that was fuzzy but not so much distorted. And you will never get the right tone for the solo because he had an octavia that was calibrated wrong, and we'll never know if that was a fluke or if he did it on purpose.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Considering the tab has a four-star rating, I wouldn't assume it's 100% accurate, but yeah, half step down. And distortion too...
The solo is slightly inaccurate I think. Try checking other tabs too. I tend to piece 2 tabs together if I like a certain part from one and a certain part from the other.
actrually hendrixs first album was in standard tuning, so purple haze was in standard. however live he played it a half step down, or whatever tuning hendrix felt like using because he could have 2 strings to play it and still do it better than anyone
I'm pretty sure Purple Haze is in standard.

Just make sure you are tuned correctly and play along / listen to the record ALOT. Nothing helps more than listening to the song over and over. He plays with a very distinct style that you just can't duplicate by looking at a tab.

edit - he also used his thumb for chords instead of barring with his index which gives it a different sound.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
well, you can play it standart or 1/2 step down, it'S the same if you don'tplay it while you're listening to the song. purple haze is an quite easy song, but cool! i like playing it!

(i didn't even know jimi played his guitar always 1/2 step down)
Forum posts total : 1 (6.52 posts per day)
Quote by Tackleberry
Fuzz and a strat helps. DOesnt sound right n a humbucker guitar.

Hendrix played a Flying V from time to time and I'm sure I've seen some footage of him doing Purple Haze on it, I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT
Ok not Hendrix but sounds pretty damn good.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=iKajVuByH4U
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Last edited by Andy Jarvis at Mar 30, 2008,
Quote by Archie2012
Artists have individual setups that aren't easily replicated with low end gear. You're going to have a very hard time getting the same sound as you hear in the song no matter what you do to tweak your settings.

Now I haven't heard the song myself but if someone else can help me out he might be using a wah pedal? ****ed if I know, but it IS Hendrix :P

while that is true, if you had hendrix and another good guitarist sitting down right besides eachother, each playing the same guitar, through the same rig, the other guitarist would sound weird. you could get as close as you want to his tone, but only hendrix can play it with his feel.
why the hell did u bump this? moron.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
Quote by thespian948
why the hell did u bump this? moron.

+1
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by TheTroy
its JIMI HENDRIX dumbass. thats probably why it doesnt sound right.

If you had bothered to read the rest of the posts he realized he made a mistake, plus this thread had been dead for quite some time. So now who's the dumbass......DUMBASS.